Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How can I add turn signals to Ultra tourpak run/brake lights?  (Read 5957 times)

jimsmith94

In the "Blue tooth" thread, FR8TRN said:
It's simple once you have the Run/Brake/Turn Module (I have HD's not Kury), I disable the Run portion cause there just isn't enough difference for me between run/brake.  I have mine wired up to the tourpak lights along with the regular turn signals so they are turn/brake (already have run on the tourpak).
I'd like to wire my Ultra like this too, especially if it can be done without buying any more modules. I do already have the HD Run/Brake/Turn Module installed.

Can someone provide the details, or post a link?

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
Re: How can I add turn signals to Ultra tourpak run/brake lights?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 12:11:52 PM »

Converting a Brake/Run/Turn Module to a Brake/Turn Module.

On the Female connector (the small one) cut the blue wire coming off #7 on the connector.  On the module side of the blue wire tape or put heat shrink on to protect it.  From the connector side of the blue wire you will put on a jumper that is long enough to up to the module and back down the other set of wires to a cut you will be making on the blue wire on that side (below).

On the Male Connector (the large one) cut the blue wire coming from #7 on the connector and on the connector side of the wire connect it to the jumper coming from the Female connector (above).  This allows the running lights to continue working as normal.  Then take the blue wire coming from the module and piggyback it on the Red/Yellow wire coming off the Male Connector #6.

For those with Tourpak Lights

If you'd like to make your tourpak lights operate as turn signals and brake lights.  Piggyback a jumper wire onto each the Violet wire and the Brown wire on the Male Connector.  Run these up into the tourpak and cut the Orange wire going to the tourpak lights 3-4 inches from the light.  Splice one of the jumper wires to the light side of the Orange wire and your done.  I don't recall which is left and which is right so you'll need to figure that out.

I've run mine like this for over 20K miles now with no issues on either modification.

jimsmith94

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 01:02:20 PM »

Thanks FR8TRN!  :2vrolijk_21: For now, I'll leave the running lights active, but I will definitely be converting my tourpak lights. BTW, from previous research I found that violet is for the left side turn signal and brown is for the right side.

Many years ago on another bike, I modified the side marker lights so they would blink opposite of the turn signals, so I will try that at the same time. Hopefully it will work with the HD module. For this mod, you just cut the ground wire from each side marker light and splice it into the positive turn signal wire (in this case, the new violet or brown wire that was just run). This will use the turn signal wire as a floating ground, so that when the turn signal is on, the side light is off, and vice verse.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 06:25:49 AM »

In the "Blue tooth" thread, FR8TRN said:I'd like to wire my Ultra like this too, especially if it can be done without buying any more modules. I do already have the HD Run/Brake/Turn Module installed.

Can someone provide the details, or post a link?

I'm not sure what year yours is, but on my 09, I got a kit from Ride Time Technology to make my tourpack lamps into LEDs and add the turn signal function.  At the same time, I added their kit to make the side lamps on the tourpack into turn signals also.  Here's a video of the end result.  The kits were not expensive.

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 07:37:39 AM »

I'm not sure what year yours is, but on my 09, I got a kit from Ride Time Technology to make my tourpack lamps into LEDs and add the turn signal function.  At the same time, I added their kit to make the side lamps on the tourpack into turn signals also.  Here's a video of the end result.  The kits were not expensive.

I likes that!

Not much?

How much time is involved in this "Upgrade" Man I really like that.
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 07:40:29 AM »

I wouldn't recommend leaving the running lights active, first the tourpak already has running lights so you'll be making them brighter, second the difference between running and brake/turn is very close with the module, almost unnoticeable in the right light (as in daylight, not right turn signal light).

For the side markers, I've considered this, but that turns them off when the brakes are on also, not sure that is something I want to do.  But I'm still undecided, if I did I would use relays and set it up so the brake lights line that I've disconnected in the tourpak is used on the other side of the relay to keep those lights on when the relay activates.  So it would work like this.......

Right/Left turn signal.........relay goes from NC (normal closed) to AO (active open) turning sidemarker lights off when turn signal is on, and sidemarker lights on when turn signal is off, AO to NC (just as you describe)

Brake......relay goes from NC to AO but now there is power on the AO input also (from the brake light circuit in the tourpak) and sidemarker lights stay lit.

Just came up with this while replying, now that I look at it, I'm decided, I'm going to do this setup.......thanks for making me work thru it.....LOL

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 07:50:29 AM »

I tested some of that stuff for RTT, it does work good, but really adds alot of expense to the project for the same end result.  Already having the run/brake/turn module the only thing left to buy is the relays (if you do the sidemarkers) and I picked up a dozen of those for $15 on ebay a month or so ago to do some stuff on my truck.  And a little time to run wires.  I told him I was about to do my own when I offered to test his, switching from his setup to my setup made no difference in operation.  None of that was the LED stuff though......I'd of kept it in. ;)

Trey767

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 07:55:49 AM »

I just used 69461-06A Auxiliary Running Light / Brake Light / Turn Signal Conversion Kit, I got the idea from the other site. I just can't fine that post right now, I used the kit and piggy tail two wires from the purple and brown wires. Purple (left) Brown (right) double check that. Cut the orange/white on both bulbs terminals. solder and heat shrink to the terminal. That is the cliff note version, I'll look for that post. I didn't do the side lights I'm going to try that today. I have a 09 ultra, I saw ride time's kit that's nice too. I read the instructions and I just didn't feel like doing the removing the lens and all that alterations. And for $40.00 this mod. fit the budget

Trey

For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible.

Hogtunes Front/Rear speakers
Fullsac 2.5 cores
J&M 250 Amp
Hawg Wired 6.5 lowers
Ride Time LED lights
Dakota digital dash gauges
Saddlebag extensions
Clearview windshield/vent
BigSky oil cooler fan
HD rear Envelope LED's
Zumo 665

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 11:21:26 AM »

I likes that!

Not much?

How much time is involved in this "Upgrade" Man I really like that.

The kit was $119.95 and another $27.95 for the side lights.  I had the dealer do mine, so I had someone to hold accountable in case there was any damage done in removing the rear lenses.  I think they charged me for an hour to do it, so it probably didn't take that long.  Obviously, there are some less expensive alternatives that have been pointed out here.  I just liked the addition of LED's and the full function in the end.  I also like the fact that the rear and side turn signals alternate with they are on and off.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 11:22:32 AM »

I forgot to give you the link to the website.  http://ridetimetechnology.com/index.htm

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 11:34:22 AM »

I forgot to give you the link to the website.  http://ridetimetechnology.com/index.htm

Nice info. thanks for posting  :2vrolijk_21:

Marty
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 25 queries.