Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sound Loss on Zumo MP3 using external speakers  (Read 1248 times)

awalker14

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTUCSE Black/Crimson
    • CVO2: 19 BMW R1250 GSA
Sound Loss on Zumo MP3 using external speakers
« on: May 27, 2008, 04:23:06 PM »

Anybody experience a sound decrease using the Zumo MP3 player through Harley stock speakers?  I've checked the sound volume setting for music on the Zumo (100%) as well as the settings on Harley's HK system.  Thought it might be the cable but when compared to using a regular external MP3 player, I can't get the same volume from the Zumo.   Way less than the XM, AM or FM.  I can hear the others well at 70mph but can't hear the Zumo hardly at all at that speed.  Any suggestions? :nixweiss: 
06 Black/Candy Crimson FLHTCUSE; V&H TD's Ovals SE AC PCIII; SE Hyd Tens & Camplate Redshift 575's; Detach TP w/ Corbin Gunfighter; Zumo w/ 8gb SDHC (a lot of tunes)Clearview 8" Recurve; Minibeast II 128db Airhorn

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Sound Loss on Zumo MP3 using external speakers
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 12:08:13 PM »

What version software is your current HK radio? That was addressed in one of the software updates. Lastest Version is 8.19

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 02:37:23 PM »

Found this on the Zumo Forum courtesy of "Motorcycle Mama"....

If you heard the music but it was very low, you need to check two places on your Zumo to be sure the volume is turned up.

First from the Main Menu press Wrench then the Note icon and turn the MP3 volume up to at least 80%.

Then with the Zumo in either the motorcycle or car mount with external power applied, press the fourth hard button on the left side.  The yellow volume scale will appear on the screen.  Now press the top hard button on the left side (the + button) to raise the yellow bars.  I have found that I get distortion in the sound if it is all the way to the top so I keep it one bar down from the top.

You mentioned checking in one place for sound volume, but did you check both? It's a possibility you may have turned the second volume above down inadvertently. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

103_RK

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 06:13:15 AM »

If you are using an aux output,it may be the problem.  Everything I hook my MP3 player to with an aux port has reduced sound.
103 RK
2003 FLHRSEI2

awalker14

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTUCSE Black/Crimson
    • CVO2: 19 BMW R1250 GSA
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 08:45:52 PM »

Found this on the Zumo Forum courtesy of "Motorcycle Mama"....

If you heard the music but it was very low, you need to check two places on your Zumo to be sure the volume is turned up.

First from the Main Menu press Wrench then the Note icon and turn the MP3 volume up to at least 80%.

Then with the Zumo in either the motorcycle or car mount with external power applied, press the fourth hard button on the left side.  The yellow volume scale will appear on the screen.  Now press the top hard button on the left side (the + button) to raise the yellow bars.  I have found that I get distortion in the sound if it is all the way to the top so I keep it one bar down from the top.

You mentioned checking in one place for sound volume, but did you check both? It's a possibility you may have turned the second volume above down inadvertently. :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Thanks!  That was it.  I found the output setting at about 2/3 which I changed to full throttle using the external buttons and the sound is now back to where it should be. 
06 Black/Candy Crimson FLHTCUSE; V&H TD's Ovals SE AC PCIII; SE Hyd Tens & Camplate Redshift 575's; Detach TP w/ Corbin Gunfighter; Zumo w/ 8gb SDHC (a lot of tunes)Clearview 8" Recurve; Minibeast II 128db Airhorn

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 08:48:09 PM »

Good deal. :2vrolijk_21: After I read that post I remembered hitting the button for the second volume control MM mentioned and seeing that graph come up on the right side.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 25 queries.