Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: OIL LEAKING>>>>>>>>>>>  (Read 6649 times)

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
Re: OIL LEAKING>>>>>>>>>>>
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2006, 09:46:40 AM »

Seems like the problem is specific to the '06's.  I'm around 15k on the '04 and no sign of weakness or even spiderwebbing on the outside layer of material.  Was in the shop yesterday and looked at a high mile '05, 25k plus, with no sign of deterioration.  Part numbers didn't change, but I'll bet the vendor did.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2006, 11:25:18 AM »

Got to be that the vendor changed, B...especially since nobody with 04/05's have reported this problem, though there's still room for a little concern there if the hose is up against the frame.  The MOCO must have gotten a low bid from BFE somewhere. Wonder if they've realized it and gone back to the old vendor, since things are on backorder. It would be interesting to note if there is any difference in the old hose and the replacement with regards to materials/reinforcement materials.

The problem is, even if you've got another set with you on the road, if the damn thing blows, you've got a real problem...those hoses don't look like a 5 minute job to change out, plus you'd have the friggin' oil all over the place, and none to go back in.

Back in the old days, you could look at a heater hose or a belt and see/feel if it had soft spots or was cracking, etc, but with some of the newer materials, there are no signs...it just goes.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2006, 11:54:14 AM »

Seems like the problem is specific to the '06's.  I'm around 15k on the '04 and no sign of weakness or even spiderwebbing on the outside layer of material.  Was in the shop yesterday and looked at a high mile '05, 25k plus, with no sign of deterioration.  Part numbers didn't change, but I'll bet the vendor did.

That was my thought too Brian.  Same thought it was kept me from getting a set of spares from current inventory.  For twenty bucks it'd be cheap insurance to stick in the glove box and forget about until such a time as they might be needed out in the boonies someplace.  But am less inclined to buy the parts from a current inventory that will almost certainly come from the same supplier offering the hoses that are now rupturing with such regularity.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2006, 11:58:00 AM »

The problem is, even if you've got another set with you on the road, if the damn thing blows, you've got a real problem...those hoses don't look like a 5 minute job to change out, plus you'd have the friggin' oil all over the place, and none to go back in.

Back in the old days, you could look at a heater hose or a belt and see/feel if it had soft spots or was cracking, etc, but with some of the newer materials, there are no signs...it just goes.

Terry, I wasn't so much thinking of a quick fix on the side of the road as I was of at least having a part that no one else would have available.  Having eyeballed it it could be changed on the road or in a motel parking lot if you had to and had some relatively basic tools with you.  But even if that weren't the choice you made ANY little shop or gas station certainly could if you just had the hose to begin with.  Score some oil from a local parts store and you're back on the road in a couple hours rather than a couple days of parts-waiting.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2006, 12:10:35 PM »

Good point, Don...I think I'll just do the temp fix to the place that's up against the frame, then when I do the 5K oil change, pull the hoses off, take them to a local place and have a GOOD set made, and not have to worry about it anymore.  That will probably be just before MV.  I'll just do a visual every time I detail until that point in time.  Especially since the hoses seem to be on backorder anyhow...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2006, 12:36:33 PM »

Good point, Don...I think I'll just do the temp fix to the place that's up against the frame, then when I do the 5K oil change, pull the hoses off, take them to a local place and have a GOOD set made, and not have to worry about it anymore.  That will probably be just before MV.  I'll just do a visual every time I detail until that point in time.  Especially since the hoses seem to be on backorder anyhow...

Here's a thought.  When the hydraulic shop (or whomever) makes the "good set" have them mold a second set and I'll split the cost with you.

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2006, 01:37:23 PM »

Dealer just finished checking mine and said they were in great shape...no cracks or rubbing along the hose at any point.  They have seen a bike there that had one crack also so checking mine was a priority while they were replacing the Voltage Regulator.  So this problem might be limited to a batch of hoses or improper installation allowing them to rub on the frame.....my bike has over 18K on the odo, if it were gonna rub thru it would of done it by now.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2006, 02:31:44 PM »

.....my bike has over 18K on the odo, if it were gonna rub thru it would of done it by now.

Mine has a bit more miles than yours and is a bit older too and hose also feels nice and pliable.  Only issue was the slight rub on the frame that I covered with a piece from a donor bit fuel line.  Shouldn't be any more problem than any other hose.  Just hearing of all the sudden and relatively recent failures is enough to make you go "hmmmmmmm?"

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2006, 07:56:20 AM »

Mine has a bit more miles than yours and is a bit older too and hose also feels nice and pliable.  Only issue was the slight rub on the frame that I covered with a piece from a donor bit fuel line.  Shouldn't be any more problem than any other hose.  Just hearing of all the sudden and relatively recent failures is enough to make you go "hmmmmmmm?"

Oh yeah...definately made me say hmmmmm...and then tell the dealer to look at while they had it in the shop. ;) My arse is covered now...I have paperwork with them saying they check out fine....so if it blows...it's really on them.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 25 queries.