Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stock mufflers with duals  (Read 1219 times)

blacktop

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2013 - Anniversary #674
    • CVO3: 2021 CVO Limited Bronze
Stock mufflers with duals
« on: February 14, 2013, 10:53:56 AM »

Anyone just change the header pipe to true duals/power duals and keeping the stock exhaust? My goal is to get rid of the cat and not increase the sound level from stock and was hoping this would work.

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Stock mufflers with duals
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 12:29:18 PM »

I watched a mech run a core drill through a cat started the engine before the drill went through to keep the plug inside the drill, volume tripled once the plug was removed even with OEM mufflers your exhaust will be noticeably louder with the cat even partially removed. He realizes they are better methods of removing cats but he said the owner never gets much over 4,500 rpms ,  and with stage 1 he has tried complete removal and this simple maneuver and for the moderate riders his butt dyno cant tell any difference. Runs better less heat. Almost zero dollars.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 12:48:00 PM by dartman »

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 12:41:52 PM »

Anyone just change the header pipe to true duals/power duals and keeping the stock exhaust? My goal is to get rid of the cat and not increase the sound level from stock and was hoping this would work.

I have my CVO stock (non-cat) '09 mufflers with an x-pipe.
Pretty quiet IMO
HOGMIKE

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 11:11:32 PM »

my 07 mufflers are not the same from left to right - the internals are not the same. one you can see a light thru - and one you definitely cannot.

there is a chance it will cause trouble to go true duals - besides the fact that true duals give up low end in preference to high rpm......

one of the versions of no cat 2-1-2 head pipe with the stock mufflers is more likely to work properly.

to

NYSport

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Road Glide, Skunk
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 10:16:58 AM »

my 2012 RG works very well with fullsac header pipe and stock mufflers, absolutely stock.  Sounds great and with a dyno tune has great torque.
Former US Army
160th Little Bird Pilot

ultrarider123

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 11:04:29 AM »

I watched a mech run a core drill through a cat started the engine before the drill went through to keep the plug inside the drill, volume tripled once the plug was removed even with OEM mufflers your exhaust will be noticeably louder with the cat even partially removed. He realizes they are better methods of removing cats but he said the owner never gets much over 4,500 rpms ,  and with stage 1 he has tried complete removal and this simple maneuver and for the moderate riders his butt dyno cant tell any difference. Runs better less heat. Almost zero dollars.

Looks like a good alternative to cutting the thing out.  However, what of the remaining material left after the drilling effort?  Wouldn't want to take a chance that it was cracked during the drilling and break loose/plug up the header....just something to be aware of.  Also, that catalyst is pretty restrictive.  Removing it entirely or just with a large plug may effect your tuner.  Might want to look at some threads on that subject on the site....just a suggestion. 

As for the loudness, Blacktop, you could easily remove the cat material and leave it stock muffler wise.  I've spoken with a couple folks that did just that and were tickled with the results.  More power and a bit louder than stock.  They did need a tuner, however....lots of changes when the cat is removed as it's pretty restrictive.  Keep us posted on how you proceed.

blacktop

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2013 - Anniversary #674
    • CVO3: 2021 CVO Limited Bronze
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 11:16:44 AM »

my 2012 RG works very well with fullsac header pipe and stock mufflers, absolutely stock.  Sounds great and with a dyno tune has great torque.

I was thinking about the fullsac headers....Did this increase the loudness at all?

Blue Tank

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 11:57:10 AM »

Just installed V&H Header with X and removed stock muffler cores as seen elsewhere on this site. I have only heard it in the barn but throttle response noticeably improved even on the lift. It is a lot louder.

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 12:28:01 PM »

However, what of the remaining material left after the drilling effort?  Wouldn't want to take a chance that it was cracked during the drilling and break loose/plug up the header....just something to be aware of.  

Ultra Rider, those cats are tough You can chisel them, drill them, beat them and grind them, I cant even imagine one cracking from drilling, the core drill makes an almost perfect straight hole the same size as the exhaust pipe and the bit seals the surface it passes through, very similar to your plug removal far from perfect but very neat and works.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 12:38:58 PM by dartman »

ultrarider123

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 01:19:47 PM »

Ultra Rider, those cats are tough You can chisel them, drill them, beat them and grind them, I cant even imagine one cracking from drilling, the core drill makes an almost perfect straight hole the same size as the exhaust pipe and the bit seals the surface it passes through, very similar to your plug removal far from perfect but very neat and works.

Just my obsesive/compulsive side kicking in....would be bugging the crap out of me all the time knowing it was still in therebut that is just me... ;)
As for the platinum, ceramic catalyst material being hard, ya got that right.  Back in the 80's, removed a couple "innerds" from cats on a couple Toyota's I owned.  Hard stuff but once it was broken, it fell apart.  I'm just using that as my only example for removing that material.  Don't get me wrong, I believe it's a great option, just not for me.  May be an option for Blacktop, however.... :2vrolijk_21:

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 01:55:39 PM »

Yep, I remember the 80s those ceramic cats were like glass easily pulverized, this new material is not even remotely similar its a metallic foil honeycomb that is virtually indestructable.

ultrarider123

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 02:02:22 PM »

Yep, I remember the 80s those ceramic cats were like glass easily pulverized, this new material is not even remotely similar its a metallic foil honeycomb that is virtually indestructable.

This is a good day as I have now learned two new things... :2vrolijk_21:  Thanks brother.
Guess I can go home now.... :o ;D

NYSport

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Road Glide, Skunk
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 08:42:54 PM »

I was thinking about the fullsac headers....Did this increase the loudness at all?

It did but not too much IMO.  Sounds really good when you twist the grip ;D
Former US Army
160th Little Bird Pilot

Page created in 0.287 seconds with 25 queries.