Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: No key / fob warning  (Read 7205 times)

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
No key / fob warning
« on: December 27, 2015, 03:28:01 PM »

My story than the question.
On September 1 we took home our 2015 CVO Limited, a couple weekends later I went back for the 1,000 mile service. This a 200 mile round trip.
After the service was finished, my friend that rode down with me was ready to head home before me and I got into a hurry, saw my key and fob were in the right saddle bag I grabbed them as I always keep them in the Tour Pac, well not wanting to take too long to get ready I pushed them into my left pocket. Off we went. We stopped half way home for a break, thats when he asked about the lights under the tour pac, while telling him they come on when locking or unlocking the bike with the fob I realized I no longer had the key and the fob. Well I looked around here we were with no luck. And 50 miles of country roads, well what side of the road could they be on, would they have been ran over?
Called the dealer to see if they were in the parking lot, lost reception than just headed home by using the PID.
I know the radio screen will show no key present for a short period of time now.
Why isn't there a better warning? Couldn't the alarm activate short chirps to catch your attention? And how about flashing a warning on the infotainment screen while the chirping happens?
Something as easy as those could have made a search for them be a smaller area.
I know I want to get a few things for the bike but those aren't what I had in mind.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
Re: No key / fob warning
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 04:00:32 PM »

So when you lost the FOB there was no message or warning at all?  I don't like having to carry two FOBs and they are big ones too! I need to set up my PID.  I haven't had a need but now two issues requiring this makes me want to make sure I can get home!

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 08:39:38 PM »

Not sure meaning of your post. You lost your keys and you want the bike to tell you before you notice it? I do not understand.
I went to gas station one time and left fob at home on work bench. Just used the pin and rode home, never thought to blame bike. NEXT time I will though.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 10:05:54 PM »

The bike doesn't care if the security/ignition fob is present or not, once the security system has been turned off by having the fob present when you turn on the ignition.  So I'm not sure why Harley would or should worry about constantly monitoring for the present of the fob once the bike is running.  It wouldn't be that hard to do with modern electronics of course, I just don't know that anyone would have thought it should be necessary. :nixweiss:

I guess you could do what some of the less security conscious folks have done, which is to just leave the fob in the saddle bag or tour pak all the time so they don't have to pay attention to the whereabouts of their fob.  Not a great idea if you let the bike out of your sight of course, but it hasn't stopped some from doing it.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 10:36:40 PM »

Car sounds a warning as soon as the fob leaves the cabin.  Just ask my wife who's had to listen to it chime when I've run back into the house to grab my wallet or sunglasses after backing out of the garage.  Not sure why the bike doesn't care.

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 11:37:21 PM »

When the bike is started with fob present, and you leave ,drop, give the  fob to someone and the than leave the range of reception of the fob signal, a warning stating the fob is not present will come on the screan to let the rider know. My thought is if this warning would stay on the screan for more than a couple minutes and if the alarm would chirp alerting the rider the fob is no longer in range like my car does than the rider may be able to locate the fob prior to riding away. I'm the ding doing that didn't follow my normal routine. Just thinking about how it could help others

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 12:43:03 AM »

I guess it's just the old geezer in me or maybe I'm part Luddite? I never found keys all that confusing and back when all we had was that it went on my key ring with my house key (I needed that to get back in house so it wasn't left behind.) The old time leather jackets had zippers on the pockets so we wouldn't loose the keys or other stuff not to just make us look like Marlon Brando.
Once remotes became popular with cars we generally lost our manners, (When is the last time you opened a door for a lady, not just hitting the button to unlock for her?)
Also the alarm remote where we had to hit a button to activate/deactivate alarm seemed to last several years in battery life, now it's a yearly change-out of remote battery. My theory is the remote is constantly on  now versus only on when button pushed. Was button pushing that hard so we now have to battery purchase all the time and replace frequently?
And all the electronic monitoring has to cause some kind of parasitic drain and it definitely can cause a shutdown that can't be fixed easily on the road or a can't shut it off like a Toyota.....
oh well I guess it won't be long before those driver-less vehicles will be the rage and we won't have to think about driving once we punch in a program? Just hope it doesn't send us off a cliff!

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 12:23:20 PM »

I would think that just like a car the bike should provide warning when the FOB is not present and the bike is running. Cars will start to beep and let you know until you get back in range.

I still like plain old keys as well and especially don't like to have to worry about two large FOBs. I saw in 2016 they are finally down to one FOB.

I never tried to start the bike and then take the FOB away. I tried the alarm when I messed with the bike and the FOB wasn't in range but now I think I will try the starting her and seeing what happens.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 12:34:24 PM »

Car sounds a warning as soon as the fob leaves the cabin.  Just ask my wife who's had to listen to it chime when I've run back into the house to grab my wallet or sunglasses after backing out of the garage.  Not sure why the bike doesn't care.

