Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: BP Oil Leak  (Read 977 times)

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
BP Oil Leak
« on: June 09, 2010, 10:30:27 PM »

Just saw this and wanted to post this sign.
Very appropriate.

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: BP Oil Leak
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 10:35:06 PM »

Just saw this and wanted to post this sign.
Very appropriate.

SBB

The irony....

I cannot believe how ill-prepared the industry was for an accident such as this...  And I cannot believe the regulatory bodies allowed the industry to be so ill-prepared.
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 12:13:56 AM »

The irony....

I cannot believe how ill-prepared the industry was for an accident such as this...  And I cannot believe the regulatory bodies allowed the industry to be so ill-prepared.
X2

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 09:14:58 AM »

The irony....

Actually, I can believe how ill-prepared BP (and most likely the rest of the industry) was and is to prevent or react to a major malfunction.  Their disaster plans were obviously made up sitting in an isolated cubicle somewhere, and haven't been updated for decades.  I read an article today that indicated the plans they filed for the well in question, only a year ago, listed response and resource people who have been dead for years, nonexistent resources, etc.  It also stated that they could fully contain a spill at least ten times the size of the current fiasco without affecting the shoreline or much else besides a short term water quality issue.  Talk about BS.

As for the regulatory folks, I can definitely believe that.  Maybe folks don't want to hear it, but a large part of our regulatory system has been corrupted by the movement of people between government and corporations, and the huge amounts of money involved just makes it that much harder to effectively regulate anything.  Why should the oil and gas regulators be any different than the folks at the SEC or other financial regulators?  The system is broken, it has been broken for quite some time, and I don't see anything that indicates our leaders have a plan to fix it.  Congressmen aren't going to limit their future "earnings" by putting a ban on government folks moving over to the corporate side, for instance.

Enjoy the environment we have right now, because if things continue on the present course the corporations will destroy much of it in the name of the almighty dollar, abetted by the crooks in government.  I see evidence of this locally, where the state environmental agency rubber stamps air and water pollution permits for BP that allow increases in emissions into our air and into Lake Michigan, in direct conflict with the Federal guidelines that call for ongoing reductions.  The same state government also changed property tax laws to massively benefit BP (and the local steel companies) to the detriment of the homeowner's in the region who have to pick up the slack.  Like someone once said, we have the best government that money can buy these days.  Too bad the little guys on the gulf, and all the wildlife, don't have as much money as the corporations.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 09:23:44 AM »

Actually, I can believe how ill-prepared BP (and most likely the rest of the industry) was and is to prevent or react to a major malfunction.  Their disaster plans were obviously made up sitting in an isolated cubicle somewhere, and haven't been updated for decades.  I read an article today that indicated the plans they filed for the well in question, only a year ago, listed response and resource people who have been dead for years, nonexistent resources, etc.  It also stated that they could fully contain a spill at least ten times the size of the current fiasco without affecting the shoreline or much else besides a short term water quality issue.  Talk about BS.

As for the regulatory folks, I can definitely believe that.  Maybe folks don't want to hear it, but a large part of our regulatory system has been corrupted by the movement of people between government and corporations, and the huge amounts of money involved just makes it that much harder to effectively regulate anything.  Why should the oil and gas regulators be any different than the folks at the SEC or other financial regulators?  The system is broken, it has been broken for quite some time, and I don't see anything that indicates our leaders have a plan to fix it.  Congressmen aren't going to limit their future "earnings" by putting a ban on government folks moving over to the corporate side, for instance.

Enjoy the environment we have right now, because if things continue on the present course the corporations will destroy much of it in the name of the almighty dollar, abetted by the crooks in government.  I see evidence of this locally, where the state environmental agency rubber stamps air and water pollution permits for BP that allow increases in emissions into our air and into Lake Michigan, in direct conflict with the Federal guidelines that call for ongoing reductions.  The same state government also changed property tax laws to massively benefit BP (and the local steel companies) to the detriment of the homeowner's in the region who have to pick up the slack.  Like someone once said, we have the best government that money can buy these days.  Too bad the little guys on the gulf, and all the wildlife, don't have as much money as the corporations.

Jerry

Actually Jerry, I can believe it too...  I just don't want to believe it...   :(
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 04:53:27 PM »

Actually Jerry, I can believe it too...  I just don't want to believe it...   :(
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Fed68

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 05:02:05 PM »

My wife and I were talking about this after watching a news report on it last night.  One of the issues that I have is the comments that they have when our gas prices go up and they say it's a supply and demand thing.  Hurrican Katrina...oh no...we better raise prices.  BS!!  How millions of gallons is pumping into the ocean right now and in my area we really have not seen a big price jump yet.  Seems like when Katrina hit it was pretty immediate.  All politics, pocket lining, and smoke and mirrors in my opinion.

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 25 queries.