Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking at a Used 2014 CVO Limited worry ed about Lifters  (Read 2058 times)

Screamin Dyna

• FLHRSEI.ORG
Looking at a Used 2014 CVO Limited worry ed about Lifters
« on: June 01, 2024, 11:15:27 PM »

Hi,
I am currently looking at a used 2014 CVO Limited in great shape with 23,800 miles on it.  I rode the bike and it rides great.  I believe it is a good deal at $16 K.  After my research I am super paranoid now about this lifter issue.  Should I be OK to buy if I take it straight to have the lifters changed?   Just dont want to get stuck with a pig in a poke.  I have been waiting for a few years to buy a nice CVO Limited that won’t put me in the poor house, but the lifter issue has me spooked now.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I Love this Bike!

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
Re: Looking at a Used 2014 CVO Limited worry ed about Lifters
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2024, 05:56:35 AM »

I'd have them changed just for piece of mind. Some people don't have issues and others do. All three of the 110s I previously owned needed them replaced between 25k and 35k miles.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

pauly_2

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2024, 07:54:15 AM »

I cannot speak highly enough of S&S premium lifters for twin cams. If you replace the lifters (I would), consider these.

Thanks
Pauly 2

Hi,
I am currently looking at a used 2014 CVO Limited in great shape with 23,800 miles on it.  I rode the bike and it rides great.  I believe it is a good deal at $16 K.  After my research I am super paranoid now about this lifter issue.  Should I be OK to buy if I take it straight to have the lifters changed?   Just dont want to get stuck with a pig in a poke.  I have been waiting for a few years to buy a nice CVO Limited that won’t put me in the poor house, but the lifter issue has me spooked now.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2024, 08:10:35 PM »

Buy the bike. change the lifters! if, that does not ease ur fears then buy the https://www.discountesp.com/renew-motorcycle-extended-service-plan/. i have 3 110 c.i. one has 60000 still strong. one set of lifters at 45000. esp paid for it.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2024, 11:01:42 PM »

I have a 2013 CVO Ultra Classic and I believe Jim (Metal Dragon) changed the lifters one time.  It's still the most reliable Harley that I've ever owned (and I've owned a lot)!

80,000 miles and in a couple of weeks I'm leaving Tucson headed to Sacramento for a few days (2,000 miles round trip).  Then next month headed up to Red Lodge, Montana for the Beartooth Motorcycle Rally.

I would suggest buying the bike and then have the lifters changed and change fluids in all three holes.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

2smoke

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Softail Convertible
    • CVO2: 2012 Softail Convertible
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2024, 01:16:36 PM »

Buy the bike! If thats all that is stopping you is "worrying" then get them changed out and then ride worry-free. The 110 gets a bad rap for this lifter issue. S & S, Fueling, etc. all make some very good replacements. Just buy it!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2024, 08:53:31 AM »

I have a 2013 CVO Ultra Classic and I believe Jim (Metal Dragon) changed the lifters one time.  It's still the most reliable Harley that I've ever owned (and I've owned a lot)!

80,000 miles and in a couple of weeks I'm leaving Tucson headed to Sacramento for a few days (2,000 miles round trip).  Then next month headed up to Red Lodge, Montana for the Beartooth Motorcycle Rally.

I would suggest buying the bike and then have the lifters changed and change fluids in all three holes.

My own message got me to thinking.....so I messaged Jim at Metal Dragon and asked him when I had lifters changed last on my 2013?  He replied back that it was 2015!   :o  I've rode all over the country, literally, since then!  So, since I'm headed to Northern California anyway.....looks like I'll be leaving a couple of days earlier and stopping in the bay area for Jim to change my lifters again.  Thanks a bunch for starting this thred but it's still the most reliable Harley that I've ever owned!   :2vrolijk_21:   

At 73, time just slips by.   Where does time go?
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

09nessrg

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2012 Skunk CVO
    • CVO3: 2009 RG Custom
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2024, 10:53:41 AM »

Dont forget your Tire Repair Kit & pump! Your story about the flat made me think real hard for i ordered a airmoto with the kit snce i do alot of travel ! Did you get a nail Or?
Hope all is well with you,  last we spoke was in Colorado when i was on the Kyle Petty Charity Ride.
Steve at Fullsac did my replacement & tune and bike is great, 2012 RG "Skunk".
Ride Safe

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2024, 07:04:47 AM »

Dont forget your Tire Repair Kit & pump! Your story about the flat made me think real hard for i ordered a airmoto with the kit snce i do alot of travel ! Did you get a nail Or?
Hope all is well with you,  last we spoke was in Colorado when i was on the Kyle Petty Charity Ride.
Steve at Fullsac did my replacement & tune and bike is great, 2012 RG "Skunk".
Ride Safe

I've had the AirMoto for a year.  Ordered the plug kit soon as I got home.  First flat I've ever had and I've ridden all over North America including Canada and Mexico.  But I'm more prepared now.....plug kit and AirMoto.

Yes, I remember meeting you at the Love's Truck Stop in Buena Vista.  Hope all is well with you and yours.  You mentioned that Steve did your replacement......replacement of what?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2024, 07:07:41 AM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

09nessrg

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2012 Skunk CVO
    • CVO3: 2009 RG Custom
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2024, 10:21:26 AM »

Lifters, cam, baffles, dyno

Priz

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

• CVO1: 08 CVO Road King FLHRSE4
    • CVO2: 50 EL Chop
    • CVO3: 44 U Big Twin Flathead
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2024, 05:16:56 PM »

Inner Cam bearings too.
Problems cannot be solved using the same level of awareness that created them!

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 24 queries.