Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oil pressure  (Read 1727 times)

HDguy

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Oil pressure
« on: March 28, 2007, 03:39:40 AM »

I just had a fueling oil pump , cam support plate ,fueling lifters, zippers 575 cams and pro taper pushrods installed and am just curious as to what oil pressures others are getting with a similar setup. I am getting 16 psi at idle and 32 psi motoring down the road and those seem to be low. I'm thinking I have an o-ring pinched or out of position, what are your thoughts.
2006 flhtcuse,V@H true duals with classic slash cut mufflers with end caps, slotted six spoke drive sprocket,fuelpak tuner,nav sys,stage 1 intake,chrome inner primary,SE six speed trans,chrome intake backplate.
2005 flstsci,aux lights,se mufflers,sta

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Oil pressure
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 04:39:35 AM »

I just had a fueling oil pump , cam support plate ,fueling lifters, zippers 575 cams and pro taper pushrods installed and am just curious as to what oil pressures others are getting with a similar setup. I am getting 16 psi at idle and 32 psi motoring down the road and those seem to be low. I'm thinking I have an o-ring pinched or out of position, what are your thoughts.

HDG, to my recollection EVERYONE with the Feuling pump has seen better numbers.  Did you change the relief valve (spring) also?

My own nearly pegs the gauge at full operating temp while going down the road.  Never drops below 20-ish if I remember correctly.

Your pressure readings aren't dangerous in and of themselves.  But they sure seem different than what others have received.

HDguy

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 05:37:52 AM »

twolane, thats what I thought. The only difference is alot of people have reused there support plates instead of using feulings. I am going to call up feuling and see what they say. 
2006 flhtcuse,V@H true duals with classic slash cut mufflers with end caps, slotted six spoke drive sprocket,fuelpak tuner,nav sys,stage 1 intake,chrome inner primary,SE six speed trans,chrome intake backplate.

HDguy

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 05:40:28 AM »

Oops, forget to say no I did not change the relief spring because according to feuling everything was preset on the new cam support plate.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 12:52:19 PM »

Are you getting any oil misting from the breathers? A lot of times if the O-ring is out of place you can get heavy oil mist, but not always the case.

HDguy

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 03:50:21 PM »

Talon ,   no oil misting from the breather. I talked to Luke  @ feuling today and he said the pressures do seem low but not that bad. He said on average you can expect 10psi for every 1000 rpm so if thats the case than I am good at idle and just a little low at rpm. I checked for wet sumping per feulings troubleshooting and I only got 2 oz's of oil so I guess I good with the "o" rings. Luke did say that the oil press. gauges on our rides are not all that accurate.The one peace of mind is that before I had the  pump and plate changed out is that the oil press. at idle was around 4psi.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 03:52:21 PM »

Oops, forget to say no I did not change the relief spring because according to feuling everything was preset on the new cam support plate.

Missed that the first time through.  With their cam plate you'd not mess with the relief spring. 

I can even give you a before and after comparison though.  With the spring change in the stock cam plate and using the Feuling pump had the good, solid, stable oil pressure described above.  Then later did the rest of the top end which also required a different cam.  That time installed the Feuling cam plate.  With the Feuling cam plate saw the same curve for oil pressure across the board but at a rate of just less than 5 psi less than when the relief spring had been changed in the stock plate.  There's greater volume that goes through the Feuling plate, however, with the benefit of the loss of a bit of cavitation that can be generated through the stock plate.  So it's still a real benefit and the pressure is great.

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 25 queries.