Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Progressive front shocks  (Read 3177 times)

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
Progressive front shocks
« on: May 11, 2007, 08:38:16 PM »

I just installed 440 13 inch shocks on my SERK. i can't find time to get to Atlanta for the traction front end. Has anyone install Progressive springs on the front and are they worth it . How much do they  improve the ride . i would like to add the inch back to balance the bike. I couldn't even tell the difference in the bike height with the new shocks. Thanks for all the help Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
Re: Progressive front shocks
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 09:18:08 PM »

I just installed 440 13 inch shocks on my SERK. i can't find time to get to Atlanta for the traction front end. Has anyone install Progressive springs on the front and are they worth it . How much do they  improve the ride . i would like to add the inch back to balance the bike. I couldn't even tell the difference in the bike height with the new shocks. Thanks for all the help Billy

Billy, changing only the springs won't make that much of a difference in the ride. The progressives will change it a bit, but the cheapest way to stiffen up the front end, is to go to a heavier fork oil. The only way to really improve the front end is with a change to the damping circuit. This  means either going with something like the Race Tech Emulators, or going all the way with the Traxxion upgrade.

The emulators will get you about half way to what the Traxxoin units will get you. I have used them myself and they are worth it. If you want the best, go for the Traxion units.

Good luck.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 09:30:33 PM »

Billy put 1" taller shocks on and wants to raise the front to match. You can do that with the progressive springs and the PVC spacers they come with. You cut the spacers for the height you want. But you have to dismantle the forks to do this. At that point you'd be better off sending them to Traxxion and have them rebuild forks with their cartridges, like I'm doing on Tuesday. Their making them 1" taller for me to match the 13" shocks I plan on getting. Those are your 2 good choices. Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 09:36:21 PM »

I just did the front springs in my bike Monday and there is a noticeable difference in my bike (01 with air). I used the Progressive lowering kit and 15 weight oil. I spent a fair amount of time on the phone with the tech learning how to set the front end up. Very informative. I set my pre-load as per the instructions and it was to soft. After my phone call I set it up according to the tech. Spot on. I tried two different oil levels as this affects dampening. I like the 6" level best (6" down from the top of the tube) I tried 5.5" and that was to stiff, not enough rebound. This stuff isn't hard if you can comprehend what you are doing and why. I didn't at first so it took me a few shots to nail it.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 09:38:37 PM »

Billy put 1" taller shocks on and wants to raise the front to match. You can do that with the progressive springs and the PVC spacers they come with. You cut the spacers for the height you want. But you have to dismantle the forks to do this. At that point you'd be better off sending them to Traxxion and have them rebuild forks with their cartridges, like I'm doing on Tuesday. Their making them 1" taller for me to match the 13" shocks I plan on getting. Those are your 2 good choices. Hoist! 8)

Right you are, but if he just wants the extra inch, who doesn't, he can put in 1" of PVC on top of the OEM springs and get there for free. An extra inch for free. Hmmm  sounds like a good deal.

Disclaimer: The bike won't ride any better, but will just be at standard RK height. Improvements in ride will require cash or charge.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 09:40:21 PM »

I just did the front springs in my bike Monday and there is a noticeable difference in my bike (01 with air). I used the Progressive lowering kit and 15 weight oil. I spent a fair amount of time on the phone with the tech learning how to set the front end up. Very informative. I set my pre-load as per the instructions and it was to soft. After my phone call I set it up according to the tech. Spot on. I tried two different oil levels as this affects dampening. I like the 6" level best (6" down from the top of the tube) I tried 5.5" and that was to stiff, not enough rebound. This stuff isn't hard if you can comprehend what you are doing and why. I didn't at first so it took me a few shots to nail it.
That pic Looks like some strange beast.

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 10:12:21 PM »

The actual lowering spring is a small 1 1/2" tall spring that goes on the damper tube. My bike had one already and I added a second to achieve my 1" of lowering. To raise the bike you would remove the existing spring. The PVC spacer is what sets preload and takes up the difference in the spring heights.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 11:53:49 AM »

Hoist. How long does it take to get the front end back. I may wait till next winter. The ride is so much better with the 440's already. I was concerned about the fact that the Traxxion needs to be rebuilt every 10,000 miles. That would mean I would need to rebuild every year  if not more  since I ride 15,000 per year. Tha ks Hoist. The 13 inch isn't even noticable to me . The bike was sitting right next to anotherSEEK and you can't tell
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 11:32:30 AM »

