Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 1983 Silverwing Advice?  (Read 1674 times)

PAPA T

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FXDSE2
    • CVO2: Not CVO 99FXSTS
    • CVO3: NOT CVO 83 Ironhead & 98 Sportys
1983 Silverwing Advice?
« on: May 24, 2011, 08:24:11 PM »

Found a 1983 Silverwing from a family friend 3,000 miles but hasn't been started in 15 yrs.

What should I look for or be wary of?   Its only $700 but I dont want to spend $5,000 to get it running.

Any advice appreciated.

Tim
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 07:01:16 AM by PAPA T »
It'll feel better when it quits hurting!!!

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
Re: 1983 Silverwing Advise?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 09:15:26 PM »

Just to scratch the surface...was it put away properly? Gas drained? The first thing would be drain and refill with fresh fuel. Then there is a good chance that the hoses would be dry rotted. Poosilby leaks at the carb from dry gaskets and seals. Not to mention the tires are probably dry rotted as well. And you would need to change all the fluids.  I have seen vehicles that have not run in a long time start right up after good fuel is added, but without going throught the entire thing I would be nervous about going anywhere with it.

If you really want it, it might make a nice little project...Good Luck.....

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 09:17:48 PM »

Carbs will need rebuilt, if it has a fuel pump that too can be bad as well as tires, electrical items that mice got to as well.  Disc brake issues and case leaks, mufflers rotted inside will burn out, the list goes on.

OR if you are lucky and it was run dry of fuel, it may run after a new battery, tires will be dry rotted and minor electrical.  Bought a 1990 GL1500 with a two person side car with 20k on it put about a K in it and sold it for 3 times what I gave for it, sometimes you luck out.  (Less than 3 years ago)

Just my take, but for the money if it looks good and is not locked up I would buy it, don't expect to make much on it, not the most desirable bike unless you plan on making it into a cafe racer then they are pretty cool.

Keep us posted.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 07:13:04 PM by Chains »
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 09:20:50 PM »

Carbs will need rebuilt, if it has a fuel pump that too can be bad as well as tires, electrical items that mice got to as well.  Disc brake issues and case leaks, mufflers rotted inside will burn out, the list goes on.

OR if you are lucky and it was run dry of fuel, it may run after a new battery, tires will be dry rotted and minor electrical.  Bought a 1990 GL1500 with a two person side car with 20k on it put about a K in it and sold it for 3 times what I gave for it, sometimes you luck out.

Just my take, but for the money if it looks good and is not locked up I would by it, don't expect to make much on it, not the most desirable bike unless you plan on making it into a cafe racer then they are pretty cool.

Keep us posted.

Totally forgot about the battery.....yep..you need one of them also

robertg

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 09:22:11 PM »

The carbs will be all gummed up and the brake fluid will need to be changed. Check the tank for rust also. Parts should be pretty easy to find, they made that engine from 78-82 in a 500, and 83 was a 650 from what I remember. Most Honda products from that area were well made.

It's only worth $700.00 if it is looks good. Cosmetic parts may be difficult to find and expensive.

PAPA T

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FXDSE2
    • CVO2: Not CVO 99FXSTS
    • CVO3: NOT CVO 83 Ironhead & 98 Sportys
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 11:54:45 PM »

It has been garage stored and was just parked after a ride and never ridden again. It is in great cosmetic shape not a single mar in the paint other than normal use scratches which will probably buff out. Seat is in remarkable condition and soft as butter.

Is there a difference between 500 and 500I ?   He said he will find original paperwork he cant remember which it was (He's 76)
It'll feel better when it quits hurting!!!

Gank

• Senior CVO Member
  • Im from HQ, Im here to help :D

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 12:26:22 AM »

I had one of those, but the stripped down version in 500... excellent bike.  Y type motor, water cooled and shaft drive.  they made a turbo that was really fast.  I understand the Silver Wing was a 650.  Great little bike, if it looks good, the other stuff is easy to fix up.. for 700 it would be sold.  Great bike for a woman.. bags and low seat... if I recall with the tour pack on it was a single seater
To Libs and NDP
"If we are not willing to commit our military when asked by the United Nations, for a NATO mission, in a country whose elected government wants us and whose citizens need us, then when would Canada be prepared to do so?"

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: 1983 Silverwing Advice?
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 07:35:32 AM »

Before I'd buy it I'd pull the plugs, squirt some magic elixor (Marvel's, or other lube) into the cylinders, come back the next day, put it top gear and see if the engine will move when you rock the bike forward and backward.  It probably will, but better to find out if the rings are rung to the walls or the bearings are seized now than later.  Interesting bike.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 08:46:10 AM »

It has been garage stored and was just parked after a ride and never ridden again. It is in great cosmetic shape not a single mar in the paint other than normal use scratches which will probably buff out. Seat is in remarkable condition and soft as butter.

Is there a difference between 500 and 500I ?   He said he will find original paperwork he cant remember which it was (He's 76)

PAPA

With 700 invested add another 300 and for a grand you have a bike that will last forever.
Motorwise those bikes will last forever. They are still used everyday in third world countries.
Clean it up and ride it. It probably won't go 128 so you should be safe.

;)

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 08:50:01 AM »

Drain all the oils replace with kerosene, fill the cylinders with Marvel Mystery Oil and let all that sit for 24 hours. At the same time, spray about an 1/8 can of WD40 in the carbs, get a fresh new battery, check tires, brakes, and all safety features, fix as needed. After the 24hr soaking, replace all fluids, prime the carbs and spin the starter. If she runs   ;D check for leaks and odd noises. If all looks and sounds good take her for a real slow spring around the block to check the drive train in motion. Come back, check for more leaks and any odd noises. Address/fix anything leaking or not operating properly, hopefully you don have motor and tyranny issues.  That's a nice bike and should be fun  ;)
Good luck and enjoy your new toy  :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 08:52:05 AM by cvobiker »

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 10:55:09 AM »

I had the 500cc "Deluxe" version of that bike back in 1980 or so...rode it daily and all over North Georgia with camping gear strapped wherever I could strap it on.  Great bike...bulletproof.  For $700, it would be a fun project, and make a great commuter bike or shorter trip solo bike.  It's been a long time, but I remember the bike being very smooth (no vibration) and handling pretty well for it's time.  Easy to maintain as well.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• CVO1: Red FLSTFSE
    • CVO2: B&B FLHTCSE
    • royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 11:15:48 AM »

I had a CX500 turbo, pretty fast bike. They told me it would red line in the last gear and guess what....it did. Same engine as your looking at and with the turbo it would run with most liter bikes in that day. Ran the crud out of that bike with little maintenence, liquid cooled shaft drive and fuel injection on mine and just drove it to work every day with no problems. Good luck with your purchase.....Roy

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 01:43:25 PM »

Found a 1983 Silverwing from a family friend 3,000 miles but hasn't been started in 15 yrs.

What should I look for or be wary of?   Its only $700 but I dont want to spend $5,000 to get it running.

Any advice appreciated.

Tim
Grab it, one tough little machine

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 25 queries.