Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Recommended upgrade to take 110 to next level (did cam already, want more)  (Read 4420 times)

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member

CC, and surface the heads, slip that 30T pulley on it, and have it tuned.
You'll be QUITE surprised, and it won't break the bank doing it either.
Scott

RatMonkey

• Full CVO Member

Thanks folks!   I am planning on taking this advice.   
I will come back and report when its all done.

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4

I did the 30 tooth front sprocket on my 08 and it was like someone smarter than me on this site said,  it was equivalent to adding 10 Hp.  In my case the 08 always suffered from throttle lag from time to time, so the change had a kick in the butt difference.  Newer bikes have different belt sizes to contend with but it was well worth the change.  Last winter I measured the crank run out on my 110 with 60,000 miles on her.   The high run out indicated I needed to prepare for a catastrophe if I did nothing, rebuild the motor or just replace it.  I opted for a replacement.  Runs cool and smooth.  I hear people talking $10,000 for a 124 installed but mine was around $7,200 not counting the exhaust.  If I could have done it myself it would have been done for much less.  You have allot of good advice on this post which is always predictable.  Guys here know their stuff.  Seeing all the issues over the years with high performance upgrades on the stock 110 crank shaft my opinion has differed dramatically.  I would do minor upgrades and pay particular attention to the tune, (non dealer) but always keep and eye on that crank.  It's like gambling and HD is the house that never looses.  It's like the old Fram commercial pay me now or pay me later, eventually if ridden hard one tends to have to pay. 

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.

I did some head work on mine, port and polish, new guides, larger valves, and valve springs. Intake was ported as well to match the heads.  Also, the heads were milled for more compression. The heads were shipped to J Precision in Quebec Canada.  My 110 is all stock with stock cams. I have a Rinheart Extreme True Dual exhaust with 4 inch mufflers. Also have a Doherty intake. The head work cost me $2300,00 and then I had to dino tune. $350.00  ( using the power commander ) The bike runs so nice compared to stock, seems to be much cooler as well.  Making 100 hp and 120 fpt. That chitty thumping noise from the stock intake is gone with the Doherty. ( thank god ) and the power difference is remarkable. It top gear, I can bury the speedo with out any problem.   Pulls very hard, and revs very easily. Has some valve train noise but seems to be quieter after the build, and I am using synthetic Amzoil. The fuel consumption is way up to. If I am honking on it I can go through a tank in no time. Kind of shocking at first. I thought I had a fuel leak. If I ride like a pussy, then I can get about 280 miles out of a tank. Love that torque though.

So, If you are going to do the heads to raise compression, do the same things  I did to my heads at the same time. The price will be right around what your budget is.  Once you are done with that, do your suspension!!!!!!   WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!  I went with Works Shocks and Works Cartridges for the front end. I am telling you, it is THE BEST $2000.00 I have ever spent on any bike mod. What a difference. WOW.  I am totally excited to ride now. Love how it feels. How smooth it is, how planted it feels, how it does not dive any more, how I don't get jolted out of my seat, ets ets ets.  Cheers.
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

RatMonkey

• Full CVO Member

Ok, I AM the OP...

My mechanic recommends the Tman CVO signature Thumper kit. 

I already did cams, would this kit replace those cams (so I  wasted my money on the cam job?)

Also, the Tman website says I need to add a throttle body and rockers too.  I assume you all agree?

Is this kit the way to go?
Any one have this and can comment?

Thank you

Look like over $4k installed.  Worth it?
Thanks

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.

If you are spending $4000.00 I would do $2000.00 on the head work/tuning, and $2000.00 on suspension. You will love it.
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG

Ok, I AM the OP...

I already did cams, would this kit replace those cams (so I  wasted my money on the cam job?)

Also, the Tman website says I need to add a throttle body and rockers too.  I assume you all agree?

Thank you

Thanks

Read the below thread.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=80334.0

As the member in that thread found out, there are two very important functions that can and did deliver outstanding results using this package.
Those functions are quality assembly and a quality tune.
If you want to know what a kick ass package his bike is, pm him, he will share his results.
He's that kind of guy!
 ;)

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member

Ok, I AM the OP...

Thank you

Thanks

I responded to your PM, but please be sure to read the thread you were directed to.  I has most of the answers to the questions you asked.

$4K will get you started. ::)  I'm glad I did what I did and I'm extremely pleased with the way it turned out, but I had certain reasons for wanting to do what I did.  A combination of curiosity about what kind of power a 110" could make, wanting a "sleeper," stock-looking build and not being able to get my head in a good place about using vendor A's heads, B's cams, C's pistons and D's bottom end led me down the path I went on. 

Lots of other good options mentioned in this thread.  Only you can be the judge of whether the money you will spend with be "worth it" to you.

redmtrckl

• Junior CVO Member

T-man knows how to make them 110's get with it. If you go with his kit you are gonna need to add some more holding power to your clutch so put that into your budget. A good T-man 110 build can easily make 125/125.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 25 queries.