Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Help deciding on height of replacement screen.  (Read 2978 times)

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Help deciding on height of replacement screen.
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 11:56:27 PM »

6'2" 09 SG.... I have an 8" with recurve that works great for shorter rides, but I prefer the 9 1/2 recurve when on the road for long days and extended trips. 30 days to Alaska and back it rained all but about 3 of the days. The 9 1/2 was sweet in the rain and cold; good for myself and the wife...

jb

conmore

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 02:08:30 AM »

I think the stock shield is 6".  I have a 9" Windvest.  Works great for me. I'm 6ft 3. I have seem Long Range Shields too they look great  :2vrolijk_21:

Hi there

My shield is a fraction over 6 3/8" from the top of the faiting above the centre torx screw and the top of the screen. I've ended up ordering the 7" in dark tint from freedom which hopefully will be here before Christmas. I don't ride that much at night so the darker tint should be close to the tint in the original.

I'll definitely post my thoughts after I fit the screen and go for a ride. Hey and thanks to Ultrarider1 for posting pics with the shield installed!!!

Cheers
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 02:11:04 AM by conmore »

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 06:25:44 AM »

Good Choice you will like it !!!!!!!!!!
DND

dirtdobber

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2012, 03:22:04 PM »

I tried a 6 inch recurve. Worked for me but not th ewife. I'm 5'8"
So I decided to try a 8" CRS flat top recure.
I can't believe the difference. The flat top gives a lot more protection and I think it looks really cool.

Photo isn't very good. We had it custom etched. The price was really good and service was outstanding.

dd
2012 CVO street glide, 2010 Dyna wide glide SS 106

conmore

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2012, 06:24:21 PM »

Hi folks

Received my 7" Freedom shield a couple of days ago. So my thanks go to John and his excellent service.

Removed and replaced the shield as per the instruction sheet taking great care and took it for a short test ride today and it has made a big difference.

I do have a question: I noticed after my ride today in the sunlight the seal between the inside top of the front fairing and the front of the shield is sitting off just a fraction between the centre screw and the the two outer screws, on both sides. If I push gently on the chrome strip between the screws it "seals" properly. Torx screws are tightened to exactly the specs (25-30 in lb) in the manual with a torque wrench. Really just feels like there nipped up if that makes sense.

Anything I should do? Leave it? The screen will settle in? It is only about 2 paper thicknesses.

Cheers

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2012, 06:18:05 AM »

G'day Buddy,

I had the same thoughts so I got a couple of pads Part No: 6549. These are the standard pads (only a couple of $ ea) used in the 3 locations on the standard screen trim.. and put them in between the slots of the chrome screen trim (2 plcs), looks 100% better and the clamping force is even through out the trim length, also keeps the trim clear from touching the fairing.
As for torque, follow what the manual suggests. These bolts don't need a lot of clamping force, remember the fairing is plastic based and over torquing may split the fairing or pull the nut serts out (brass threaded inserts) as the holes are close to the edge.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 06:34:13 AM by Aussie »

conmore

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2012, 07:16:44 PM »

Hi Aussie

Great suggestion mate!!

Cheers
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 25 queries.