Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Governer at 190?  (Read 7595 times)

Sarhan

• Still a Live
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
Re: Governer at 190?
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2015, 04:53:09 AM »

There is a speed limiter, I've seen it on a dyno several times son fly by wire bikes. PAnd like all other things Harley it seems to vary from bike to bike.

:2vrolijk_21:

Have seen such limiters on different bikes, speed limit fuel cutoff and speed limit throttle, but I don't know if Harley got such limiters
A short walk is tedious when no one walks with you, but a long journey is just like a few steps, when you walk with god & caring friends

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2015, 08:57:21 AM »

I asked my dealer but they didn't think there was a speed limiter Ither but nobody knew for sure they pretty much laughed and said nobody has had that issue but not many people try to ride that fast. It would be interesting to see if any other Canadian bikes have noticed this. I'll know for sure next week after my 113 kit is done if it still won't go over 190kph something is f$%*ed I would hope it would hit the rev limiter with the 113 kit should be at about 230kph or 140 mph

Actually if you take the time to do the math you would find that the potential top speed in 6th gear at 6200 rpm (which is a typical number for the rev limiter with other than a stock tune) would be a lot higher than 230 kph (140 mph).  But the bike will never pull anything close to those rpm's in top gear, 113 kit or not.  Way too much drag.

Here's a suggestion if you really want to prove if there is a governor or top speed limit in the ECM.  Have your shop put the bike on the dyno, strap it down real well, and then run it until it won't go any faster.  This eliminates any aerodynamic issues altogether.  If there is an electronic limit at 190 kph, it should still cut off at 190 kph.  I've never seen any information from H-D or anyone else saying such a limit was placed in the software, but with Harley you can't assume just because they don't mention it that it doesn't exist.  All I'm saying is that the bike isn't going to run any faster out in the real world than it did, limiter or not, without one heck of a lot more power. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Gandrtravis

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AB

• CVO1: 2008 cvo dyna inferno red and desert black sold
    • CVO2: 2014 cvo road king tribal orange and galactic black traded
    • CVO3: 2018 cvo road glide gunship grey
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2015, 10:04:36 AM »

When Im getting it dyno tuned I'll ask the dyno op to try it out but I am fairly confident there is one it feels like your car when you hit the limiter you can feel it cut out. If that's true and it does have one would that be in the tuning options to delete it ?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2015, 11:47:29 AM »

Check with Steve Cole.  If anyone knows what can and cannot be altered in the ECM, it would be Steve.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2015, 12:31:09 PM »

Check with Steve Cole.  If anyone knows what can and cannot be altered in the ECM, it would be Steve.

Jerry

YES there is a limiter in the ECM....or at least there was a few years ago. This issue came up with a couple of V-Rod's that were being built to run Bonneville at over 200mph. As I recall it took the guys awhile to figure out why the motor was shutting down when virtually everything was perfect to achieve the goal.

V-Rod Girl ran into this problem as well...I think. I'll have to look at some old emails and report back.

Also, I think Dave Perwitzs daughter was trying for the fastest lady on the Salt record and had the problem as well.

Jery (also)

lowflight

• Senior CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2015, 03:04:40 PM »

Parasitic drag is huge on all our bikes. I keep hanging more crap on mine, but I use a good wax that makes it slippery so it doesn't matter, lol.

I know a guy that is part of a Bonneville team I will have to ask him about the limiter next time I see him, I don't doubt it at all that it exists.   

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2015, 10:26:00 PM »

My bike is not stock, but will easily hit 120mph in 6th gear. Will actually go past the 120 mark on the speedo. I do it all the time. Gets there very quickly to.  Maybe that's why i go through compensator like mad.   Oh by the way, I never ever get any kind of front end shimmy or wobble at that speed.  Go bats.
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

Gandrtravis

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AB

• CVO1: 2008 cvo dyna inferno red and desert black sold
    • CVO2: 2014 cvo road king tribal orange and galactic black traded
    • CVO3: 2018 cvo road glide gunship grey
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2015, 11:21:40 PM »

My last bike I would get a front end speed wobble around 200 but on the road king at 190 it's fine I wish it wouldn't cut out is all but maybe my tuner will be able to delete it I'll ask Steve as we'll see if he has ran into this issue or if he knows how to fix it

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2015, 11:27:30 PM »

I have a 2014 rk cvo and it seems like it runs into a governed at 190kph even if it is still acceling pretty good it just stops my last bike a 2008 cvo dyna did not do this is this a new thing and how do you get rid of it? Anyone else having this problem maybe us bikes don't have it.

