Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Chrome peeling ?  (Read 6943 times)

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
Re: Chrome peeling ?
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2011, 10:58:11 AM »

what a joke!! Well, I had my front wheel on my bike peel on the inside. Came out one morning to find a front flat tire. Long story short, the chrome had all peeled off on the inside of the tire, worked it's way up into the bead and started leaking. When the tech broke down the wheel, he came out with a handfull of chrome shavings.

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2011, 12:44:22 PM »

Unless these are isolated incidents, its a darn shame as these are relatively new top dollar bikes.  Was really thinking about upgrading my 08 to a newer model but I think I may just keep it.  I really don't have the money or desire to rebuild another bike.  I hate to say it but my next bike is new it won't be a HD.  Hope things work out for you guys.  

hogasm

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2011, 07:21:54 PM »

Rear wheel on my 08 SERK. Will a extended service plan cover this?

:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

not laughing at your issue

laughing at the probability that the MOCO will cover it

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2011, 08:46:23 PM »

Rear wheel on my 08 SERK. Will a extended service plan cover this?

Not unless the peeling chrome is causing an air leak.  The ESP doesn't cover cosmetic problems.  Same goes for the wheel and tire optional road hazard coverage.  Of course, you could hit a really nasty pothole at speed and hope to bend the rim enough to get it covered on the road hazard if you have that coverage, but I don't think I'd take the chance of killing myself over a wheel.

If it were me, I'd contact the dealer and the MoCo to see if they would cover at least part of the cost of a replacement with their goodwill adjustment money.  They don't publicize it, but the MoCo makes out-of-warranty goodwill adjustments just like many/most other vehicle manufacturer's.  If they don't want to play nice, find a good plating company and see what it would take to get yours replated.  A good replating job will probably hold up better and be much cheaper than buying another of Harley's overpriced low quality wheels with a whopping 90 day service parts guarantee.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2011, 06:20:28 AM »

That's what I did with my original front wheel.   My 2nd wheel is on there and rusting away.  I'll use my nice pretty rechromed wheel when I replace the tire next go around.   It looks really nice.   :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 04:48:05 PM by cvostu »

Proshopb

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2011, 10:46:42 PM »

40 grand for a CVO Ultra and my chrome is PEELING OFF.
Deeley Harley Davidson, who distributes HD to all of Canada, wants 150 bucks for 1 tank emblem. This is after they already refused to replace a cracked rear crash bar that BROKE in 2 at the weep hole at the bottom of the bend. A structural engineer looked at the part and claims the metal was weakened during the bending process and the weep hole started the crack/break. Harley did NOTHING to make it right.
MY EMBLEMS ARE COMING OFF ASAP AND MY LIFETIME LOVE AFFAIR OF HARLEYS IS OVER. (although leaving the peeling chrome emblem would demonstrate HDs POOR quality.    MY 49 PAN WAS LESS TROUBLE AND BUILT TO LAST. My AMF HD was fun but had its problems. My CVO Ultra has been a huge disappointment and Harley doesn't give a chit . . . therefore . . . . next bike . . . .sadly will be an import, but a lot a HD crap is from China anyway. Its been quite a ride, but its nearing a parting of ways.
Good luck to the rest of you in your dealings with a failing company. Its not going to be the first time for them in trouble. :soapbox:
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the weaponry to make the difference.

Proshopb

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2011, 10:50:55 PM »

40 grand for a CVO Ultra and my chrome is PEELING OFF.
Deeley Harley Davidson, who distributes HD to all of Canada, wants 150 bucks for 1 tank emblem. This is after they already refused to replace a cracked rear crash bar that BROKE in 2 at the weep hole at the bottom of the bend. A structural engineer looked at the part and claims the metal was weakened during the bending process and the weep hole started the crack/break. Harley did NOTHING to make it right.
MY EMBLEMS ARE COMING OFF ASAP AND MY LIFETIME LOVE AFFAIR OF HARLEYS IS OVER. (although leaving the peeling chrome emblem would demonstrate HDs POOR quality.    MY 49 PAN WAS LESS TROUBLE AND BUILT TO LAST. My AMF HD was fun but had its problems. My CVO Ultra has been a huge disappointment and Harley doesn't give a chit . . . therefore . . . . next bike . . . .sadly will be an import, but a lot a HD crap is from China anyway. Its been quite a ride, but its nearing a parting of ways.
Good luck to the rest of you in your dealings with a failing company. Its not going to be the first time for them in troub
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the weaponry to make the difference.

