Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Miles  (Read 997 times)

jimp

• Senior CVO Member
Miles
« on: September 23, 2005, 09:59:41 PM »

How many miles do you average per ride, normally when I leave the house at sun up which I always do its three to four hundred miles.
Also a question for the guys with built motors like Hubbard that runs 112 octane, how do you find gas on long rides, or do you use a octane booster?

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: Miles
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 10:14:42 PM »

We generally ride somewhere around 200-250 plus miles.   I use the 93 octane we find on the trip.   100 octane is as high as I can purchase (Sunoco) directly without going somewhere like a speedshop.   Sunoco though is still sold out since the hike from the Hurricane.

If anyone needed higher octane they can purchase it generally through a local (speedshop), but they arent legally supposed to dispense it directly to your tank you have to bring a 5 gallon jug that you fill then use the 5 gallon jugg to fill your bike.

Remember those that use the high octane stuff if you dont use it all and let the bike sit it will destory your top end as it will gum up the valves etc.   A very good friend of mine who I would have thought would have known this just had to have 2 valve guides redone due to letting the bike sit with i think it was 110 octane in the system/tank.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 10:24:12 PM »

wow!  Unbalanced, I did not know that.  How about if you've got it mixed (diluted) with 93 octane, will it still harm the valve guides sitting up?  and how long does it take to do that?   [smiley=nixweiss.gif]   spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

jimp

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 10:27:06 PM »

We generally ride somewhere around 200-250 plus miles.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 10:32:25 PM »

His sat for about 3 weeks and then wamo went to go to a test / tune at the local track before he was supposed to go to bristol and well they didnt go :)

Any time I have ever tried the high octane I have always used it all or had just enough in to make the runs I wanted/needed to then filled the remainder of the tank with 93 and have never had a problem, but I have never put more than a gallon in at a time.   Why run with the extra weight per gallon if you dont need to.

I cant tell you a time frame, I just know what not to do, but I bet if MackCR was around and sees this he could tell us.   He knows fuels well.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 25 queries.