Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Easy Mod for any Tour Pack equipped bike  (Read 3469 times)

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
Re: Easy Mod for any Tour Pack equipped bike
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2008, 10:57:22 AM »

Well, that gets me back to where I don't want to go out and put too much into a set when I have access to a good set closeby.  That was my understanding, that buying a cheap set could get me in more trouble.  If I do get a set, what should they be made of?  In looking around, I see that there are sets made of lots of different materials, much like drill bits.  What should I be aiming for in a quality set?  Luckily, I'm not in immediate need, so I can casually shop for a set.

Hey man, I love Harbor Freight. Wish they had this place when I first started buying tools as a Cat mechanic 33 years ago. Alot of their stuff is crap, but alot can be great buys and save money. I have all Snap On, Mac, and Matco tools until about 5 years ago I was turned on to Harbor Freight and Northern Tools. I found you just use common sense on most of these tools and you will be alright. A tap and die set from Harbor might be OK as long as you use it in areas that won't get you in trouble. EZ out's on the other hand, need to be good. You don't want one of them breaking on ya. Fortunately for me I get mine at work. Cat tools are good. Their hand tools are made by Snap On. I have two sets of Snap On EZ out sets and 2 die sets (Metric and Standard). My taps I got individually over the years, from starter to bottoming, standard to metric taps. All are Cat or Snap On.                     

gkbain

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2009, 06:34:00 AM »

Well, that gets me back to where I don't want to go out and put too much into a set when I have access to a good set closeby.  That was my understanding, that buying a cheap set could get me in more trouble.  If I do get a set, what should they be made of?  In looking around, I see that there are sets made of lots of different materials, much like drill bits.  What should I be aiming for in a quality set?  Luckily, I'm not in immediate need, so I can casually shop for a set.

gkbain

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2009, 06:40:37 AM »

A Die is used same as a Tap to clean, restore, or cut threads. Only a Die is used on bolts or studs. It would be the female version of the Tap. :huepfenlol2: "Where to get without excessive cost?" I would watch out. This is one of those tools you don't want cheap! Break a tap or EZ out in a hard to get at hole and you'll wish you wouldn't have gotten a cheap set. When needed, which is not very often, they are worth the money. A good set is very exspensive. I would buy individually. In a set you won't use half of what you get unless you work on other stuff. This is just my opinion and I know what they say about opinions! :o

:bananarock:

I taught high school and post high school machine shop for over 30 years.  You would NOT BELIEVE some of the things I have seen a tap and die set used for!  Also there is nothing easy about an EZ out!
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 25 queries.