Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: engine break in - which oil to use?  (Read 3654 times)

mb1953

engine break in - which oil to use?
« on: January 25, 2009, 09:54:44 PM »

I know the CVO bikes are shipped with synthetic oil from the factory. Isn't this contrary to proper break in of the engine. I use redline synthetic and it says on the container not to used for break in. Should I have the dealer drain the engine and put in regular oil for the first at least 1000 miles? I am getting a new Ultra CVO next month. You guys have been very helpful already.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
Re: engine break in - which oil to use?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 10:02:39 PM »

I know the CVO bikes are shipped with synthetic oil from the factory. Isn't this contrary to proper break in of the engine. I use redline synthetic and it says on the container not to used for break in. Should I have the dealer drain the engine and put in regular oil for the first at least 1000 miles? I am getting a new Ultra CVO next month. You guys have been very helpful already.

there are two schools of thought on that.  But rest assured, you're okay breaking the engine in with synthetic.  Mercedes, BMW, Lamborghini, just to mention a few, all ship their cars from the factory with synthetic oil.  Even the Corvette is shipped with synthetic oil.  All CVOs come with Syn3 in them.  I would recommend that you change to a different synthetic at your 1k service though.  It's pretty much a toss-up between AmsOil and Mobil 1 V-Twin, as to which one to switch to. (I use Mobil 1 V-Twin)

:devil:
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 10:07:20 PM by RedDevil »

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 10:16:03 PM »

Broke in 2 cvo bikes with Syn 3 with no problems. 

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 10:55:36 PM »

I've broke in 5 Harley's with the good 'ole black gold and never had any problems, not to mention the miles and miles I've logged. I'm sure saving a ton of money over that synthetic stuff. Most people i talk to using synthetics still change their oil every 3K miles, In my mind, thats just throwing money away. Change black gold every 2.5-3k and your motor will last forever and just as long as the synthetic users.   :2vrolijk_21:

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 11:06:12 PM »

I've broke in 5 Harley's with the good 'ole black gold and never had any problems, not to mention the miles and miles I've logged. I'm sure saving a ton of money over that synthetic stuff. Most people i talk to using synthetics still change their oil every 3K miles, In my mind, thats just throwing money away. Change black gold every 2.5-3k and your motor will last forever and just as long as the synthetic users.   :2vrolijk_21:

change mine every 5K with synthetic...been doing this since I started using synthetics in 2002.  Never have had a problem.

2012 FLHXSE3

REGGAB

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 12:41:06 AM »

Breaking-in my new 117cid with AMSOIL MCV 20W50.  Changed oil and filter at 200 miles.  Just rolled over 750.  Will change again after tuning at 1000 miles.  Breaking-in my new Baker OD6 with Bel-Ray 85W140 Hypoid Gear Oil.  Will change after tuning at 1000 miles.  Breaking-in my new primary components with Bel-Ray 85W Transmission Oil.  Will change after tuning at 1000 miles.

SERK3

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 10:05:23 AM »

I broke my 07 in on the HD SYN3 oil, at the 1ST service went to dino for the next 2, then back to SYN3, now running Mobil 1 in all three holes, change it myself every 4-5,000 miles, not used any oil so far on the Mobil 1. You can get 10 replys on this subject and every one of them will be different, But thats what makes this website so GREAT, You may not agree but it can and will give you some good ideas  :bananarock: :bananarock:
07 SCREAMIN EAGLE ROAD KING, RAZOR RED WITH GOLD FLAMES
V&H DUALS WITH HI-OUTPUT SLIP-ONS, ZIPPERS THUNDER MAX w/AUTOTUNE, NESS BIG SUCKER, LED TURN AND BRAKE LIGHTS. FARING, HARD BAGS & KING TOUR PAK.
LIVE EASY, RIDE HARD

mb1953

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 10:17:46 AM »

Thanks for all the input. I guess this can go either way. I know that the engine can be preserved with regular oil changes with either oil. In years past I was told that synthetic oil couldn't be used because the parts couldn't "wear in" because there was no wear. Since the bike comes with the syn3 I'll leave it in for 500 miles.
Mike

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 12:17:32 AM »

Typically, new cylinders on an air cooled engine would be " broke in " using a mineral or petroleum based engine oil for approx. 25 hours of operation or until the operator notices a measurable decrease in oil consumption, then the switch to a simi or full synthetic oil would be recommended.  But then, everyone has an opinion on this subject.
Jesus is Lord

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 11:44:10 AM »

Syn 3 is a blend and mostly dino oil anyway, as I'm told. So it works well for breakin.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 06:50:39 PM »

Syn 3 is a blend and mostly dino oil anyway, as I'm told. So it works well for breakin.

Syn3 is actually a full synthetic.  Everything you wanted to know about it can be found here:  SYN3 FAQ

2012 FLHXSE3

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 07:19:56 PM »

Panty tea from Marissa Miller and it will stay strong forevah!

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 08:29:36 PM »

My bad. Thanks for the info
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

Page created in 0.264 seconds with 25 queries.