Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 49

Author Topic: Cybil, My New ‘07A FLHRSE3TQ  (Read 82485 times)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
Re: Cybil, My New ‘07A FLHRSE3TQ
« Reply #105 on: September 17, 2007, 10:08:13 AM »

Neal,

Thanks for the info. We'll have to keep this thread in mind as more us us look into heat damage on the ACR wires.

Happy Birthday too.

:indian_chief:

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #106 on: September 17, 2007, 11:41:42 AM »

Whoa, just catching up after HS. Gotta answer some questions here. The heads are stock SE 110" castings, reworked by Cycle-Rama for my build. They have the factory tappings for the ACRs. The factory wiring is like sitting in a frying pan, on top of the heads and under the rocker boxes. After the wiring shorted the ACR out, and shut the motor down. It was as if you hit the kill switch while I was doing 90. Bang! That should've been it. But in the process it spit the ACR out of the head, threads and all. Now we can all speculate as to the whys and wherefores about why that happened. But it did. We're checking the integrity of the metal of the rear head, welding the ACR holes up and installing manual CR's in both heads. I'm getting rid of the stock barrels and pistons too. I'm going with the solid Axtell 4" barrels (no liners) and CP forged flat top pistons. Keeping compression at 9.8:1 with the .030 steel Cometic HG, having the heads and pistons thermal-coated, and programming the ACR's out with the SERT. We'll see how the retune goes to see if I'm keeping the PC on top of the SERT'ed ECM. The motor should perform the same as before, matbe better, and it'll hopefully be that much stronger now. Still nervous about the bottom, but I'm checking the runout again to make sure nothing happened to the bottom. But Wes and Alex both feel that we should be OK. I'll know more later this week and hope to get it back together by the end of next week. I'll have to get it retuned with the SERT, and if I keep the PC on top, that would need to be retuned as well.

That is the absolute latest. Hopefully just a small glitch in the long life motor I thought I built in the first place. This is the last chance for this engine before I drop an S&S 124 in it if anything happens again! ;)

Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 01:14:30 AM by Hoist »
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #107 on: September 17, 2007, 07:58:58 PM »

9.8 corrected? man you like to live on the edge. you sure its not 9.8 static?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #108 on: September 17, 2007, 08:07:57 PM »

9.8 corrected? man you like to live on the edge. you sure its not 9.8 static?

Wes told me corrected. I will reconfirm, but that's what I thought he said he designed it for after milling the heads. I don't design or build these. Why is that a concern? I thought I'd be fine under 10:1 corrected. I go by the advice from experts, after consulting with them about what I want, not how to do it. Should I be concerned here? The motor's apart. Now's the time to get it right. I damn well ain't doing it again! :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #109 on: September 17, 2007, 08:39:29 PM »

we usually shoot for around 8.8-9 to 1 corrected for street motors. 9.8 static makes a nice detonation free motor. of course i dont know what cam you are running? you could be at 12 to 1 static and still have 8.6 or so corrected with big , late closing cams. wes certainly knowes his stuff.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #110 on: September 17, 2007, 09:24:27 PM »

we usually shoot for around 8.8-9 to 1 corrected for street motors. 9.8 static makes a nice detonation free motor. of course i dont know what cam you are running? you could be at 12 to 1 static and still have 8.6 or so corrected with big , late closing cams. wes certainly knowes his stuff.

Well, maybe we were going over so much stuff, I screwed up the build specs he gave me in my head. I'll double check with him when I talk to him tomorrow. This isn't supposed to be a radical street motor. Just a good reliable HiPo touring motor. It appears to run that way too. I'll confirm it. Don't want to post inaccurate info. Thanks Dennis.

Hoist! 8)

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #111 on: September 17, 2007, 09:58:23 PM »

i got a spreadsheet you wou8ld love to play with. pm yoiur email!

BalDeagle

• FLHRSE3 Candy Cobalt with Pale Gold Leafing Graphics
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do it today, tomorrow may be too late......
« Reply #112 on: September 18, 2007, 10:42:14 AM »

Hi howie - I've just sat down for the first time and read this thread from start to finish. It's a great story and I'm sure that very few people will ever have the time and patience to do what you have done. I have to say that a lot of the technical stuff goes right over my head, but I love reading about it and evertime I do I learn a little bit more.

The first part of the story had me wanting to speed straight to the end and type "awesome job Howie", but I'm glad I kept reading as the latest saga of the ACR problem evolved. Seems like there is ultimately going to be very little of Cybil left in stock form and that you will have your "rock solid" SERK thatyou have planned for.