Vincent

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2011, 03:03:03 PM »

I had a 2008 CVO Ultra In the anniversary copper colour.
Within a year the chrome had peeled off my brake lever and gear shift, 18 months the highway pegs peeled and the primary cover. My rear wheel was replaced twice.
The first time there was a flake as big as your thumb nail coming off so they replaced it and the replacement had a blister under the chrome from day one.

12 weeks ago I had a collision and the bike was written off as was the car that pulled out in front of me.
One minute I was riding along on a clear sunny day the next I was waking up in hospital.
I have no recollection of the accident whatsoever and luckily was able to ride again within six weeks.
My insurers have just paid me and I was hoping to get a new CVO Street Glide.
I like the hot citrus/copper colour but I do wish it didn't have the flames. Sorry but I don't do flames or skulls.
I've been offered a 2010 CVO SG which my nearest dealer says they are willing to paint to my spec.
Mmmm decisions decisions...

Just heard today from a friend whose got a heritage that's less than a year old whose front wheel has the chrome peeling off on the hub.
He tells me our nearest dealer say H-D are no longer giving any warrantee to wheels  :o
I'm checking this out with the bods at H-D HQ and will report back.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2011, 07:47:40 PM »

12 weeks ago I had a collision and the bike was written off as was the car that pulled out in front of me.
One minute I was riding along on a clear sunny day the next I was waking up in hospital.
I have no recollection of the accident whatsoever and luckily was able to ride again within six weeks.
Vincent, so glad that you have survived the accident and healed so quickly.  (faster than me)  Get the scooter you like best and if some chrome peels, just do as
Stu did and have the part re-chromed.  Usually much better chroming than the stock stuff and will last longer and look better.  Ride safe.  :2vrolijk_21:  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Phoenixbiker

• CVO1: 09 Ruby Red SEEG
    • CVO2: (non) 94 Red FLHTUC
    • CVO3: (non) 82 FXR
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2011, 06:44:04 AM »

Just getting to terms with the crome peeling off my back gear shifter on my 09SEEG and the front shifter chrome is blistering here in good old OZ.
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up space!

ScreaminEagleRoadGlide

• Vendor
  • 2009 CVO Road Glide (FLTRSE3)

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO2: 2011 Tri Glide Ultra Classic
    • CVO3: 2010 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 5.7
    • Hawg Wash Motorcycle Detailing
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2011, 09:17:26 AM »

I'm a bike detailer and recently did a CVO Ultra Classic with a really bad case of peeling chrome, that the owner brought to my attention when I began working on it. I have done 4 CVO's recently and one other was in the early stages of blistering, a 2009 Road Glide, which is the same bike I own. I hope I am not going to experience this as well. Why would H-D make their expensive special production bikes with inferior parts? I don't see this happening on the standard production models.
Hawg Wash Motorcycle Detailing
954-540-9874
www.hawgwashdetailing.com
South Florida's finest motorcycle detailing service!
We come to you 7 days a week in Miami-Dade, Broward & Palm Beach

Chilly

• CVO1: 2010 se-ultra
    • CVO2: 2000 dyna convertible
    • CVO3: 89 ultra w/100 rev--tech and 79 flh w/sidecar
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2011, 05:26:05 PM »

Just had my right side mirror replaced for pitting chrome. How long before other side starts.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2011, 05:45:05 PM »

Just had my right side mirror replaced for pitting chrome. How long before other side starts.
Might not.  Could have been in a different 'batch' and not have a problem.  Keep your fingers crossed.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 25 queries.