Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 120R dyno run from v-tune data collection only  (Read 6287 times)

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
120R dyno run from v-tune data collection only
« on: April 17, 2011, 08:38:18 PM »

For those of you who wonder how a dyno tune chart looks like by only v-tuning it yourself using TTS, here is mine below. I put a 120R engine in my 2011 SESG, got a base calibration map from Steve Cole at TTS (which map was not made for the 120 engine since it isn't done yet) and did about 5 v-tune datamaster runs, and tinkered with some of the tables to get good throttle response. The motor seems to run good across all manifold and rpm settings. I took it to a dyno shop and did no tuning, only two power runs. Considering everything, the curves are reasonably smooth, except for where I'm a little lean between 3700 & 4300 rpm. If I made that area a bit richer I'd think I could smooth out the HP & TQ lines. I see I'm running rich at 2,200 rpm.

The reason I did not tune it is because in about a week from now I'm putting in a Woods TW-408-6 cam that I'm getting from Scott at Hillside. However, before I replace the stock SE 266E cam, I want to have something to compare the Woods cam with. With this stock cam & chart, the HP climbs all the way to my rev limit of 5700, and I'm getting 1 HP for every cubic inch, which isn't bad compared to a 110 stock engine. The torque curve looks pretty good from 3500 up, but I'd like to pick up more torque sooner, so I'm hoping the Woods cam does the job. When I do the switch, I'll post a comparison chart between the two cams on one chart, all else remaining the same with the build.

I plan on taking my air filter off too and doing some runs, I'm wondering if I have a weak link there with my Roland Sands Turbine air cleaner. I'm using D&D BossZilla pipes, SE 58mm EFI throttle body, SE 5.3 g/s injectors.

strokerjlk

• Full CVO Member
Re: 120R dyno run from v-tune data collection only
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 11:46:05 AM »

Looks like a typical v tune graph. There is a lot left in there. :2vrolijk_21:

If you point your oxygen-acetylene cutting torch
at a temperature sensor and adjust it for the highest temp you have found stoichiometric
Ron Dickey

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 01:42:55 PM »

Looks like a typical v tune graph. There is a lot left in there. :2vrolijk_21:

I agree. But you also have to keep in mind this chart is at WOT. When I was v-tuning myself, I can't hit the WOT cells, so the TTS software program that intergrates the data you collected with the Mastertune file you are running can extend the cells from the last good data in a row so it's not going to be right on, but estimated. But I suspect 90% of the riding range that most people ride in, you're going to get good data and be tuned probably close to a dyno tuned bike. V-tuning at least allows you to ride your motorcycle until you get a professional dyno tune. Since I have a high performance motor and I'm putting in high performance cams, I'm definitely going to dyno tune it to get max WOT performance, or I might consider the Rev Perf. EMS. Still kicking that around.

strokerjlk

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 02:36:23 PM »

Yes I understand the estimated. Factor. I have dyno tuned these 120's after a v tune, and am in the process of tuning one now that I took a pc 5 off of.
Both were weak and had drive ability issues.
glad to hear your going to get it tuned. Should pick up 10/15 or 15/20:
The one I am working on now is at    125/135 sae 128/138 std.and I  believe there is a little more.
it's. A b motor. Stock crate motor se 58 mm bassinni 2-1 

at a temperature sensor and adjust it for the highest temp you have found stoichiometric
Ron Dickey

scj

• CVO1: '11 FLHXSE2
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 06:19:10 PM »

Harley has several base maps out for the SEPST that you could copy the tables onto a TTS map to get you close.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 09:07:27 PM »

Uh Wow! I think I'm a little jealous!

I definitely need to get my wife to read your post.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

strokerjlk

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 08:42:53 AM »

Harley has several base maps out for the SEPST that you could copy the tables onto a TTS map to get you close.
Actually I have done that,just to see how it would respond.
it ran horrible. The sepst maps are very lean,but a good place to start.
there is no way around it: you want a good running street friendly bike, with everything possible  at wot
you need a proper tune.

Ron Dickey

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 10:49:46 AM »

I've also tried to copy & paste all VE tables from a .mt7 to a .mt8 file of the same base calibration number and the bike ran poorly. So from my experience it doesn't work well from TTS to TTS, let alone apparantly from SEPST to TTS.

scj

• CVO1: '11 FLHXSE2
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 09:07:53 AM »

It's just numbers you are transferring. I copy and paste one from another all the time.

You have to be careful since some programs use different VE table charts. As long as the cell is the same as from the other, it's just the number you use inside it.

There are base maps on TTS and SEPST that are really close but more times than not, the TTS will be just enough different where it performs a little better than the SEPST.

The Harley programmer uses a lot better graph that you can actually view and see the change as you change VE cells, spark cells, etc. TTS doesn't break this out as well.

My dealer was supposed to throw in a TTS with my bike purchase but ended up giving me a SEPST and new CD instead. The map in my bike is all TTS cells transferred over to SEPST. I use TTS's stuff in every category, not just VE tables. My bike runs prefect!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 09:11:02 AM by scj »

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 10:12:28 AM »

While you are at it do a datalog and make sure to do some hard roll-ons and see if you are getting Delphi ion sense knock retard.

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 02:20:35 PM »

Just V-Tune is only going to get you so far.  You've really got to get the Timing Tables setup now with some long rides at temp and alot of datalogging, see where your pinging (if at all) and adjust timing til you don'tdo, then back it off a few degrees.  Then go back and run the V-Tuning again and another check of the timing tables if V-Tune adjusts.  It's a long process without a Dyno, but just running V-Tune to compare, I think your leaving alot of power untapped, timing can make huge gains your not seeing.  Changing cams your really going to switch up the timing, could be better or worse.  Good luck with your build !!

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 05:44:54 PM »

Also keep in mind i'm at nearly 5000 feet above sea level. I can only get 80 manifold pressure up here.

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 08:16:33 PM »

The Harley programmer uses a lot better graph that you can actually view and see the change as you change VE cells, spark cells, etc. TTS doesn't break this out as well.

Not sure why you think TTS does not do this as it does. Just open the table you want to change, then click on the "Show Graph" button. You can move the graph window anywhere you like on the screen and change its size if you like.  As you make changes to the table they show real time on the graph. Also with TTS you can rotate the 3d graphs and view from all angle if your looking for something. These features have been there since day one in the product.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2011, 04:11:03 PM »

SCJ , the SESP has a viewable graph, really?? under auto tune you are working blind. where as the tts is showing live data in v tune mode.    Maybe I am not understanding your statement??
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 21 queries.