Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: OEM Header with cat removed verses aftermarket performance?  (Read 14570 times)

tweeter13

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE6
Re: OEM Header with cat removed verses aftermarket performance?
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2013, 07:05:41 AM »

Schmobel you have a 12 bike and your o2 sensors are located down low by where close to each other,  and Northstar I Beilve by what is listed under his name has a 2009.  His O2 sensors should be right almost coming out of the head.  So his wont have a problem with cross talking like what Doc was talking about.  If you look at some of the pictures of each of the headers and understanding how they work.  I like the design of the aftermarket ones better flow wise.  Not saying that a defatted factory head pipe would not work.  Because it will and people have got good results from them.  But I believe people from what I have read from threads on here get better performance gains out if the aftermarket headers. 

Seems most have had best luck and broadest power range with the fullsac set up it seems
With the tts and Steve's map.  It's pretty much for the home mechanic to do.
Check out his web sight and check out others as well just to give it a fair shake.  I think you will agree after reading through some of the threads here as well to get a good sound decision based a several years of use.  Many people have several bikes and always go back t the same set up after spending big dollars on something new just to sell it and go back to fullsac because its proven. 

I don't have it yet but will when funds allow me. 

But look Back through threads and do research for what you want the most from your header,  are you looking for cheap and inexpensive or you looking for horsepower or torque and sound or a little of all. 

This most likely doesn't help you any.  You might send Steve at full sac a pm and get his opinion on removing the cat vs. his header. 

Todd
18 Monsterbrite led lights
Fullsac DX head pipe
Fullsac 2.25 baffles
TTS master-tune
George Anderson tourpac relocator

Schnobel

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 aka The Bee
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2013, 08:25:18 PM »

Forgot to put that in my other post....before installing the de-catted header but with the de-plugged SE muffler (so pretty much stock), the dyno run showed 87 HP and 100 lb/ft of torque.  After empty header, SERT de-plugged muffler was 95 and 114 respectively.

Are you running the OEM map or did you do a custom tune? So from what I have read, if you d'cat and remove the "plug" from the SC factory mufflers is it good to go or should a guy still buy a tuner and have a custom map made?

I see the o2 Spenser's are close to each other on my bike but from the "search" function here, it seems many have removed the cats without any cross talk going on or haven't noticed any issues if it does.

Thanks guys for all the replys.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 08:55:30 PM by Schnobel »

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2013, 11:07:38 PM »

Your going to need to dyno with all the engine work done now with the Fullsac if you want to get real comparable results. An old dyno sheet (before engine work) with work done in between isn't going to be any good for a real comparison.

No, three weeks ago I had the engine work done and dyno tune done. The bike had the Fullsac pipe.

I'm bringing the bike back to him with everything the same except it will have the OEM pipe installed, so he will do his thing, then I will have the new charts to compare to the runs he did 3 weeks ago.
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

ldireprophil

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Road Glide Custom Maple Metallic
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2013, 12:22:02 AM »

I just took my stco head pipe off my 12' cvo rg today if anyone wants to make it a decat project.  $50 shipped.  Comes with the heat shields.
2012 CVO RGC / Renegade Lincoln Phantom 21-17 / RWD Fender / -2 Front -1 Rear / Bad Dad Side Covers / Andrews 54H Cams / HQ Black Ops Lifters / Heavy Breather / Cometic .030 HG / Barnett +1 Clutch / Aim 480lb Spring / ClutchWiz / Hayden M6 / D&D Fat Cat 2-1 w/UPB & Ghost Pipe / TTS MasterTune 2 / Wizard's Tune / Alpine CDE-HD149BT Head Unit / Alpine PDX-M6 Amp / Hertz HCX 690 / Hertz HSK 165 XL / Biketronics Module / Cycles Sounds Lids / Misc Little Things

ultrarider123

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2013, 07:27:40 AM »

if you d'cat and remove the "plug" from the SC factory mufflers is it good to go or should a guy still buy a tuner and have a custom map made?

If you choose to go this route, you will need to tune the bike after this major a change.  We chose the Screamin Eagle Race Tuner for the Skunk as it was a good choice and he had used it on another bike and was happy with the results...plus the tech doing the tuning is very good with the SERT.  He's happy with the results (and so would most folks) for the costs involved.  However, if you just remove the plug/change the mufflers and leave the header w/catalyst still in place, should be no need to tune the bike.

DtyHarry

• Junior CVO Member
  • Enjoy every day as if it's the last one...
    • CA
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2013, 12:54:28 AM »

I'd be interested in the bottom line results here as well... my local Harley dealer also think the cat-less 2009 stock pipe is the best way to go...  I was considering the Fullsac DX pipe...  Planning on using the V&H high outputs...
2013 CVO RG, Anniv Ed; Ohlin 159s; Race Tech Gold Emulators; Danny Grey weekday 2 up; 10" Black Chubby Apes; Fullsac DX Pipe; V&H OS 450s; chopped tour pack; TTS Mastertune; Zumo 665; Focal 165 speakers;

blacktop

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2013 - Anniversary #674
    • CVO3: 2021 CVO Limited Bronze
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2013, 07:23:07 AM »

No, three weeks ago I had the engine work done and dyno tune done. The bike had the Fullsac pipe.

I'm bringing the bike back to him with everything the same except it will have the OEM pipe installed, so he will do his thing, then I will have the new charts to compare to the runs he did 3 weeks ago.

I'm interested in knowing these results when available.

dlhovland

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2013, 04:43:16 PM »

Bump Just want to follow thread.
2011 road glide ultra CVO

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2013, 09:48:32 PM »

I got the 2009 Headpipe from a fellow forum member and had it ceramic coated inside and out (expensive).

After the pipe was put on, I really noticed more torque down low, as in as soon as you let the clutch out.

I was in denial about it, that it might have been my imagination, but I think it was for real. I will know for sure tomorrow since I'm going back to my builder for a new tune now that I have his recommended head pipe on. After that, I'm going to ride a couple hours away to look at some enclosed trailers (I may finally be able to buy one since I'm ditching my car for a small SUV), so I'll have a good riding impression as well.

I'll update tomorrow evening with my impressions and before and after dyno charts.
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 25 queries.