Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Power Commander or SE Super Tuner  (Read 1852 times)

harley.dad

• TN

• CVO1: 2008 CVO Ultra, 105th Anniversary
Power Commander or SE Super Tuner
« on: September 06, 2014, 10:54:28 PM »

Any good or bad comments on either the SE Super Tuner or Power Commander 5, which one is better than the other.

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

Re: Power Commander or SE Super Tuner
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 08:57:37 AM »

Anything is better than the H-D tuners
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

luc.who

• Senior CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Slate gray/Black
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 09:20:28 AM »

If you are planning to have your biked tuned, talk to your tuner and see which device he prefers.   If you are planning on using canned maps or AT, then you may look at different options.

I have friends who have good dyno guys at the dealer and others who use Indytuning,  My indy has a good rep for tuning but uses the revolution tuner.
2012 FLHXSE3 Slate Gray/ Diamond Black
Drago Heads & 580 Cams
118 HP and 125 TQ
Built & Tuned by Wide Open Cycles in Virginia
TTS Master Tuner
Fullsac DX Header
Rinehart 4inch slip ons

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 10:46:29 AM »

Any good or bad comments on either the SE Super Tuner or Power Commander 5, which one is better than the other.

There are many choices, not just the two you mentioned.  IMHO you would be better off staying away from the add-on box devices like the Power Commander and instead go with one of the flash tuning systems that just install a new map directly to your stock ECM.  Those include choices like the SEPST, the TTS MasterTune, the Power Vision, etc..  Out of all of them, the TTS seems to offer the ability to adjust more parameters than any of the others.

Rather than go out and buy a device and then find someone to tune the bike with it, you really should spend your time initially finding a full time fully qualified professional tuner (don't assume that any place with a dyno can do a good tune, especially Harley dealerships).  Once you find someone you can trust to do a good tune, talk to that person about which device and software package he prefers.  When you hire a mechanic to work on your car or bike I doubt you worry about things like does he use Snap-On tools or S-K. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 07:04:10 PM »

There are many choices, not just the two you mentioned.  IMHO you would be better off staying away from the add-on box devices like the Power Commander and instead go with one of the flash tuning systems that just install a new map directly to your stock ECM.  Those include choices like the SEPST, the TTS MasterTune, the Power Vision, etc..  Out of all of them, the TTS seems to offer the ability to adjust more parameters than any of the others.

Rather than go out and buy a device and then find someone to tune the bike with it, you really should spend your time initially finding a full time fully qualified professional tuner (don't assume that any place with a dyno can do a good tune, especially Harley dealerships).  Once you find someone you can trust to do a good tune, talk to that person about which device and software package he prefers.  When you hire a mechanic to work on your car or bike I doubt you worry about things like does he use Snap-On tools or S-K. 

Jerry

Exactly what Jerry said, although I personally would choose the Power Vision, either of the flash tuners will be better than the piggy-backs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 07:20:42 PM »

I've got a Power Commander off of my 2011 CVO Street Glide for a very reasonable price if interested.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

hrdtail78

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 12:34:01 PM »

Go for the flash tuners first.  It's better than buying the PC and after you find it less than favorable.  Then buying a flash tuner.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 06:25:57 PM »

I like the PC-V / Auto, it's delivering for me on the 117". It has given me a good tune without any dyno time.

All the flash tuners mentioned here are really good, but one or two of them used to lock out the ECM from Harley Dealer diagnostics, (I don't know if they still do? If they don't, then I stand corrected) I travel a lot, and if there is a perceived problem with the ECM or other electronics (or the PC-V for that matter) all the Dealer has to do is remove the PC-V to diagnose / isolate the problem. Of course the SE Tuner can be diagnosed at any Dealer.

I have had better success "Auto Tuning" the canned maps from the PC-V than the dyno tunes from the Dealer.

JMHO, Your results may vary...     
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 25 queries.