Hoist. How long does it take to get the front end back. I may wait till next winter. The ride is so much better with the 440's already. I was concerned about the fact that the Traxxion needs to be rebuilt every 10,000 miles. That would mean I would need to rebuild every year  if not more  since I ride 15,000 per year. Tha ks Hoist. The 13 inch isn't even noticable to me . The bike was sitting right next to anotherSEEK and you can't tell

Billy...no, no, no...the Traxxion does not need to be rebuilt every 10K.  The bushings (stock HD parts that must be used) wear badly at 10K, so at most, 20K the seals and bushings should be replaced, and the fork oil could be done then.  Those bushings wear the same whether you keep the stock fork setup or change to the Traxxion.  Mine were worn at 10K, when I had the Traxxion installed, as they showed them to me.  Not worn OUT, but showing wear.  Please refer to this post:  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=12621.msg200864#msg200864

Max at Traxxion posted this in the Vendor Tech Support.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 11:52:09 AM »

It took roughly two weeks to ship and receive mine back from Traxx.

They sent them back ground, you could shorten the return time by paying for 2 day I imagine. 

The improvement is so dramatic I can not imagine doing anything else with a front end on any of my furture bikes and most likely would do it before I even picked it up new.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 12:00:56 PM »

It took roughly two weeks to ship and receive mine back from Traxx.

They sent them back ground, you could shorten the return time by paying for 2 day I imagine. 

The improvement is so dramatic I can not imagine doing anything else with a front end on any of my furture bikes and most likely would do it before I even picked it up new.

Rog...same here.  In fact, the Vrod sucks so bad in comparison, I'm going to do it too when I go over to get the Bitubo's put on.  It's really hard to describe what a vast difference it makes to the bike.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

TexasBowhunter

• Senior CVO Member
  • 09 Street Glide
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2007, 10:11:53 AM »

Right you are, but if he just wants the extra inch, who doesn't, he can put in 1" of PVC on top of the OEM springs and get there for free. An extra inch for free. Hmmm  sounds like a good deal.

Disclaimer: The bike won't ride any better, but will just be at standard RK height. Improvements in ride will require cash or charge.

You cant adjust the ride heigth with the stock screaming eagle forks and tubes without replacing the dampening rods...The 05 S/E tubes I have, the dampening rods are 1" shorter then the 06 stock I had in the stock forks...And there are only 2 holes in them for the fliud to be pumped into the upper tube for dampening action...The 06 has 4 holes for this...Also has the dampener valve with looks an awfull lot like the earlier version of the gold emulators that racetec has...
There wasn't an extra spring or shim located under the 1" spring which is already there under the dampener rod...
Typically...
To lower a stock standard height suspension you add an additional spring (2 total) under the existing spring that is already under the dampening rod, What this does is it reduces the OVAL length of the dampening rod which protrudes from the lower end of the tube for the lowers to attach to, which in turn will give you the 1" lower front end...

I just got finished installing a set of progressives and what a difference they made...
Now with this said I followed the manufactures guide lines on where to cut the shim, which in my case was 1/2" above the top of the tube with the tube fully extended...I way 250lbs and like to ride a bit aggressively at times but still desire a cadillac ride...
With just a 1/8" addjustment to the oval length of the tube you can change the preload and make it a bit firmer...
Since there was not any set in stone measurements and the 1/2" measurement was a mear guidline to start with I took it upon my self to design a system that would allow me to add up to an additional 1/2" of adjustment to the forks without taking them apart and adding or subtraction the OVAL of the PVC...
I've got this system in my ride and will be going to install it in 2 other members rides here locally and get there opinions on the system...R&D...By the way this system I'm going to hopefully market will work with the OEM, progressive, racetec, works springs and should work with anyones system out there...

Right now the proggressives are like night and day over what I previously had but I think I need alittle more preload over what proggressive has recommended and will be adding the additional preload soon...I still get allittle more diving in the front end when braking then I felt I should be getting...As far as on the highway they are really seem to shine...
I rode it about 30 minutes each way to dinner last night with my son on it and what a difference, there was no buzzing in the hands and arms what so ever...The rain groves that gave me fitts are almost none existant now and thats with the stock Dunlops... The front end has proggressed so much with the installation of the springs...
If the system works and is successfull I'll be marketing the system soon...Which theroretically there should be no reason why it shouldn't work and allow the owner to fine tune to his or hers own ridding likes and styles...
Ride safe

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 25 queries.