Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2008 cuse3 cruise control poblem  (Read 2295 times)

aushog

• 2008 Frosty
  • Full CVO Member
2008 cuse3 cruise control poblem
« on: February 01, 2009, 05:50:41 PM »

Had a problem with my cruise control today.  At first, it wouldn't engage.  After trying several times, it engaged, and kept speeding up.  Finally, when 20mph faster than when I set it, I hit the brake and it disengaged.  Kind of scary!  I turned the fairing switch off for a while.

Later, when I was clear of traffic, I tried again.  Seemed to work just fine for a couple of minutes, holding correct speed.  Then without touching the switch or anything, it just started accelerating.  Again braked and it disengaged.  This time i left the fairing switch on.  A few minutes later, with the switch on, but cruise dis-engaged, it kicked in all on its own, accellerating again until I disengaged by braking.

Anybody had this happen?

JohnT.

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE3 ; '08 White
Re: 2008 cuse3 cruise control poblem
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 11:01:37 PM »

Personally, I never use the cruise control on my SECU, just because of possible problems like yours. I don't trust it.
Sometimes, after the dealer does their maintenance and I pick it up, the passing lamps are off and the cruise is on.
So I know they use it when road testing my bike, but I never have used it. I would have it repaired and then refrain
from using it, unless the feature is must have for you. Glad to hear that you didn't have a spill as a result. What if a
car would cut you off right as the thing was accelerating.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 11:05:35 PM »

Before I would engage the dealer about this I would try and reset the lashing on the cruise control takes only a few minutes.   
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

aushog

• 2008 Frosty
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 11:13:58 AM »

I found some threads for setting the cruise control lashing, but they are all pre-08.  2008 has fly by wire, so i'm guessing it would be different?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 01:31:26 PM »

Before I would engage the dealer about this I would try and reset the lashing on the cruise control takes only a few minutes.   

Cable lash won't apply to the newer bikes Harry.  Also wouldn't account for engagement all on it's own or creeping speed.  On the pre TBW systems a bad cable would at least account for the creeping speed sometimes.  Cable not moving freely in the housing that won't release.  Everytime you climb a little grade the system pulls the throttle harder to compensate.  Then when the grade evens out the cable is stuck in the "faster" position.  You can subtly pick up a fair bit of speed that way without realizing it.

None of that really matches what he's describing though.  Since it's all ECM based now.  Old cruise systems were pretty easy to diagnose.  New systems integration means no more service at home cruise control problems.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 01:55:16 PM »

Had a problem with my cruise control today.  At first, it wouldn't engage.  After trying several times, it engaged, and kept speeding up.  Finally, when 20mph faster than when I set it, I hit the brake and it disengaged.  Kind of scary!  I turned the fairing switch off for a while.

Later, when I was clear of traffic, I tried again.  Seemed to work just fine for a couple of minutes, holding correct speed.  Then without touching the switch or anything, it just started accelerating.  Again braked and it disengaged.  This time i left the fairing switch on.  A few minutes later, with the switch on, but cruise dis-engaged, it kicked in all on its own, accellerating again until I disengaged by braking.

Anybody had this happen?

As 2lane noted, since this is a throttle by wire unit, all the old cruise module and cable stuff won't apply.  However, one thing is still pretty much carryover, and that's the switches.  May have a switch sticking or a short in the wiring giving bogus signals to the ECM.  This is nothing to screw around with, you need to find a good technician to trouble shoot this and get it fixed right.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

aushog

• 2008 Frosty
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 02:16:48 PM »

Thanks guys.  I will just leave the cruise off until I get it in for service.  Waiting for parts to heads and heated grips, so can do it all at once, thiat is if they ever get the parts.

workingdan

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 07:52:55 PM »

Anybody had this happen?
My bike is doing the same thing. Mine is a 2007 so I have cables. They changed the cables and modgule and its still doing the same thing. Did you ever get yours fixed???
2018 SE ultra limited anniversary #460 V&H MK45 slip ons

Sold 2015 SE Road Glide Ultra. V&H power duals, V&H monster square mufflers. FP3 tuner

SOLD 2013 SE ultra. Fuel moto 2/1/2 head pipe, Pro touring mufflers, woods T222 cams, vision tuner.

SOLD 2007 SE ultra. full sac true duals with 2" baffels. big mouth air cleaner. Tman performance Stage 4 Thumper Series 110 " Kit. Tman 625 cam. SE race tuner. ultra style hard tour pak

SOLD 2005 SE FatBoy. Stage 1 AC, Thunderheader

aushog

• 2008 Frosty
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 08:51:09 PM »

Sorry to hear you're having trouble.  When I took it in, the service manager acted like they had seen it before, and knew exactly what to do.
They replaced the control switch (the one on the handlebar) and that fixed it.  Seems they sometimes short out in the "engage and accelerate" position.  Has not happened again.  Could be something different in the 2007, but i'm guessing the switch is the same.

Just to be sure I still leave the fairing switch off unless I'm on the highway where I might actually use the cruise control.

Good luck!

Page created in 0.232 seconds with 24 queries.