Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Those of you that have suffered failed lifters... WHat oil were you running?  (Read 10211 times)

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)

I'll say that I change oil religiously, and I have been using Amsoil all the way. If there was debris, it was in the engine when it was assembled. I am extremely anal about maintenance as the bike is my daily transportation.

If you search the forum (and other forums as well) it appears the current lifter has a number of failures and moreso after 2007 year vehicles.

My 03 FLSTFI (built 9/2002) had no issues at 55K, when we did the 95" build, including new cams. The lifters were in good shape so they went back in... that motor has close to 70K now with no issues.

Same oil, same loose nut behind the handlebars, same anal maintenance.

I'm inclined to believe there is an issue with lifters/oil supply to them after 2007 as I see less of this on earlier (TC88/95) motors (though cam bearings are still a sore spot for these) than the TC96/103/110

Currently at the dealership for noises (and all sound to be lifter/valvetrain related) are 4 bikes, all 2007 and newer. 2 are apart, mine and another customer, same problem with both. 2 different loose nuts, 2 different riding styles, 2 different oils but the same problem. The others arent apart yet... but my money is on lifters.

Maybe we need to stop using coconut oil in the motors here?. :huepfenlol2:

My thoughts on the lifters: DElphi unit, designed for more oil flow than the HD motor provides. Less lubrication for the needles, etc,. thus leading to premature failure. IF this is a lifter issue, then GM would have had similar issues with engines that used the same lifters.

SBC logic: you cant have enough oil for lubrication... my gen I SBC in my MCSS has 75PSI cold (relief open) has a high volume, HP pump, clearances set on the big side. Lotta oil up top, but a large capacity pan, along with the oiling system and the external cooler keep everything in check.

Harley logic: Minimal OP, less parasitc drag for an emissions laden motor that in stock form doesnt make enough power to get out of its own way. The delicate balance is more like food rationing to the ethiopians. You give them just enough to survive, but not enough to grow.

I know, one is air cooled, one is water cooled. Thats not saying a larger capacity oil system wont work (baker has proven it does) and a good external oil cooler will help as well.

I'm apprehensive to try the schubecks because of the price, and as you said, they are basically untried in the real world daily rigors. IF you follow the logic that schubeck has applied to the lifter, it makes sense. take out the failing link, then it minimizes other failures.

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: '96 Heritage Softail Classic
    • CVO3: '14 Indian Chief Vintage

All I can see, seeing I change oil/filter at least on 4K mile intervals, having to replace lifters after 40K miles just aint right.  One has to wonder about these excessively hot air-cooled motor parts coupled with design issues (too high localized pressure breaking down oil film thickness).
I run another bike with a 125", water-cooled motor on dino oil and change on 3K mile intervals - has 54K miles and no issues.

But I do love the HD machine; best touring bike I've ever owned.  A little less oomph than the 125, even after Stage I, SERT, pipes and dyno.  But just a little.
T
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 25 queries.