Never saw this issue on the last three bikes I had........ :nixweiss:
This is my 2010 bagger.
HOGMIKE

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2015, 12:39:58 AM »

I have other manufacturers bikes that restrict speed via timing, and/or intake restriction through partial closure primary or secondary TB plates in certain gears.  Purchased or homemade TRE units are installed to fool the ECM into thinking its in an unrestricted gear to unleash full power through all gears. Common in the sport, ADV and sport touring bikes. Not all, but some.

twinotter

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2015, 05:03:26 PM »

There may be a speed limiter based on speedometer speed or your rev limiter may be set very low.
Based on speedo would likely be within the ESM, rev limit can usually be reprogrammed to higher (or lower) so suit. Engine builder sometime deliberately set the rev limit low to prevent damage on new motors, my S&S T 124 would not allow revs over 4K until it had 8 hrs running time.
Be very careful running new 6 speed bikes to max on a dyno, most touring tires are not rated for the speeds achievable. A rear tire blowing on the dyno at 140 mph can be very unpleasant. fwiw  twinotter.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2015, 03:14:29 PM »

I have a 2014 rk cvo and it seems like it runs into a governed at 190kph even if it is still acceling pretty good it just stops my last bike a 2008 cvo dyna did not do this is this a new thing and how do you get rid of it? Anyone else having this problem maybe us bikes don't have it.
Try it without the windshield...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2015, 08:21:26 PM »

The speed limiter on a stock Touring bike is right about 162 MPH. Stock bikes also read about 6% fast.
I typically calibrate the speedo during a normal dyno session. If I calibrate and slow the speedo down before the 6th gear pulls it will hit the speed limiter instead of the rev limiter ending the pull right about 6000 RPM. I have learned to wait until the WOT pulls are over to calibrate the speedo. So all you guys thinking you hit 120, subtract 6% if your speedo cal is factory. If your tire is worn out, subtract 8%. Just an FYI, if you got one on these SRT Jeeps, the speed limiter 150. Hits it right at the top of 6th gear leaving you wondering what it would do in 7th an 8th? Those you have to check the old fashioned way on Interstate 40 with a GPS.

SG   :2vrolijk_21:

« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 08:23:23 PM by Fullsac Performance »
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2015, 06:44:03 AM »

The speed limiter on a stock Touring bike is right about 162 MPH. Stock bikes also read about 6% fast.
I typically calibrate the speedo during a normal dyno session. If I calibrate and slow the speedo down before the 6th gear pulls it will hit the speed limiter instead of the rev limiter ending the pull right about 6000 RPM. I have learned to wait until the WOT pulls are over to calibrate the speedo. So all you guys thinking you hit 120, subtract 6% if your speedo cal is factory. If your tire is worn out, subtract 8%. Just an FYI, if you got one on these SRT Jeeps, the speed limiter 150. Hits it right at the top of 6th gear leaving you wondering what it would do in 7th an 8th? Those you have to check the old fashioned way on Interstate 40 with a GPS.

OR you can have it checked for you   :policeman: :policeman: :policeman:
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 09:29:06 AM by CVOStreetglide »

Sarhan

• Still a Live
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2015, 08:04:04 AM »

Steve,

There is any such of speed limit fuel or speed limit throttle cut-off in Harley ECM's ?

Refer to speed reading I assume that speedo are correct in TTS calibrations

A short walk is tedious when no one walks with you, but a long journey is just like a few steps, when you walk with god & caring friends
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 25 queries.