Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mainshaft Transmission Leak  (Read 5057 times)

mgreen3940

• Junior CVO Member
Mainshaft Transmission Leak
« on: June 23, 2014, 04:30:44 PM »

Well, it would appear after 30,000 miles on my 2013 CVO RGC that I've developed a leak behind the primary.  After several cleaning processes and looking under it with a flashlight, I've got a transmission leak from behind the mainshaft sprocket.  I did some research to find that this seems to be a common problem that occurs especially on the touring models.  I'm going to replace all the seals, gaskets, inner primary bearing, and inner primary race and fix this myself since I've understood that if I was to claim it under warranty that the moco would only pay to replace the leaking seal along with the labor at replacing it.  So I prefer peace of mind knowing that all are replaced after disturbing the rubber seals along with knowing that new bearings are on it too.  It will also allow me to see if the inner primary race has worked its way in toward the transmission since they are known to walk.

Not sure if others have experienced this yet on newer models yet but am letting others know that this seems to be a common issue.  And if it doesn't leak from the mainshaft, the shifter shaft is another susceptible leak point which is why I'm replacing that seal while I'm at it too that wouldn't have been replaced if submitted via warranty.  In conclusion please check under your bike for the least little amount of fluid in order to catch yours soon like I had in order to replace seals and such prior to something more catastrophic to your bike.

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
Re: Mainshaft Transmission Leak
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 05:54:55 PM »

just got my bike back friday, the tranny  main bearing went out (made a crunching noise when rolling it in gear with motor off) was told that there has been a lot this failure, probably why it took 6 days to get parts & 5 days to put them in. did not have any leaks tho. MOCO paid 100% , good luck. PS bike had just under 19k miles on when noise started
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 06:01:41 PM by fastfreddy »
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 11:48:53 PM »

Might as well put in the Baker Primary bearing about 50 bucks but no more walking worries.

CVOSE

• FL

• CVO1: VRSCSE2
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 04:08:33 AM »

I have the same problem on my 2007 SERK. After 50.000 mls I discovered some oil under my SERK. I started taking the primary apart and discovered that the main bearing off the gearbox is gone. :( Removing the nut of the sprocket was a extremely difficult, it needed a lot of heat before it came off.
 It (like always) happened at the wrong part of the season. Hope the parts are in stock and it's ready in two weeks, just before my holidays

Classic Beast

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

• Bob McImages
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 09:21:41 AM »

I tried the baker bearing which worked fine but I like the S&S set up better as you can still use the stock inner primary bearing and seal, it doesn't walk or crack like my stock one did.
2012 Road glide ultra 103
DD7 Baker, S&S 570, Fulsac DX, 2"
SE CNC heads 58mm throttle body
95 FLSTN
127" Ultima
DD6 Baker
3 X PM 6 piston calipers
S&S Clutch
Lindal Ceramic discs
RB Black Hole pipe
Thunderstar mags
6 gal tanks
Custom Chrome front end
Rear chain drive
150WW Avon Venom rear tire
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 09:57:11 AM »

I tried the baker bearing which worked fine but I like the S&S set up better as you can still use the stock inner primary bearing and seal, it doesn't walk or crack like my stock one did.
I hadn't seen the S&S unit yet. Mine walked back in 08 but has been fine since.

mgreen3940

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 01:43:54 PM »

I've looked at both Baker and S&S.  I too like the S&S; however, they do not make an inner primary race for the newer model of bikes so the plan is to put an OEM replacement race in until some day in the future that S&S or someone else makes a race for these newer models.

mgreen3940

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 08:00:59 PM »

I've looked at both Baker and S&S.  I too like the S&S; however, they do not make an inner primary race for the newer model of bikes so the plan is to put an OEM replacement race in until some day in the future that S&S or someone else makes a race for these newer models.

I'm also understanding that the Baker Hi Torque bearing only works on mainshafts up to 2007.  Has anyone installed a Baker Hi Torque bearing on a newer model?

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 07:04:22 PM »

I'm also understanding that the Baker Hi Torque bearing only works on mainshafts up to 2007.  Has anyone installed a Baker Hi Torque bearing on a newer model?
No, they only fit to 07.....

Classic Beast

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

• Bob McImages
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 05:53:15 AM »

There is an upgrade from Baker included in my DD7  see below from Baker

9-12-08
Now included in the BAKER DD7 Builder’s Kit is pn 34091-06, Inner Primary
Race. Starting in 2008 Harley changed the ground diameter of the stock 6 speed
mainshaft where it passes thru the bearing within the inner primary. Therefore
2008 & 2009 models use a different inner race than the 2006-2007 Cruise Drive
6 speed equipped models. The inner primary bearing part number is unchanged
and the same (pn 9231) for all Cruise Drive models. The newly included bearing
race needs to be installed, per the factory service manual, on all DD7’s that are
being installed on 2008 or 2009 Softail, Dyna or Touring models. 2006 Dyna or
2007 Softail, Dyna or Touring models can either re-use the stock inner race or
install the new provided part
2012 Road glide ultra 103
DD7 Baker, S&S 570, Fulsac DX, 2"
SE CNC heads 58mm throttle body
95 FLSTN
127" Ultima
DD6 Baker
3 X PM 6 piston calipers
S&S Clutch
Lindal Ceramic discs
RB Black Hole pipe
Thunderstar mags
6 gal tanks
Custom Chrome front end
Rear chain drive
150WW Avon Venom rear tire
2009 Cadillac CTS-V

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 25 queries.