Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: turn signal  (Read 2169 times)

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
turn signal
« on: July 02, 2007, 02:11:06 PM »

When I turn on my left turn signal it does not go on and also the light on the dash does not light up.  I checked and it is not the bulbs.  Any idea?
Bill

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
Re: turn signal
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 02:16:12 PM »

Can't help you on the turnsignal issue but glad you found us and introduce yourself in the new members area.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 02:16:54 PM »

When I turn on my left turn signal it does not go on and also the light on the dash does not light up.  I checked and it is not the bulbs.  Any idea?

What happens when you turn on your 4-way flashers?

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• Re/Max
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 03:05:14 PM »

When I put on the 4 way flashers only the right side works.  The lamps are on and work other then the left flasher
Bill

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 03:38:09 PM »

Something shorted on that side.  Check both the front and rear bulb on that side.  It could be something as simple as the back of the bulb is no longer making contat with the lead.  It's more likely a ground issue on that side, if both bulbs are good.  HD Dude can probably give you more specific direction.....being the wiring wizard that he is.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 03:39:27 PM »

When I put on the 4 way flashers only the right side works.  The lamps are on and work other then the left flasher

OK. If you put on the right turn signal and then push the left turn signal button, do the right turn signals cancel? If not, I would look at the connections for the left button. Can you check for a bad switch with a meter?

It all depends on how much you want to get involved vs having the dealer look at it. I'm thinking either a bad connection / turn signal button or a bad TSSM (Turn Signal Security Module). It will take more troubleshooting to figiure out which.

Good luck

TallyClassic

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 12:02:02 PM »

Isn't there a problem with the left turnsignal housing?  I had mine replaced because of something wrong in the switch that causes the symptoms that you describe.  The Dealer should be able to tell if it was ever replaced.

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 03:59:27 PM »

Something shorted on that side.  Check both the front and rear bulb on that side.  It could be something as simple as the back of the bulb is no longer making contat with the lead.  It's more likely a ground issue on that side, if both bulbs are good.  HD Dude can probably give you more specific direction.....being the wiring wizard that he is.

Not to be picky, JC, but I'm thinking more along the lines of an open in the circuit....   Try turning on the right side blinkers, and then hit the left switch...  If it's an open out in the circuit, it will cancel the right lights, but not turn on the left side. (at that point look for opens on the grounds, at the bulbs, at the housings...etc)  If it does Nothing, then I would look for junk on the contacts withing the left side switch or a pinched wire on/in the bars.   If both of those options go no-joy, I would drop in the dealers lap, 'cuz it's most likely the module, and should be covered under warrantee.  (Not that the others wouldn't be, but I would rather do what I can so the orangutan at the dealer doesn't screw up any more chrome and paint than needed...)
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

d o g o l s

• 1K CVO Member
  • *** ride save and have fun***

• CVO1: blue Thunder FLHTCUSE-4
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE-2 black-orange-Jester
    • CVO3: 2008 FXDB black
    • Harley Fan
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 02:57:53 AM »

muddypaws welcome aboard  :2vrolijk_21:

:worthless:

REGGAB

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 08:19:42 AM »

I can't offer much technical expertise on this issue save for it seems isolated to the left, but I did want to say Hello, and welcome to CVO Harley!!

hogasm

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2007, 09:40:07 AM »

I have had 2 new left turn signals and 5 new wiring harnesses installed under warranty. Problem is that water for some reason will get into the left signal and ground out. Look for corrosion on the bulb contacts inside the housing. Clean them with some electronic cleaner and reinstall the bulb using dialectric grease.
For some reason, even after going through this since 04, we can't stop the water from entering the signal housing. Have taken precautions by filling every nook and crany with silicone, and water still gets in.

So....I drilled a small hole in the bottom of the housing to let the water drain out. No problems in the last 6 months

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• Re/Max
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2007, 08:27:21 AM »

It was the turn signal/security mod.  $114 and I'm good to go.  Thanks for all your help.
Bill

hogasm

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2007, 10:47:25 AM »

It was the turn signal/security mod.  $114 and I'm good to go.  Thanks for all your help.

That is a great price. Mine was around $300,  but got my money back when they found that not to be the problem

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 25 queries.