Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: K&N HD bought Air Filter Cover breaks off  (Read 2679 times)

212hjet

• Junior CVO Member
K&N HD bought Air Filter Cover breaks off
« on: March 14, 2011, 05:51:55 PM »

Well, just back from a bike trip to AZ and NV...great weather and time but my new K&N air filter bolt broke off and let the cover hit my leg.  Miraculously, I felt it move and squeezed my leg against it til I could get off the freeway at 80!  Put my leg down and it fell off.  When I bought it, I went to parts and told the parts guy that I wasn't sure they made one for my 2009 SEUC 4, but he insisted they made two.  
Anyway, the HD part # was 1011-1410.  The K&N # on the rubber part is A055J4 which I can't find.  Does anyone have any info on this or personal experience?  It lasted about 350 miles.  It broke out a round area about the size of a half dollar (shows our age) where the stud was.  Taped it up and rode the other 1200 miles like a champ.  Back home in Boise now and need to go see if I can't get them to take care of it.
If anyone has switched could you send me a note and let me know what part # and if you've had any trouble.
When it came in I had the parts guy go out and put it on because of what I'd (thought) learned on here.  He cam back and said it was the correct one and fit well???
Thanks for the info.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 05:53:43 PM by 212hjet »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: K&N HD bought Air Filter Cover breaks off
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 08:03:04 PM »

Well, just back from a bike trip to AZ and NV...great weather and time but my new K&N air filter bolt broke off and let the cover hit my leg.  Miraculously, I felt it move and squeezed my leg against it til I could get off the freeway at 80!  Put my leg down and it fell off.  When I bought it, I went to parts and told the parts guy that I wasn't sure they made one for my 2009 SEUC 4, but he insisted they made two.  
Anyway, the HD part # was 1011-1410.  The K&N # on the rubber part is A055J4 which I can't find.  Does anyone have any info on this or personal experience?  It lasted about 350 miles.  It broke out a round area about the size of a half dollar (shows our age) where the stud was.  Taped it up and rode the other 1200 miles like a champ.  Back home in Boise now and need to go see if I can't get them to take care of it.
If anyone has switched could you send me a note and let me know what part # and if you've had any trouble.
When it came in I had the parts guy go out and put it on because of what I'd (thought) learned on here.  He cam back and said it was the correct one and fit well???
Thanks for the info.

The 1011-1410 number isn't a Harley number, it's a Drag Specialties part number.  Not sure what the cross reference is to a real K&N number, but I'd guess it would be HD-0818 which is the K&N replacement for the round element that comes with the Screamin' Eagle replacement air cleaner.  I'm going to guess, without seeing it, that what you have is the SE backplate replacing the stock black plastic airbox, and you used the stock CVO air cleaner cover.  If that is the case, then the problem is caused by the fit of the CVO cover to the end of the filter.  There are several threads on the site concerning this, and the problem basically comes down to the difference between the regular FLHT covers and the CVO versions where they attach to the filter.  The CVO cover doesn't make full contact around the end of the filter, and all the weight is hanging just from that one bolt.  The vibration eventually causes the metal around the nut in the filter to fatigue and break out.  The Harley catalog specifically states that the SE air cleaner won't work with the CVO cover, and recommends replacing it with one of the standard model covers.  Of course, if you really want to keep the CVO cover you can modify it to add support.  There are some posts in another thread that might help you, I'll try to find them and post a link.

Jerry

Here's a link to one thread, I think the same subject has come up in a lot of other threads as well since 2006 when the new style CVO covers with the rectangular center section were introduced.
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=51271.0
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 08:12:27 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

212hjet

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 12:30:35 AM »

Thank you Jerry.  Really appreciate the help.  I knew I had read about it a year ago, but couldn't find it with my searching.  Will see what tomorrow brings.  Right now I think I will see if they will replace it and I will try the gasket fix, as I'd like to keep the original cover (as heavy as it is...amazing).
Boise, Idaho

Jerry/MD

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 09:01:08 PM »

212hjet,
Below is a link to a thread I started on this very subject. The pictures show the mods I made to support the stock air cleaner cover. I have over 6,000 miles with this 'fix'. So far so good.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=51552.msg754108#msg754108
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 09:02:53 PM by Jerry/MD »

CircleRacer

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 08:26:08 PM »

212hjet
I made the part you need out of rubberized epoxy. The part fits between the air cleaner element and the CVO outer cover. I made the mold when I was reading posts that people were breaking their air filters and the CVO covers were falling off. Before I installed my open back air cleaner I made this spacer I have over 18,500 miles on it with no problems. I would like to give you one to try,but I do not know how to get one to you and my computer skills are nonexistant. I am leaving for Harley Officer Training in am wont be home until Sunday night. If you would like to try a spacer just tell me how to get it to you.
CircleRacer

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 01:04:52 AM »

212Hjet, I had the exact same thing happen on my 09SEUC. I have made two posts about how I fixed it. One was on Sept 8 2010, and July 8, 2010. My parts guy gave me a new air filter, and I used Hd part no. 29591-99 which is called a Air filter service gasket. It is a thick round piece of rubber that has adhesive on one side to stick to the outside edge of your air filter. It takes up the slack between air filter and airfilter cover. I also beefed mine up with a metal plate to distribute the load on the front of the air filter. It was just a flat piece of metal with 4 holes in it to line up with the 3 small screws and the one large center screw. My first fix was to use the stock air filter cover mounting bracket, but that made the air filter stick out about 3/4 of an inch farther it was very sturdy, but I could feel it on my leg. So I went with the flat stock and drilled the holes.  So far no more issues, and my air filter does not wiggle like it used to. CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 25 queries.