Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: K&N HD 0910  (Read 3109 times)

Outlaw 100

K&N HD 0910
« on: December 23, 2011, 02:13:45 PM »

Has anyone fitted a K&N HD 0910 filter to their SESG and has it made a difference to breathing?  I have Power Duals, H/O slip ons and a SERT on my machine (Dyno'd), but felt the breathing was not great.  Will I need to re-tune after fitting the K&N.  Thanks   :coolblue:
'Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence - if you are not living on the edge you are taking up too much space'

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: K&N HD 0910
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 03:33:23 PM »

Has anyone fitted a K&N HD 0910 filter to their SESG and has it made a difference to breathing?  I have Power Duals, H/O slip ons and a SERT on my machine (Dyno'd), but felt the breathing was not great.  Will I need to re-tune after fitting the K&N.  Thanks   :coolblue:

Who "felt" the breathing wasn't great, you or the dyno operator?  Did the dyno operator try it without the element installed to see if it was restricting output?  Was he trying to sell you a different air cleaner perhaps?

I happen to like and recommend K&N filters, but I seriously doubt you would see a significant difference in flow over the already high flow filter that comes stock.  And I don't think I'd pay much attention to testimonials from folks who say otherwise unless they have real evidence to support the claim, like certified flow test results.  "Feel" is rather nebulous at best.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Outlaw 100

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 02:30:25 PM »

Jerry, thanks for the info.  Has anyone fitted a K&N HD 0910 to the SESG2, and has it made any difference, or is the stock breather pretty much the same? :confused5:
'Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence - if you are not living on the edge you are taking up too much space'

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 02:58:40 PM »

Jerry, thanks for the info.  Has anyone fitted a K&N HD 0910 to the SESG2, and has it made any difference, or is the stock breather pretty much the same? :confused5:

The stock filter is a high flow filter.  Mine will likely get replaced by a K&N at some point in time, but I will follow the owners manual instructions for cleaning the stock one in the meantime, and will use it until it shows visible signs of deterioration.  IMO, there would be little, if any, difference in performance between the two filters.  The only way to know for sure is to do back to back Dyno runs with the same bike, under exactly the same conditions (air temp, humidity, etc).  If the bike was tuned with the stock filter and then fitted with a K&N, there would be no need to tune again.

In the bad old days, before HD started putting the high flow air filters on the CVO bikes, there was definitely a need to change out the entire air box, backplate, and filter...the stock assembly was very restrictive.  That is still true for the "regular" HD bikes.  So on those bikes, you could go with the SE Air Cleaner "kit", Zippers, Arlen Ness, Doherty, etc.  Or you could install the Ventilator A/C like you already have on your bike...I personally like the looks of the Ventilator, but to each his/her own.

Keep in mind that even a K&N filter only flows maximum air when it is freshly washed and oiled...it's the nature of the material used.  A fiberglass filter will actually flow more for a longer period of time.  However, the K&N gauze type filter will hold up longer over time and repeated cleanings.  I have no data to support this, but my guess is that the stock filter will hold up through a few service intervals just fine, if cleaned properly.  But if you've got $60 that's burning a hole in your pocket, then the K&N would be a good long term filter to purchase.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 03:13:21 PM »

I replaced my stock element with the K&N simply because I think/thought it is better quality.  My '06 CVO Ultra had the moco's first version of a dry element and it was paper.  After only a few thousand miles it had gaping holes in it!  Only after springing for the K&N on my '11 (and I transferred it to my '12) did I learn that the current moco version is fiberglass and much better than what they offered in '06.  If I had it to do over I might have stayed with the stock one until it needed replacement and then gone to the K&N.  Not all that much difference in cost to replace the stock one or go to the K&N.  In any case I have always run K&N filters in my bikes and am well pleased with them.  :2vrolijk_21:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 25 queries.