Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Oil Leak, Head Gasket replacement of the replacement after 400 miles-Update  (Read 13772 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!

I might have an extra set of new stock 110" pistons and cylinders that I can sell to your dealer. ::) I'll know next week if I need them! ;) Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited

Cylinder kit is on backorder!

just hear that also,  i'm so pissed i'm laughing

all i want to do is ride

When did your cylinder kit get ordered?   According to my dealer, the long list for a part is like an admission of an issue.

This S*cks big time. 

:soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox:

Any day on the bike is a good day.

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
  • pnw_cvfltrse_dom_c38_sws_w1024

My personal experience with an oil leak issue and replacing the head gasket turned out to be porous jugs. After having the original head gasket replaced within 5000 miles I still had an oil leak, thus, a thorough examination and testing by the dealer revealed the cause of the oil leak, porous jugs. Dealer replaced jugs have put 2800 miles on the bike an no oil leaks.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

My personal experience with an oil leak issue and replacing the head gasket turned out to be porous jugs. After having the original head gasket replaced within 5000 miles I still had an oil leak, thus, a thorough examination and testing by the dealer revealed the cause of the oil leak, porous jugs. Dealer replaced jugs have put 2800 miles on the bike an no oil leaks.

You must have been any early "mule"  for the fix.  It makes me feel better that your repair has held up.  Was you leak obvious?  I never actually saw the HG leak, I brought it in for the other leak, the one that's being fixed with two o rings on the VSS.

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
  • pnw_cvfltrse_dom_c38_sws_w1024

It started as a mist and escalated to the drip(s). The Harley wrench was embarrassed to say the least thinking he couldn't install a head gasket correctly. However, it was porous jugs. I posted the porous jugs incident a few months ago, I believe there are many porous jugs still out there. As far as I'm concerned there is only two valid reasons for an inspected jug to be porous 1. poor casting 2. poor compound, now I ask you, what are the odds only 2 jugs were porous? The Dealer replaced the jugs within 2 weeks after returning the jugs to HD for inspection.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 01:54:14 PM by FLHRSE »

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

Is it possible that the redesigned gaskets were able to mask the oil leak some how?  Did you see the bad jugs?  Can you explain exactly what the porosity is causing?  I'm not that familiar with cylinders on a V Twin.  I'm guessing the oil is seeping out of the oil passage and then finding its way out at the gasket?  There is a sleeve, correct?  Can someone do a deep dive on this situation?
I had some seepage at the bottom of the cylinder also.

I believe there are many of these out there.  Some haven't hit the mileage which seems to be 4-5K.  I feel bad for those who rarely ride and won't find this issue before the two year warranty expires.

Thanks

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8

Is it possible that the redesigned gaskets were able to mask the oil leak some how?  Did you see the bad jugs?  Can you explain exactly what the porosity is causing?  I'm not that familiar with cylinders on a V Twin.  I'm guessing the oil is seeping out of the oil passage and then finding its way out at the gasket?  There is a sleeve, correct?  Can someone do a deep dive on this situation?
I had some seepage at the bottom of the cylinder also.

I believe there are many of these out there.  Some haven't hit the mileage which seems to be 4-5K.  I feel bad for those who rarely ride and won't find this issue before the two year warranty expires.

Thanks

Here's a link to the earlier thread by FLHRSE FYI Porous Jugs It turns out his oil leak was appearing way down on the jug, not at the head gasket. If you can see the oil at the head gasket, then the leak is at the head gasket. Most are, but evidently some are leaking through the side of the jug, which is what it sounds like his was doing.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!

I'm starting to see why we're having issues with these engines. I received a bunch of parts for my mods. One very important P/N is 10956; 2 Base O-Ring Gaskets for the barrels. These pieces of chit are made in China!!! WTF??? No wonder we have issues. How many other critical engine parts are made there? Those cheap bastards! Bring this stuff back to America!!!!! :soapbox: Alright, Chuckie's done! :soapbox: Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

Still no cylinder..... from Milwaukee, China, or where ever.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010

Sorry to hear of your problem in getting the cylinder.  Here's hoping Harley has one available soon.  Time to be riding, not waiting on parts that should be available.

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHRSE3

Sorry to hear you are still fighting with this, hope it gets resolved quickly, just too bad the MOCO has perfected the art of fugging up perfectly good motorcycles.   :soapbox:

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4

Sorry to hear you are still fighting with this, hope it gets resolved quickly, just too bad the MOCO has perfected the art of fugging up perfectly good motorcycles.   :soapbox:

Ah ha!  Capitol statement....when you think back to the amf f/u, youda thunk they learned something.
It is hubris, plain and simple and us morons keep driniking the kool aid....

Miker

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

Update.  No cylinder but when I asked to see the SERK, it had not even been touched.  So I asked them to do the o ring fix for the VSS sensor and let me take it home.  This was done.  They can call me when the cylinder comes in.  I'll enjoy the bike and road test the double o ring fix.  There is no way of determining when it will ship.  They keep changing the date.

:coolblue:

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try...Yoda

Smart thing you looked, :2vrolijk_21: at least you get to enjoy your scoot while they d*ck around with the new parts.

Seegarz

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

charlie

Wait a minute, you spend 33,000 plus on a bike and expect it not to run wright when you pick it up.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 25 queries.