Note that while the car sounds a warning, it DOESN"T shut the engine down.  That would be a totally unacceptable and downright stupid thing to do on purpose, thus even the less intelligent car companies don't do that.  And I'm pretty sure even the folks at H-D wouldn't do such a thing either, but can't guarantee that one. :nervous: 

I assume with your car this warning chime eventually times out, kind of like many seatbelt alarms do.  If not, and the battery in the fob or the fob itself dies in the middle of a trip, hopefully the manufacturer includes a set of earplugs.  I could see having a warning light illuminate if the vehicle loses the signal from the fob, but for whatever reason Harley didn't think it was necessary from 2007 until Rushed More came along.  And if I understand how the late models work, they still don't keep a warning light illuminated continuously.  I could be wrong on that one.

Regardless, keeping a spare fob battery with each of a person's vehicles would be a good idea, now that the vehicle manufacturers have all allowed the electronic gadget freaks to take over designing their products.  I for at least one prefer the good old fashioned ignition switch and key, and a pushbutton fob for unlocking the doors.  It's pretty hard to forget your keys and fob on those vehicles, and you don't have to worry about folks stealing a constantly broadcast signal and using it to unlock your car and drive away.  That last part is already being done in this country btw.

Sometimes "progress" really isn't, and sometimes supposed conveniences like not having to unlock your doors and insert a key into an ignition switch are more trouble than they are worth.  But for easily fooled people, those ads on TV showing people walking up the back of their SUV with arms full of packages and just waving their foot under the bumper to open the liftgate are a real selling point.  I'm amazed when I hear people discussing new cars and the only thing they find important is the electronic gadgets and infotainment system.  You could sell these people a complete mechanical nightmare, as long as you give them the latest toys. 

Rant over for now.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 12:52:32 PM »

Note that while the car sounds a warning, it DOESN"T shut the engine down.  That would be a totally unacceptable and downright stupid thing to do on purpose, thus even the less intelligent car companies don't do that.  And I'm pretty sure even the folks at H-D wouldn't do such a thing either, but can't guarantee that one. :nervous: 

I too would've thought, without much hesitation, that even Mother Harley wasn't so stupid as to deploy a safety and interlock system that might actually fail-safe in such a way that it would actually shut down the engine of a motorcycle moving in traffic.  Then just a few days ago we had this:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=105620.0

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2015, 05:38:08 PM »

I'm calling factory Tuesday and talk to tech support to see if there is a flash / update to be able to activate a warning chirp in the event of the fob being lost from the pocket while riding. Maybe this was something that was missed when feedback from customers brought on the warning message on the screen about " fob not present " for the Rushmore project.
If they say not enough concern from owners, are you guys willing to voice your desire to have such a feature? It would seen to me that a programmer could be able to do this being a message from the ECM already shows on the screen and a siren is already on the bike. 
Back in September I did ask about being able to have key and fob as 1 unit like 2016 bikes have, said I could and it would only take replacing the ECM.

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2015, 08:29:55 AM »

"I for at least one prefer the good old fashioned ignition switch and key"

+1, and a radio off button that I don't have to hold for 3 seconds while reaching for it and trying to ride at the same time. Or a radio manual that is thicker than the owners manual and written horribly. Most folks I know ride, to get away from the gadgetry of everyday life.
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2015, 02:25:53 PM »

I would prefer an old fashioned key as well and a radio that is easy to use. I do like the navigation!

Yes I would support the idea of asking Harley to modify the warning to help riders know when the FOB is out of range!

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2015, 02:54:22 PM »

Just talked to a support guy at MOCO, to ask about weather the infotainment system has the ability to chirp a warning if the fob gets lost while riding. He thought it would be a good idea but that he didn't think at this time it could be set up to do that. Said he will talk with tech support people and also add this to the suggestion box. I can only imagine the box is not only big but also full and I can see him poor it out, place this on the bottom than refill it.

magoo1500

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2016, 10:04:47 AM »

The first time I took my bike to work was kind of a disaster.

I just picked up my CVO on a Friday afternoon and there were some guys working on Saturday that wanted to see it.I got up Saturday morning cleaned the bike up and off I went.I pulled into the parking lot shut it off,i had it in a spot i had to move it......UH OH,chirp,chirp,chirp,CHIRP,CHIRP,CHIRP!!!! Where in the hell are my keys!!

When I went out I set them on the work bench next to my bike and they were close enough to start it.....I left it in the parking lot at work( a car dealer) chirping away while I borrowed a truck and run home to get the keys.I guess it only chirped for 5 or 10 minutes,but of course thats not the story I got when I got back.....

Later that afternoon we got on youtube and programmed the over ride.....i remember the code,but not the sequence,so as long as I have a smart phone I will be golden.
2015 Road Glide Ultra CVO
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 24 queries.