Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to Win Friends and Influence People: Part 2  (Read 1071 times)

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
How to Win Friends and Influence People: Part 2
« on: October 18, 2007, 07:42:12 AM »

The SERK3 has been at the dealer eight days for installation of the IDS ($2 labor after the Elbow Grease kick-in), but more importantly for a continuing valve noise.  The boxes were clearanced at 750 miles, but now at 2800 miles the noise is worse than before and can be heard by people as the bike goes by.  It starts at 2000 rpm, mysteriously disappears for a couple hundred, then returns before disappearing again at about 2500.  It does it on the way up and down the rev range.

Eight days later I went to pick it up and was told that the Motor Company (can they call themselves that after making these 110s?) says the noise, "is within the normal range", and unless it gets worse they won't do anything about it.  I guess I have to wait until it grenades itself and they replace the engine - except the Chinese crank shaft which will somehow be within a thousandth of the recently expanded "normal range".  I've always been real easy on bikes, but I believe I'm going to ensure that this one gets a full range of riding conditions so the next problems surface while it's under warranty - not that that piece of paper has proven very effective so far.

The chief mechanic says the factory isn't telling them anything about the problems the 110s are having; he found out about them on this website. 

I badgered my neighbor for years to get off his Kawasaki and buy a Harley, now I'm feeling guilty for it.  He has a dealer-built 110 and hasn't had any of the problems so far; it's sad when a guy in a shop builds a better motor than the company can.  At least he kept the Kaw - I wonder if he'll let me borrow it?
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: How to Win Friends and Influence People: Part 2
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 10:32:43 AM »

Got it fixed - put the Supertrapp SE slip-ons back on (had the stock mufflers on during the dealer visit), and make sure I'm on the throttle before it gets to 2000 rpm.  Now I can't hear the valve stems mushrooming.   8)
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 25 queries.