Hopefully we'll have a chance to switch our babies for a short while next year on the "USA Pick up Ride" and I'll be able to see what a Custom CVO SERK can do!!

I'm kind of backing off doing any more to mine at the moment as the cash just seems to be blowing away like so much confetti in the wind. Having said that I am still considering installing the True Trak and the Traxxion Cartridges at some stage over the winter.

Anyways thanks for taking the time and trouble to put all your build information down on here, I'm sure that me and many others will use it as an information manual for many seasons to come.

Cheers fer now.

Nige
Don't leave it until tomorrow, do it today !

110 SERK FLHRSE3
Power Commander
Doherty PowerPacc + PowerVents + Mystfree
Vance & Hines Slip ons + V & H True Duals
Lots of other shiny bits!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #113 on: September 18, 2007, 09:10:51 PM »

Thanks Nige, I appreciate that! :2vrolijk_21:

I closed the loop today on the remaining items to eliminate all the HD parts on the top end. Besides solid Axtell barrels and CP forged pistons, I just ordered Feuling hgh-tensile shouldered cylinder studs and head bolt kit, Feuling spec ARP fasteners, Feuling .120 Race Adj. Pushrods, and am considering their Oil Tank Breather. I'm not F'ing around with this motor anymore. One more problem and an S&S 124 with reworked heads goes in! 140 square will be fine with me! ::)

Hoist! 8)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 01:17:28 AM by Hoist »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #114 on: September 19, 2007, 11:23:17 AM »

Cam Chest is apart and OP and Camplate are being sent back to Feuling for testing, and then returned back to us. Crank runout at pinion shaft was rechecked, and is the same, at 0.0025". Apparently, no damage to the motor was done when the ACR shorted and spit out. Waiting for all parts to be finished and arrive. Deadline I gave for all parts to arrive is next Fri. My tech is going to Europe/Russia for 6 weeks, leaving 2 weeks from This Fri. This gives us an entire week to get the motor redone if all parts arrive by next Fri. Can we make this anymore nerve-racking for me? :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #115 on: September 19, 2007, 11:42:52 AM »

Cam Chest is apart and OP and Camplate are being sent back to Feuling for testing, and then returned back to us. Crank runout at pinion shaft was rechecked, and is the same, at 0.0025". Apparently, no damage to the motor was done when the ACR shorted and spit out. Waiting for all parts to be finished and arrive. Deadline I gave for all parts to arrive is next Fri. My tech is going to Europe/Russia for 6 weeks, leaving 2 weeks from This Fri. This gives us an entire week to get the motor redone if all parts arrive by next Fri. Can we make this anymore nerve-racking for me? :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)

Howie, I verified that wire #15 in the ECM plug is purple with a gray trace. This wire runs to both ACRs. Unplugging the ACRs is the same thing as pulling the #15 purple wire. Either way will disable the ACRs. I've already found out that the bike doesn't care if one ACR is disconnected.

It also looks that it would be pretty easy to rewire them to operate off of the starter relay if so desired.

Smiler

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #116 on: September 19, 2007, 12:50:59 PM »

Hoist

You've done a grand job on this.  I suppose we have to look at you as our style icon now  ;)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #117 on: September 19, 2007, 01:03:56 PM »

Hoist

You've done a grand job on this.  I suppose we have to look at you as our style icon now  ;)

Thanks Smiler, but not so fast. Let's see this thing hold together for awhile first! It better, this time around! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #118 on: September 19, 2007, 01:05:58 PM »

Howie, I verified that wire #15 in the ECM plug is purple with a gray trace. This wire runs to both ACRs. Unplugging the ACRs is the same thing as pulling the #15 purple wire. Either way will disable the ACRs. I've already found out that the bike doesn't care if one ACR is disconnected.

It also looks that it would be pretty easy to rewire them to operate off of the starter relay if so desired.

Thanks for that confirmation Chuck. I have a SERT now and will go thru the process of simply removing them. I'll decide then whether to add the SERT anyway or return it, once I confirm I don't need it! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #119 on: September 19, 2007, 07:32:07 PM »

Howie,
My dealer just showed me a stock 110 head that had the ACR blow out with the threads like yours.  Two week wait for a head.  It looks like no motors (110) are being built now.  My new motor was a -A version but no one can say what that means.  I'll be riding it tomorrow evening if all goes well along with the new tranny.

Any day on the bike is a good day.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 49

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 24 queries.