Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2010 FLHXSE Downshift Vibration  (Read 3146 times)

Beak Boater

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC Progressive Mono Tubes, Klockwerks 8.5; Heads By TMan, Rinehart True duals, TTS Mastertune By Doc's
    • CVO2: 2015 SESG Hard Candy, Crusher Tridents, Fulsac X, TTS Mastertune by Docs Performance
2010 FLHXSE Downshift Vibration
« on: September 13, 2013, 08:16:27 PM »

First off, did a search but didn't find exactly what I was looking for so..... I have a 2010 SEUC I bought new and just bought a used 2010 FLHXSE. Bought the Street Glide from a dealer, they went over the bike said it was fine. I love the way it rides and handles, except it seems to have a rather harsh vibration when downshifting. Notice  it mostly when I let the clutch out when slowing down. Not the brakes, checked for a loose mount, all were tight. I am comparing this to my SEUC which is very smooth when downshifting. Don't notice it when accelerating or any other time except when I let the clutch out when downshifting.
I know they are the same motor, and drive train, just didn't know if its normal on the Street Glides or if I should look at something else. Both bikes have Rinehart exhaust, no cats, and tuners.
Since this is the only Street Glide I have ridden, I can only compare it to my SEUC. It may be nothing just the nature of the beast, but I was curious if anyone else experienced this.
Yesterday's History, Tomorrow's a Mystery, Live for Today.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
Re: 2010 FLHXSE Downshift Vibration
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 08:46:42 PM »

Beak Boater, I am not an expert like some of the guys here, but I would check my motor mounts first. If your bike does not vibrate upon acceleration there is a good chance it could be the motor mounts, check your rear wheel for alignment. A friend of mine had a similar issue on his Road King and it turned out that after he had some work done the mechanic did not mount his front motor mount correctly. CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

Beak Boater

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC Progressive Mono Tubes, Klockwerks 8.5; Heads By TMan, Rinehart True duals, TTS Mastertune By Doc's
    • CVO2: 2015 SESG Hard Candy, Crusher Tridents, Fulsac X, TTS Mastertune by Docs Performance
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 08:55:27 PM »

Thanks for the response, I checked the bolts on the front mounts and they were tight, It almost feels like the clutch grabs instead of slips when you let it out when you are slowing down. I tried bringing the rpms up higher than normal when downshifting but it still vibrates. You can feel it in the seat, and see it in the faring shaking. Just trying to find out if others with Street Glides have this. My SEUC doesn't shake like that when down shifting. I know the suspension is stiffer on the Street Glide and maybe that is some of it. But I thought the 2 bikes since they are the same frame and motor and transmission would feel about the same. I know the Street Glide is almost 100 lbs lighter. Love the bike just trying to find out if its normal.

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 11:37:48 PM »

The SEUC and SESG are identical mechanically. No difference in the drive train. I would check the SESG clutch plates to see if the SESG plates are worn or grabbing. How many miles are on the SESG? And are there any engine mods?

Perhaps your SEUC clutch is slipping and you haven't noticed it until now?

The clutch should NOT slip. I went to an Energy One extra clutch plate kit on the Honey Badger because my clutch was slipping... But you didn't explicitly say your clutch was slipping.

Different bikes are different. But if you are experiencing vibration, perhaps a Hayden BT07 primary chain tensioner could help... It eases the transition from power to decel, and keeps the primary chain tension from getting too tight, as the stock ratcheting tensioner can make it. Just a thought.

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

SG Racer

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG2, Black Diamond/ Inferno Orange
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG, Cherry
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 01:30:27 AM »

X2 on the primary chain tension.
 Also I would check the exhaust, look at where the muffler mounts under the saddle bags. The rubber wears quick.
 Remember Kiss. Look for the simple things first. Exhaust can give you nightmares.
 Good luck.
 Ray
D&D Fat Cat W/Ghost pipe
Custom leather seat
12" Yaffe Monkey Bagger Bars
SEPST
93Hp, 116Tq

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 11:13:08 AM »

I know some have had troubles with clutch basket. But I don't remember the symtoms just giving you something else to check. Hope you figure it out soon.

Beak Boater

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 07:54:03 PM »

Thanks again for the suggestions. I went over all the clamps on the exhaust system some loose, tightened them didn't make a difference though. The bracket for the cross over pipe had the bolts missing from the back of the transmission fixed that, still the same vibration. Could just be the nature of the beast.

JustDennis

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Spiced Rum
    • CVO2: 2005 VRSCSE Light/Dark Cherry
    • CVO3: 2008 Ford F150 Harley Edition - Supercharged
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 08:07:20 AM »

I know you said that the vibration occurs when you let out the clutch downshifting but I had a harsh vibration on my 2010 FLHXSE when slowing down.  What I found was when the bike was slowing down, there was just enough flex for the exhaust pipes to contact the right floorboard causing a very harsh vibration.  A spacer for the floorboard eliminated the problem.  Maybe worth checking.  I never suspected the clearance issue.  Was convinced it was something else.
Ride Safe,
JustDennis

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 05:46:02 PM »

I know you said that the vibration occurs when you let out the clutch downshifting but I had a harsh vibration on my 2010 FLHXSE when slowing down.  What I found was when the bike was slowing down, there was just enough flex for the exhaust pipes to contact the right floorboard causing a very harsh vibration.  A spacer for the floorboard eliminated the problem.  Maybe worth checking.  I never suspected the clearance issue.  Was convinced it was something else.
[/quote
Ah Ha! Had the same issue after I installed my exhaust. Thought I broke something before I figured it out.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 25 queries.