Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SORRY, ANOTHER LOWER FAIRING QUESTION...  (Read 4495 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
SORRY, ANOTHER LOWER FAIRING QUESTION...
« on: May 15, 2011, 11:15:08 AM »

Without going back through many pages of threads, I just have one quick question.

For those here that have added the lowers to your SERG's, have they cut down on the wind buffetting that comes from down below and up and around the tank area?

I've added the two deflectors to the inner fairing in front of the tank and they seem to have helped some.

I'm looking at adding lowers and just want to know if it's going to help me out much wind wise.  I ride a lot in the very hot summer here in St. Louis area and not so much when it's colder, so having the lowers to help with wind may also make my riding too hot to be pleasureable.

Thanks!
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: SORRY, ANOTHER LOWER FAIRING QUESTION...
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 11:18:31 AM »

Without going back through many pages of threads, I just have one quick question.

For those here that have added the lowers to your SERG's, have they cut down on the wind buffetting that comes from down below and up and around the tank area?

I've added the two deflectors to the inner fairing in front of the tank and they seem to have helped some.

I'm looking at adding lowers and just want to know if it's going to help me out much wind wise.  I ride a lot in the very hot summer here in St. Louis area and not so much when it's colder, so having the lowers to help with wind may also make my riding too hot to be pleasureable.

Thanks!

Dan,
I like the look of the bike better with the lowers on.  Just seems more "complete."  While they are great for cooler weather or rain it's too hot behind them when it warms up.  I take mine off from June to October.  Carry soft-lowers in the bottom of a saddle bag during warm months to put off in case of rain.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 01:17:08 PM »

Dan,
I like the look of the bike better with the lowers on.  Just seems more "complete."  While they are great for cooler weather or rain it's too hot behind them when it warms up.  I take mine off from June to October.  Carry soft-lowers in the bottom of a saddle bag during warm months to put off in case of rain.

Don, thanks for the first hand info.

What I didn't say was that I just saw the new J&M lower fairing speaker kit and was thinking of killing two birds with one stone, so to speak.

I too think the SERG looks better with them on, but the heat is going to be an issue.  What you probably don't know is how good the '10 and new vented lowers actually cool the rider, if at all.

Maybe someone with the '10 style/newer vented work for the hot weather.

Thanks for the comments.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 02:25:02 PM »

That's true Dan. Last year Lou had the stones to cut his original lowers and add vents to his 2000.  He reported being able to keep the lowers on after adding the vents. 

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 04:18:00 PM »

That's true Dan. Last year Lou had the stones to cut his original lowers and add vents to his 2000.  He reported being able to keep the lowers on after adding the vents.  

Don, the '10 and later have a very large vent designed in. To do the later lowers on my SERG I will have to do the lower engine guard to fairing mounts as well as the main front inner fairing mounting bracket. But from what I've read the later model lower is designed a bit better. As well as accepting the '11 SESG type speaker pods.

I'm not sure this summer will allow that much money to be spent. I want to do the forks at the same time so I don't waste double labor pulling it down twice.

So lowers, speaker pods and monotubes will set me back quite a bit, I'll just tide this summer.

I just bought Rob's 30T and belt so I WILL do that as soon as the arrive.

That will keep me happy for a while.

Thanks again for the input on the lowers. Maybe one of the guys with the later lowers will post later tonight.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 04:22:05 PM by Dan_Lockwood »
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

NVWLDTHG

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 CVO™ Road Glide® - FLTRSE3
    • CVO2: 2004 R1200CL (Chromehead)
    • CVO3: 1979 R100RT (Airhead)
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 06:29:07 PM »

With regard to the wind buffetting, there is no question for me.  The '09 lowers were a life changer.  My feet were always dancing on the floorboards from the wind. 

Never have installed any vents.  Once I changed out the header to the 49-96 and got rid of that heatalator air cleaner with the heavy breather, heat has never been an issue for me.

And, they do make a nice mount for speakers.

Good luck.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 09:02:48 PM »

I changed the brackets on my 09 and used the newer vented style lowers. We ride year-round and they work well in the winter but from April - Novembler they are in the garage. I don't notice the heat so much myself but wife complains constantly about her feet being hot when they are on in the warmer months. They do help stabilze your feet on the boards at speed, but unlike twolane I think they look awful on any dresser so I am always glad when it comes time to remove them. I also used the HD thumbscrew kit so removal is a little easier than using a screwdriver.

rascal1007

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2018 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 12:55:32 PM »

I'm looking at adding lowers and just want to know if it's going to help me out much wind wise.  I ride a lot in the very hot summer here in St. Louis area and not so much when it's colder, so having the lowers to help with wind may also make my riding too hot to be pleasureable.

Thanks!

I recently installed lowers on mine and I was amazed at the difference.
There is still some updraft beside the tank, but it's only about 20% of what I had without the lowers.
Mine will NOT be coming off anytime soon!

Russell

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 01:34:29 AM »

My lowers ( old style but with vents ) stay on the bike the whole year .
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

n7543g

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 10:11:24 PM »

I put 09 roadglide lowers on my bike this last winter (hd painted) and haven't taken them off. In northern Iowa we don't have many hot days, but we have had this year! No problems, love them. No bugs on my pants and I have some extra storage. I went non vented, but the vented would have been great. :huepfenjump3:

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 11:36:23 PM »

N7453g,  Your lowers look great.  Best color bike too though I might be biased.    :huepfenjump3:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 02:49:35 AM »

Yellow is the best by far... :orange: :mango: :huepfenjump3: :apple: :carrot: :jalapeno: :cucumber: :cherry: :pineapple: :pepper: :2vrolijk_21:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 08:45:20 AM »

My lowers ( old style but with vents ) stay on the bike the whole year .
x2   lowers reduce updraft by 80 percent IMHO no heat problems.

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 05:04:47 PM »

And the look is complete
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 01:56:10 PM »

I often ride my buddy's '00 SERG and love the lowers.. and he indicates its not that bad, even with the humidity here.... its far better for rain protection than anything else.. and IMHO will hide the aftermarket oil cooler with fan I am also about to install on mine.

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 25 queries.