Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: heated grip in line fuse 72331-95  (Read 6463 times)

hverbakel

• Full CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2006 CVO Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 2001 Screamin Eagle Road Glide
heated grip in line fuse 72331-95
« on: January 11, 2013, 05:35:23 PM »

The heated grips on my 06 ultra have not been working for some time. Does anyone know how and where i check the condition of this fuse.
06 Screaming Eagle Ultra Classic
01 Screaming Eagle Roadglide

rdawg

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE Rio Red AKA "Red Rider"
Re: heated grip in line fuse 72331-95
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 07:50:04 PM »

Seems to be on the left side grip.  I installed a set on my wife's 09 ultra and don't remember an inline fuse.  It wired to the fuse block  under left side cover.  Found instruction on the HD website.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 10:05:06 PM »

The heated grips on my 06 ultra have not been working for some time. Does anyone know how and where i check the condition of this fuse.

Hate to tell you, but if you don't find something obvious like a blown fuse, the odds are great that the grips are bad.  The '06 models had a real problem with those.  Get some Heat Demons and be done with it.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 09:01:45 AM »

The version in the catalog has an inline fuse holder and fuse in the hot lead (red) that attaches to the battery or the B+ connector, and it should be located very near the battery.  It would look very similar to the inline fuse holder for the battery tender harness.  However, I have no idea if the CVO bikes that came with the grips from the factory have the same fuse holder.  If you want to verify any fuse is OK and you're getting power to the grips you could use a volt meter or test light at the left grip connection.  You should have battery voltage between the red and black wires with the ignition on.  If you do, the fuses are good.  Btw, there are two fuses for the system.  The one in the fuse holder is 5 amp, and there is also a 2 amp fuse in the bike's fuse block that provides switched power to turn the system on only when the ignition is on.  Should be labeled P&A I believe.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

hverbakel

• Full CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 09:24:25 AM »

THanks, I know the main fuse going to the battery is good, but before i ditch the grips altogether, i wanted to check the other fuse. If only I could find it?

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 11:15:36 AM »

hverbakel

• Full CVO Member
    • ON

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 02:12:28 PM »

appreciate your help, but I can't find any rference to the heated grips on these wiring diagrams, am I missing something?

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 02:42:07 PM »

appreciate your help, but I can't find any rference to the heated grips on these wiring diagrams, am I missing something?

I can't fully recall, but I'm 99% sure that the '06 CVO SEUC did not have an in line fuse anywhere for the hand warmers.  The only fuse would be located on the main fuse panel for the bike.  As I said, I can't remember for sure, but I'm 100% sure that I would have traced my '06 SEUC's wiring to ensure it was not just a fuse when mine stopped working in late '06 or early '07.  It was not a fuse, needless to say.  I replaced mine with Heat Demons and never had another issue, but I sold the bike in the Summer of '08.  The Heat Demons are a proven product here on this site, and are particularly easy to install on the '06 because it is not a throttle by wire bike.  The Heat Demons heating element goes inside the bar on both sides. You can even use the current connectors for the factory grips on the Heat Demon wiring by simply soldering or butt splicing the power and ground after cutting the connectors for the factory grips, which you'll need to do (or remove the pins from them) in order to pull the wires out of the bars at the same time you remove the grips. If you get the chrome Heat Demon switch for the handlebars, it looks like it grew there. 

You will have to replace both grips though, but HD makes a non heated version of the same model grip.

The heated grips in '06/'07 were garbage...NUMEROUS reported failures on this site alone. Not all of them failed, but a lot of them. They seem to be holding up better on the newer bikes, but I don't think the newer ones get as hot as the older ones.  But that's a good thing.

And while you're doing all this, why not replace the handlebars with Wild One 575's...you'll love 'em.  Then you can just pull all the wires out of the bars and pull the Heat Demon wires in with the old ones on the new bars.  It's a bit of a task to replace the bars, but well worth it for both looks and a more comfortable wrist angle, plus they are up and back about 1-2", depending on the angle relative to the fork line.  And then you get to spend more money  :huepfenlol2:

TTS Mastertune

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 03:08:54 PM »

No  you didn't miss any thing I had not relay looked for them on the diagrams in detail but no there not there :nixweiss: I'm thinking these diagrams may be for none cvo thats would be why the heat grips are not on it.
Can't say for sure Sorry about that mate, but maybe the rest of it may come in handy down the road

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 03:47:34 PM »

You'll have to have the Electrical Service Manual Supplement for the '06 SEUC.  The normal "Touring" manual will not show the grips as part of the wiring schematic.

TTS Mastertune

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 07:31:09 PM »

The heated grips in '06/'07 were garbage...NUMEROUS reported failures on this site alone. Not all of them failed, but a lot of them. They seem to be holding up better on the newer bikes, but I don't think the newer ones get as hot as the older ones.  But that's a good thing

Just for future referents this Supplement Manual if I'm not mistaken is for the extras that CVO has
    installed?. Every thing appears to be there in the diagram but the heated grips. Is this Supplement Manual just a manual for the grip wiring or is there more the normal "Touring" manual dose not show in it's wiring?   You have a CVO manual (that are not cheap by the way)and they leave certain bits out of the diagrams

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 08:38:02 PM »

Try this link I've been doing a bit of digging came up with this hope it helps

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Media/downloads/Service/isheets/-J04259.pdf

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 25 queries.