Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do I need to retune?  (Read 2051 times)

deaf1

• Senior CVO Member
Do I need to retune?
« on: September 07, 2009, 11:27:35 AM »

Morning!

08 SERK w/ Bub 7's... Bike was tuned before I bought it and runs great.... I want to add the Roland Sands http://www.dragspecialties.com/fatbook/10/6/7716939 air filter kit... Do I need to dyno and retune??  $350 for the filter and another $300 to dyno may make my decision right there..

Thx!

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Do I need to retune?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 03:10:06 PM »

What do you have on the bike now for an air cleaner?  The stock air cleaner & filter or something like the HD Stage 1 or the Ness Big Sucker?  If you have the HD Stage 1 or the Ness BS I wouldn't think you need to do anything.  The Ness has bascially the same K&N high flow filter that the Roland Sands does.   But if you are replacing the stock air cleaner you may have to re-tune due to the increased air flow.

deaf1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 02:48:27 PM »

Right now it is the stock setup that came with the SERK

I really didnt want to ahve to return it...  I wasnt really looking for the performance,  just the look..

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 02:52:41 PM »

Since it is a stock restrictive filter, you should re-tune since more air may create a lean condition which is something you don't want.

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 02:55:51 PM »

If you take off the stock air cleaner and replace it with the Roland Sands you should definately have the bike retuned.  Otherwise the it will probably be running very lean.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 03:41:11 PM »

The stock filter on a SERK4 is a SE A/F. It's already an open filter assembly, so changing filters shouldn't cause issues. I don't think that RSD A/C will flow drastically different than your SE A/C. I'm a believer of tuning to your EXACT setup, but I doubt you'll really notice much, if anything, unless your tuner is SO good that he can tweak any lil change to your setup. Most won't spend that kinda time tuning. ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 03:42:57 PM by Hoist! »
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 05:37:22 PM »

The stock filter on a SERK4 is a SE A/F. It's already an open filter assembly, so changing filters shouldn't cause issues. I don't think that RSD A/C will flow drastically different than your SE A/C. I'm a believer of tuning to your EXACT setup, but I doubt you'll really notice much, if anything, unless your tuner is SO good that he can tweak any lil change to your setup. Most won't spend that kinda time tuning. ;)

Wrong O buckaroo... The '07 SERK's came with the SE A/C but the '08s SERK's dropped and went back to the plastic casing just like the stock touring models.  I bought a SE A/C for my '08 and it is NOT THE SAME...  Just like the '07s came with flush mounted gas gauge and flush gas cap, the '08s did not.

Sorry to disappoint you Hoist.

:(  :(  :(
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 06:34:05 PM »

Wrong O buckaroo... The '07 SERK's came with the SE A/C but the '08s SERK's dropped and went back to the plastic casing just like the stock touring models.  I bought a SE A/C for my '08 and it is NOT THE SAME...  Just like the '07s came with flush mounted gas gauge and flush gas cap, the '08s did not.

Sorry to disappoint you Hoist.

:(  :(  :(

You gotta be kidding?!!! They didn't provide the SEAC with the '08's like the '07's? Cheap bastids! Thanks for the correction Dan! ;)

"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 10:29:55 AM »

You gotta be kidding?!!! They didn't provide the SEAC with the '08's like the '07's? Cheap bastids! Thanks for the correction Dan! ;)

Cheap is not the word I would have used, but it works.

Yes, when I bought the new bike I had read about all you guys getting the SE/AC with the bikes.  $149.95 later I had one too.  I've gotten rid of the bike now and I still have the SE/AC.  I guess I should get with it and put all my "left over" stuff up for sale.

;D  ;D  ;D
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Page created in 0.291 seconds with 25 queries.