Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: HELP - Installed Heavy Breather and now it smokes like a dog  (Read 3797 times)

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
FIXED -- Installed Heavy Breather and now it smokes like a dog
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2011, 01:57:29 PM »

Isn't the "V-tune" something the end user does? Not to say that it will make a difference but if all it requires is the rider putting his laptop in the TP/Saddlebag and taking a ride then why not? :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

Yep, I may run one just out of curiousity. The laptop dies in my saddlebag, but works ok to Vtune if I put it in my detachable tourpak. Right now I just want to enjoy riding some while it's still mid-80s and sunny in the Black Hills.... jimbob

Off topic, but here is my comments posted on another board about my Alaska trip this past Spring and why I switched to the Heavy breather;

We had heated jacket liners and gloves so temps were comfortable. My SG had the fairing adjustable side wings, the scoop between the forks, a 9 inch windshield, and at points I put the canvas covers on the roll bars as well.  The only issue I had was that I can't stand a full face helmet and my knee hitting the Air cleaner cover left a nice gap by the tank where wind pushed the rain up the inside of my face shield on the 3/4 helmet. Not a real big issue, but got old over a month of riding. Thus the change to Heavy breather so I could hug the tank with both legs.

Canada is really beautiful and we really enjoyed the whole country we passed thru (Alberta, British Columbia, Yukon). Alaska was beautiful as well, especially the glaciers. We spent a few days camping in the park and playing keep away from a mama moose and her two little 7 day old younguns. They were waist high even at the early age. At a campsite, I was dinking around with a broken latch on my Bustec trailer and I noticed RVs and cars had stooped by my campsite and were staring and pointing at me. My first thought was; "I know, I know, Yes I did ride a Harley to Alaska from SD." Then I turned around to face mama moose's chest, then looked up into her face as she was standing right next to me, checking me out. She gave me an approving look to signify that I was harmless and then wandered on off with her babies in close pursuit. I was told they invade the campsite to get their young in a place less likely visited by Bears. A bear did come into the site on the last night there, but campground workers ran him off pretty quickly.

We saw a lot of wildlife on the trip. We probably saw 25-30 bears. The most fun was coming over the peak of a steep hill to find two buffalo standing in the middle of the higway about 75 feet ahead. I could not stop so I just weaved between them and hoped for the best. They acted like I wasn't even there. On the Cassier HWY we encountered a very large bear in the middle of the road. He was sitting, but got up and started up the centerline towards us to see what we were about. A guy in a large pickup pulled up next to me in the wrong lane and asked if I was trying to get a picture (he was volenteering to wait for us). My response was; "NO, we are trying to not get eaten."

He said; "Follow me." Then he proceeded to pull in front of us hauling a large 5th wheel trailer. The bear kept coming and he just sat on his horn until they were feet apart. Then the big bear went over on the ditch side. He stopped and was blocking for us as we passed him.

We stayed in Wasilla a few days waiting on a replacement latch for the trailer (which also broke on the trip home.) I couldn't see Russia from there.

My compensator was trash by the time we reached the states, but I still ran down thru Wyoming, Utah, Nevada to southern California. Then I came back across Arizona, New mexico, Colorado, etc, ... My bike went into the shop when I  got home to the Black Hills. It needed a compensator and a transmission overhaul. Glad I bought that extended warrenty. Cost me $25.

Trip was 5 weeks and 11,000 miles all total. Good way to start a riding season. Although I would be tempted to buy a used BMW if I ever made that trip again. The Alaska Highway was by far the worst road I have ever ridden. Even the cow trail roads in the backwoods of Costa Rica were "great" compared to the AH. Many of the riders we met along the way said; "You rode that Harley all the way from SD?" The majority of visiting bikes up there were mostly BMWs except for the local folks who rode Harleys.

I'm 63 years old and both physically and mentally disabled resulting from a lifetime of pushing the limits in everything I did. This was a trip on my bucket list which I had to do this year since I am going dowhill faster than I expected. I had to do it while I still could. My bucket list is prioritized by degree of difficulty. Next year I may try the 10 day raft trip thru the Grand canyon, we will see. I'm right on the edge of needing open heart surgury, so I figure I will be useless after that. Pushing thru to get that bucket list counted off, LOL... Life is good!  Everyone I know says I should write a book about my life. I kinda want to, but just don't have the time with so much left to do....

jimbob
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 25 queries.