Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Miles to empty - how does it know?  (Read 3854 times)

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Miles to empty - how does it know?
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2008, 10:17:38 PM »

here is one.. on a full tank, my gauge regesters 1/8 tank after about 50 miles, from there it is on the big E. Dealer tells me the float system is now a complete unit and they no longer can adjust them and i need a complete float sending unit installed. They also tell me that Harley has a severe shortage in these parts and it may be months before they can repace the unit. Well, yup, it's been months. Lets see, Jan to now.. thats almost 6 months... emm,, think I'll pick up the phone and call em'......
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 10:20:22 PM by sportygordy »

courter

• Senior CVO Member
  • Enjoying the RIDE!!

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon/Silver
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI Purple/Silver Flames
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2008, 10:48:15 PM »

here is one.. on a full tank, my gauge regesters 1/8 tank after about 50 miles, from there it is on the big E. Dealer tells me the float system is now a complete unit and they no longer can adjust them and i need a complete float sending unit installed. They also tell me that Harley has a severe shortage in these parts and it may be months before they can repace the unit. Well, yup, it's been months. Lets see, Jan to now.. thats almost 6 months... emm,, think I'll pick up the phone and call em'......
Sounds like a plan.  Any guesses on what they'll say? 

1)  It's normal
2)  Still waiting (read:  We didn't order it)
3)  You must have damaged it -- it's not covered
4)  ???

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2008, 11:03:28 PM »

I find it rather hard to believe that H-D couldn't come up with a fuel pump and sender assembly in 6 months while production has been curtailed due to slow sales.  If you think folks with leaking 110's are pissed, how do you think folks would react if they couldn't ride for 6 months waiting on a fuel pump. 

Suggest to your bullchitting dealer that he should drag one of those unsold bikes out of the warehouse and swap out the fuel pump and sender assembly.  He can wait for the part he obviously never ordered.  Bet you he can get one in a week or less if it means selling that bike.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Serkcus

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 Candy Cobalt SERK
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2008, 12:00:53 AM »

You may want to rethink that strategy.  :o  You may have inadvertently placed an after market set of pipes on your bike which would most certainly be the cause of  your problem with fuel gauge.  :'(

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2008, 10:35:41 AM »

Sounds like a plan.  Any guesses on what they'll say? 

1)  It's normal
2)  Still waiting (read:  We didn't order it)
3)  You must have damaged it -- it's not covered
4)  ???

5) all of the above

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2008, 10:38:28 AM »

I find it rather hard to believe that H-D couldn't come up with a fuel pump and sender assembly in 6 months while production has been curtailed due to slow sales.  If you think folks with leaking 110's are pissed, how do you think folks would react if they couldn't ride for 6 months waiting on a fuel pump. 

Suggest to your bullchitting dealer that he should drag one of those unsold bikes out of the warehouse and swap out the fuel pump and sender assembly.  He can wait for the part he obviously never ordered.  Bet you he can get one in a week or less if it means selling that bike.

Jerry

Man i needed 200.. anyway, fuel pump is fine... the sending unit is gone. But dealer tells me the whole thing is now one unit it it needs replaced as unit. I have no prblem riding... And i am calling dealer today for an update....

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2008, 11:26:33 AM »

Yesterday's ride light came on under 1/4 tank stopped for gas when gauge was at just above the E dot and got 4.11 gallons for 179 miles. I am happy with that so mine seems to have just under one gallon left at E.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2008, 12:16:24 PM »

I was gettin 30 now around 33 switchin to Mobil1...I need beer every 150 miles so that is when I fill the bike too!  :P

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2008, 01:58:04 PM »

The Beer Gauge... I like that :bananarock:

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2008, 09:12:11 PM »

Man i needed 200.. anyway, fuel pump is fine... the sending unit is gone. But dealer tells me the whole thing is now one unit it it needs replaced as unit. I have no prblem riding... And i am calling dealer today for an update....
Is there another dealer you can deal with? Maybe another dealer would like a new customer and by helping you out he would potentially be earning your business. Just a thought.
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2008, 01:57:49 PM »

If the dealers don't have them in stock there's gonna be a wait. Here's why:

The Fuel Pump is another one of those issues, like leaky head gaskets.   It seems the fuel pump on the '08s has been splitting and it pumps the fuel out the side instead of down to the injector.  From what I've found out it's usually only happened during the first 10000 miles so if you've gone over that you're probably safe.  I have two friends who've had '08 FLs (Nos SE) break down with the same issue.

However, 6 month's is rediculous and if that's the case find another dealer.  The wait is under 6 weeks let alone 6 months.  My guess is that since you didn't have the fuel pump issue and can still ride, they keep giving your pump to someone who has an issue keeping them from riding.  Which isn't fair to you and they should tell you the truth.  It's bad enough to have all these problems but to have some dealer lying and making the MoCo look even worse... Ugh.  Gonna be a long time till the reputation recovers.  I'm very glad I have the dealer I do.  They tell their customers the truth and truly care.  We need more like them.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

spepin

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
    • CVO2: 2006 VRSCSE2
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2008, 02:26:32 AM »

Okay, here's my problem -- does this sound like a bad (cracked) pump or bad sender?  Brand new bike -- on 2nd tank of gas.  Went for a long ride today and was watching the DTE display.  It was counting down with what I would consider reasonable accuracy, but then when it got to 42 miles to empty, that's where it stayed.  Shortly thereafter, the fuel light came on, so that part's working, but the DTE stayed at 42.  I never got a LO reading, and ended up running out of gas.  The other interesting thing is that when I refuelled, the DTE started at 42 and gradually climbed to 259 where it stayed for quite some time before dropping to a more believable 235.  At any rate, I ended up getting 227 miles on a tank filled to the brim.  Does that sound about right for the 110 motor?

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2008, 08:23:23 AM »

The 227 saounds right for a tank.  I get between 220 and 240 depending on how I'm driving.  The light coming on at 42 sounds right too.  The countdown is notoriously inaccurate for the first 50 and last 50 miles so nothing unusual on it going to 259 and staying there for a while.  However, the staying at 42 until you run out is not usual.  It sounds like whatever electronic gizmo does the calculating froze up... Maybe Microsoft makes it?  At any rate it, since the low fuel light is working correctly, it's probably not the sending unit on the fuel pump.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 25 queries.