Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Have you ever been to Mooney Falls?  (Read 762 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Have you ever been to Mooney Falls?
« on: April 05, 2009, 05:51:14 AM »

I remember as a kid in high school (one of the two days that I went) seeing an article in National Geographic about Mooney Falls.  I remember it well, because that's my last name and those pictures were incredable.

I thought to my self...........I'm going to go there some day.  I recently did a google search and lerned that there's a hike in to the falls of several miles (that must be why they've stayed so pristine over the years).  Just wondering if any of you were/are hikers and have ever gone in to Mooney Falls or the other falls on the Colorado River (near the Grand Canyon)?  Was it worth it?  In real life, do they look like they do in all the photos (a garden of eden)?

Click on these photos to enlarge them.........    http://www.waterfallswest.com/waterfall.php?id=26
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 05:53:21 AM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

sgchick

• Sweeper
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Have you ever been to Mooney Falls?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 08:21:41 AM »

Wow! Beautiful pics JC!....Never heard of Mooney Falls......maybe a trip one of these days???? We would love to go back to that area :2vrolijk_21:

BANDANAGIRL

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • LIVE LAUGH RIDE

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG Cherry Sold
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG Orange Sold, 2005 SEEG Teal Sold, 2005 SEEG Banana Sold
    • CVO3: 2013 SERG Custom Atomic Orange/ Galaxy Gray
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 12:42:06 PM »

That place looks gorgeous..

2006 Cripplecreek, Co.
                     2008 Sedona, Az.
                     2009 HoodRiver, Or.
                     2010   Pala, Ca.
                     2010 New River , Wv.
                     2011 Lake Tahoe, NV.
                     2012 Spokane, Wa.
                     2013 Santa Fe, NM.                      2014 Carmel & M.V.

Mrs Rooster

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rooster May Crow But The Hen Delivers The Goods!!
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 01:04:11 PM »

Location: Supai, Havasupai Reservation, Grand Canyon National Park, Coconino County
Height: ~200 ft.
Access:         
Distance: 11 miles (1 way)
Elevation: 5200 ft (-2200 ft)
Season: Mar-Oct
Difficulty: strenuous
Lat/Long:36.26320, -112.70750
Directions:From I-40 at Seligman, take exit 123 and drive 33 miles west on Hwy #66 to Indian Road 18. Turn right and drive 60 miles to parking lot at Hualapai Hilltop (at end of the road). Indian Road 18 can also be accessed from Kingman, by driving ~50 miles east on Hwy #66 (~6 miles past Peach Springs). There are no services after Seligman (or Kingman

Beautiful

This was a cut and paste from one of the pictures. 11 mile hike one way, choose your season carefully before hiking that far in the Grand Canyon. You also might want to check to make the sure the road is paved. There are a lot that are not. 
We are never lost sometimes it just takes longer to get there.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 02:28:41 PM »

That would have to be a car trip for me (or truck).  I'm not leaving my bike parked some place in the desert and hiking 11 miles.  The directions I saw also said that the trail goes through a tunnel in the rock that's so tight you have to carry your back pack and when it comes out on the side of the canyon wall it's then a very narrow path to the bottom, hanging off the side of the cliff, but that there are foot and hand holds that camera men and gear were able to make it......camping gear and all.  I think it's probably a little challenging but I also think they write to add the sound of adventure.....to entice.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 11:52:58 AM »

Who would have thought that something so beautifull would have your name? :) :huepfenjump3:

copper

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 07:26:56 AM »

I used to work in the area and worked with the tribe down there--some specifics --the water is that color because of the limestone.  It is remote like a 3rd world country.  Be sure to take essentials as the store closes at 4 or 5 and the store doesn't have much any way....

Do not drink the water....many times when the rains come the sewage goes into the stream....don't play in it either...it is hot there and you just can't wait to get in and cool off....Most of the time your o.k. but not always sure....there are no controls on what they do there since it is remote....

It is a easy walk after the first 1000 ft drop....but it is very hard coming out...and be sure you watch for the pack horses coming out of there as they turn them loose to run up to the top and you are in the way...

It is beautiful and a wonderful experience.  just be ready for a huge temp change from top to bottom and premitive life style...

I prefer the horses my self.....If you get injured there is a helocopter that can get you out on some days....

O-if it rains hard above you miles away know that your the end of the flood waters.  Most of those falls have been washed out or re defined several times....

Good luck

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 26 queries.