Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rear Brakes  (Read 1161 times)

hotchow

Rear Brakes
« on: August 28, 2012, 04:04:21 PM »

Has anyone had too replace their rear brakes......if so what was your mileage?  Im having my rear tire replaced and have been adivse that I need to change my rear brakes because they are wornout and almost down to the metal.  I have an 08 Springer with only 12K miles...........just curious if this is normal wear or am i being SUCKERED.  Thanks!

Alesius

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE6
Re: Rear Brakes
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 04:41:56 PM »

Had to replace my rear brakes with 15000 km (~ 9350 miles). But I have the heavier FLHTCUSE6, I often ride with a passenger and we have many mountains here with steep, winding roads, so it's not that unusual (I think).   :nixweiss:
Front brake will be replaced with the next service at 24000km.

metalgrind

• METALGRIND
  • Full CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2 Inferno Orange,

• CVO1: 2008 FXSTSSE2, V&H Big Radius, SERT, HD Oil Cooler
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 05:00:55 PM »

Had to replace the front brakes on my 2008 fxstsse2 at 6700 miles, rear still has some life at 9000 miles. Also da to replace both tires at about 5,500 miles. I do tend to ride and brake hard!!!!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 05:37:50 PM »

Has anyone had too replace their rear brakes......if so what was your mileage?  Im having my rear tire replaced and have been adivse that I need to change my rear brakes because they are wornout and almost down to the metal.  I have an 08 Springer with only 12K miles...........just curious if this is normal wear or am i being SUCKERED.  Thanks!

It's real easy to inspect them yourself if you doubt the service department's word. 

If you ride the rear brake, or use it as your main stopping power, then it's real easy to wear the pads out in 12k miles.  Springer's are not known for great front brakes, so I can imagine you probably do rely on the rear more than someone who has a good dual disk setup on the front.

Take a small flashlight and inspect the pads yourself on a regular basis.  When the friction material gets to about 1/16" thick, replace the pads.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Angry Pirate

• Junior CVO Member
  • Bikes are meant to be ridden!

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 07:14:43 AM »

I am at about 19,000 and have new Lindal brake pads in the mail to replace the stock ones.  Break wear depends purely on riding style.  I use the gears and engine around corners and really only use the brakes when comming to a complete stop.  I also do allot of long distance rides i.e. Seattle to Sturgis and back. 

Angry Pirate
2009 FXSTSSE3
Python Staggered Dual (V&H Baffles)
Power Commander V W/Auto Tune
14" Fat Apes
Danny Gray Saddle

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 07:41:41 AM »

I got 20,000 on front and rear with plenty of room left.
Bill

bluegoose

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra - Riptide Blue
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 04:33:58 PM »

Replaced the rear brakes at 32,000 still on the original front brakes at 45,000 - will be replacing them shortly.

As stated earlier brake usage is dependent on riding style.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 03:39:25 AM »

hotchow, on the stock HD pads there is an indicator line for wear. When the line is just about gone is a good time to replace your pads. Also I noticed on my 95 Heritage that the rear pads don't wear out evenly. They are thicker on one edge than than the other. I wouldn't completely rely on the wear indicator line for this reason so a really good visual inspection is the way to go. I changed out the original front brakes on my 95 to Hawg Halters. Big difference compared to stock.   I haven't noticed any uneven wear on my 09.  I have almost 17K on it and the front and rear pads still have plenty of lining left. One thing I have noticed on almost every vehicle I have owned with disc brakes is that the inner pads seems to wear out faster than the outer, but I don't know why. CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 09:52:25 PM »

I have not had to replace the rear pads on my last 4 HD's. Traded them all around 30K and rear pads were all still acceptable. I replaced front pads on all of them with either Lyndall or DP at approx 2000 miles to stop brake dust problems and they also were still on the bikes when I sold them. Both brands are a impressive upgrade to HD pads in stopping effectiveness.

Swinger

• Nil carborundum illegitimi

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Black Ember & Rio Red Flame SERT, V&H, Power Duals & Monster Ovals
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 02:47:22 AM »

I'm changing rear and front @ 18K km (11k miles.) However I do ride a little fast now and again, also always with my girl!

Just fitting EBC double H sintered.

BTW, anyone know how to easily remove rear caiper without dropping the wheel?

Regs,

Stu
Live your life like it's the last day, but learn as if you live for eternity..

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 25 queries.