Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Changing Speakers on 2012 CVO Streetglide  (Read 2049 times)

Pancho

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Streetglide
Changing Speakers on 2012 CVO Streetglide
« on: July 31, 2015, 07:35:29 AM »

Hi Folks from the sunny UK.
Has anyone changed the OEM speakers on the 2012 CVO streetglide, if so, what to, and how good was the difference. HD rave about the boom system, but I just don't get any real clarity, even when playing with either base or treble, its even poor through the CD player and radio, the I pod sound equalizer is set on small speakers and that's the same.
For such a big amped system I would have expected more, and I know its taken 3 years to decide, but this last road trip, it really wound me up, listening to the Stones via tinney speakers, not good for the brain or the world.
Has anyone got any ideas?
Thanks and ride safe
Pancho

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
Re: Changing Speakers on 2012 CVO Streetglide
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 07:48:53 AM »

I recently changed the audio system on my 2013 Ultra Classic and am pleased with the results. I'd considered retaining the stock amp and just changing speakers, which is something you may which to investigate if the system has enough volume for you on the road. I ended up changing the amp as well because I needed to have it relocated as it was under my tour-pak, which I made detachable. My audio guy is no fan of the MoCo components - there are multiple superior options available, but of course it can get expensive. I had Focal speakers installed and the quality impact is significant. I could hear the stock system okay at highway speeds but the speaker clarity is much improved now.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 03:51:14 PM »

Hi Folks from the sunny UK.
Has anyone changed the OEM speakers on the 2012 CVO streetglide, if so, what to, and how good was the difference. HD rave about the boom system, but I just don't get any real clarity, even when playing with either base or treble, its even poor through the CD player and radio, the I pod sound equalizer is set on small speakers and that's the same.
For such a big amped system I would have expected more, and I know its taken 3 years to decide, but this last road trip, it really wound me up, listening to the Stones via tinney speakers, not good for the brain or the world.
Has anyone got any ideas?
Thanks and ride safe
Pancho
I'm a big fan of the J&M Audio stuff, plug n play, designed for the (actual) bike.

Be aware that no matter what you do, an amount of Bass will get "washed out" at speed on a bike, the frequencies of a bike at speed will cancel Bass, there's no getting around it...

If you want fuller sound, I recommend the Cardo Scala Rider headsets in a fullface / modular helmet, we don't leave home without 'em...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

tpb857

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2022 CVO Tri Glide
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Street Glide (traded)
    • CVO3: 2014 CVO Limited (sold)
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 06:58:02 AM »

When I got my 2012 CVO Street Glide, I was really disappointed with the sound as that bike was supposed to be all about sound.  Then my rear amp went and HD wouldn't warranty it.  I went with all Biketronics equipment.  4180 amp and their best speakers for the fairing, lowers and bags.  If I was doing it all over again, I would probably skip replacing the bag speakers.  I couldn't hear them very well anyway when the bike was going down the road.  I was happy with this system.

Pancho

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 03:56:46 AM »

Could you send me a link to a site, and a bit of an explanation on what you did and what wiring changes you did.
I had a mail from HOG Tunes, and they said I'd have to rip the whole HD system out, flash the radio, and start again, but that's a massive cost.
If I can improve, by changing some smaller areas it would be great, I really don't want to change the lot, so any help would be greatly received.
Thanks again
Pancho

tpb857

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2022 CVO Tri Glide
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Street Glide (traded)
    • CVO3: 2014 CVO Limited (sold)
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 05:36:13 AM »

Just Google Biketronics and it should take you right to their website.  You don't have to flash anything.  The 2012 is still the standard HK radio.  I took out the rear amp completely, changed all of the speakers and ran a Biketronics 4180 amp in the fairing.  That ran all 6 speakers.  I left the front amp in the fairing as there were too many wires running in and out of it to disconnect it.  I left it connected.  I have tried just replacing speakers in other bikes without installing a good aftermarket amp, but I wasn't impressed.   I really can't help you out beyond that since that was awhile ago and I don't have the bike anymore.   Bill at Biketronics is very knowledgeable and helpful.

Pancho

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 06:14:24 AM »

Thanks again for that, i'll be sure to contact them.
Regards
Pancho

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 25 queries.