Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Tornado in TwoLaneRiders back yard....  (Read 2281 times)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Tornado in TwoLaneRiders back yard....
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2008, 10:24:09 PM »

A very close friend of mine is the former owner of Bryan's Harley Davidson in Moore, Oklahoma.  He told me once that over the years tornado's did some type of damage to his dealership 19 times.  One of their popular T shirt logo's featured a tornado!

I used to spend quite a bit of time in Springfield, Missouri - a supplier's facility was located there.  Tornado's scared the be-jesus out of me more then a couple times while in Springfield.

I guess those of you who are residents in the tornado alley area get used to the threat just like those who live near the Gulf of Mexico get used to hurricane threats and those who live on the west coast get used to earthquake threats. 

A few years back I was with my brother-in-law (who lives in San Jose) attending a Giants World Series game in San Francisco when an earthquake hit and leveled an elevated freeway we had just traveled across.  That sucked...never care to experience another earthquake!

Anyway, just a bit of rambling...

I am glad that EVERYONE who lived in the area hit by tornado's the other night stayed healthy!
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2008, 12:08:43 AM »

I was a kid in SoCal so grew up with the earthquakes.  Then came back here and discovered thunderstorms.  It's screwy.  But I dig 'em. 

Will go storm chasing a few weekends every year during the high season.  Though the closest I've ever been was once when one came chasing me rather then the other way around. 

Got a very cool vantage point of a tornado once in 1981.  This wasn't particularly dangerous though it sure sounds that way.

Was out at the local airport and had just finished putting the cylinders back on 150 Cessna.  Was working on it for flight time.  Hellish storm came through while holed up in the hangar.

Not always, but not also not uncommonly a tornado will drop from the rear of a storm cell.  So if there's no other cell behind it you've got clear air behind the wall.  A buddy and I walk out of the hangar after the rain has stopped and sure as hell about five miles off the field we see an F2 sized funnel just dropping down.

I look at him and he looks at me.  There's clear air over the field and for as far behind the storm as the eye can see.  So off we go.

The funnel was on the ground long enough we had time to climb up to see what I assume was it's top.  We were still in clear air but it got a bit rough up closer.  In the middle of the tornado it was full of water and debris and muck.  Looked like some gothic picture of a churning dark hell.  But it was very cool.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2008, 12:10:20 AM »

I was concerned for Hobo and Scotterhair last night as the storms moved east towards them, but I have not heard anything about damages in the Springfield area.

Fortunately it was supposed to have petered out before it got that far.  I got a chain saw.  Need a hand with the tree?

07 CVO

• Elite CVO Member
  • SCREAMIN EAGLE!! Top of the Food chain!

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2008, 12:47:17 AM »

Good to hear no one was hurt!!

Mark
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Black and Orange
SE A/C, SERT, Samson Caliber True Duels
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR (SOLD)
2008 VW R32 #3719/5000 United Grey
2008 VW GTI

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Kermit
    • CVO2: 2015 Victory Ness Magnum #31 of 299
    • CVO3: 2013 Can-Am Spyder RTS
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2008, 10:11:15 AM »

Fortunately it was supposed to have petered out before it got that far.  I got a chain saw.  Need a hand with the tree?

Thanks for the offer Don, but I need to let my Dad handle the clean up.  I think he is a bit of a frustrated logger, he'd be very disappointed if it were already cut up when he get here next weekend.

More thunderstorms coming tomorrow, sounds like a good day to work on the bikes...(not so subtle hint) :bananarock:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2008, 12:10:40 PM »

Thanks for the offer Don, but I need to let my Dad handle the clean up.  I think he is a bit of a frustrated logger, he'd be very disappointed if it were already cut up when he get here next weekend.

More thunderstorms coming tomorrow, sounds like a good day to work on the bikes...(not so subtle hint) :bananarock:

If I can get the transmission back together tonight or during the day tomorrow that sounds like an excellent idea.  What time you leave work?  I'll tell the red bike to hurry it's ass up!

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2008, 12:15:47 PM »

If I can get the transmission back together tonight or during the day tomorrow that sounds like an excellent idea.  What time you leave work?  I'll tell the red bike to hurry it's ass up!

You tell me a good time.  I'm considering taking tomorrow off (I've worked 1 day in a row this week).  I can come over and help you finish up the red bike if you want, before we put Raquel on the lift.

If you don't mind the company, I thought about rolling by at lunch today also to see how things were going on the rebuild.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2008, 12:18:52 PM »

We get blackouts in the northeast  :nixweiss:
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2008, 12:22:06 PM »

You tell me a good time.  I'm considering taking tomorrow off (I've worked 1 day in a row this week).  I can come over and help you finish up the red bike if you want, before we put Raquel on the lift.

If you don't mind the company, I thought about rolling by at lunch today also to see how things were going on the rebuild.

Lunch is off today.  Got a better offer.  Leaving here in about 25 minutes to go pick up Parker after pre-school.

Got a bit to do off-site tomorrow.  Should be back here by 11:00-11:30.  Absolutely come on over.  We'll drink, we'll wrench, we'll sing manly songs of pillage and plunder!

Ok, well, we'll drink and we'll wrench....  :drink:

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2008, 12:42:21 PM »

Lunch is off today.  Got a better offer.  Leaving here in about 25 minutes to go pick up Parker after pre-school.

Got a bit to do off-site tomorrow.  Should be back here by 11:00-11:30.  Absolutely come on over.  We'll drink, we'll wrench, we'll sing manly songs of pillage and plunder!

Ok, well, we'll drink and we'll wrench....  :drink:

Sounds good, now all we need are Winches to hold the wrenches whilest we drink and not sing.  :bananarock:

Hobo

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2008, 02:47:11 PM »

Sounds good, now all we need are Winches to hold the wrenches whilest we drink and not sing.  :bananarock:

You guys kill me!    ;D

As far as the storm goes, all we had in this area was at worst 40-50 mph winds for a short time and some pretty heavy rain, then it cleared off and was a nice night. I feel sorry for the storm victims over in 2Ln and Travis' area, there were a lot of homes that were totally destroyed.

Hobo
2001 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide (FLTRSEI2)
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 25 queries.