Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Tell me your "war" story - keep it brief  (Read 2154 times)

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
Tell me your "war" story - keep it brief
« on: February 23, 2008, 11:58:11 PM »

Almost everyone has a story of an accident or near accident that you never know who may learn from......

How about eliminating the friend of a friend stories....... just first hand tales!
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Tell me your "war" story - keep it brief
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 12:14:52 AM »

Almost everyone has a story of an accident or near accident that you never know who may learn from......

How about eliminating the friend of a friend stories....... just first hand tales!

Incident #1: 10 wheel truck took both lanes on a hair pain.  Physics demanded that two elements of matter can't be in the same place at the same time.  Aerodynamics demanded that a Softail could not take flight over the ravine downhill from the curve.  Got a major boo boo.  Lesson from event: Don't try to make a motorcycle fly.

Incident #2: Ford ran a red light in front of me.  Bike slid.  I slid.  Not together though.  Got a minor boo boo.  Rode the six hours or so on home.  Lesson from event:  Don't let a Ford run a red light in front of you.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 12:15:52 AM »

June 2005 Highway 405 Ontario province Canada, running late in the day headin into Toronto from a couple hundred miles east of Montreal. Tire blows at about 100 klicks. Bike goes swayin back and forth like the proverbial drunken sailor. Had a choice. Hang on and risk a barrel roll. Stomp the rear brake and lean back. Took the latter and I'm here to tell the tale. Insurance company paid for a lab to go over the tire. Lab said the tire was cut before it blew. I have no idea when or where. Moral of the story. I check my tires each and every time I stop now. Maybe I would have picked it up, maybe it got cut before the crash, I figure checking narrows the odds a bit in my favor.

B B

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 12:36:37 AM »

Incident #1 riding tandem on a rural backroad and come up to blind turn only to find a oncoming pick up truck over the center line, I was on the inside and

figured a head on collision was not the best route so I pushed My buddy over into the ditch which ran him into a post and rail fence.........fortunately

other than a few scrapes and broken paint and metal we both walked away  ( stayed on completely) I thought I killed my friend....

now I no longer ride tandem for any duration anymore..........

incident #2  18 years old and My Honda CB750 was pretty fast and I took off quick without regard to traffic......I Did not see a car waiting to make left turn

until it was to late  (slow motion I still remember trying to get to the brake before the crash , it did not happen)  I hit the car head on at 50 MPH

dead center  (driver in the car went through the windshield).  The only thing that saved my life other than my helmet was the fact that the bike

catapulted over the car (I never impacted the car)  The handlebars were quite unfriendly though and I stopped skidding down the road almost 300 feet

later (my road rash was so bad all I wanted at that time was to be put down) they cleaned ( my back) it out with a brass brush and disinfectant.

I have never felt pain like that ever.....but no broken bones   I walked away     

lesson learned................   wear leathers and drive defensively
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 06:34:43 AM »

Incident#1 1979. I was riding two up on a Yamaha 750 special, with luggage tied on for a four day weekend. As I approached an intersection, a driver turned left right in front of me. I locked the brakes down briefly. The rear wheel started sliding and getting sideways. There was no way I'd stop in time. I let off the brakes, steered to the left missing his back bumper by inches. Then I was headed for the ditch. I steered to the right, dragging the footpegs. The guy behind me said he coldn't believe I missed the car. After changing my underwear, we went on with our trip.

Incident#2 1999. I was single and woke one Sunday morning to clean house. After blowing the bulk of the dirt our of the house with a leaf blower, I did a shot of Grey Goose Vodka and started vacuuming the remainder of the dirt out. I did a shot for each room I vacuumed. After finishing, I decided to take a ride. I rode over to a buddy's house. I could have parked at the top of the hill and walked to his front door, but decided to ride down. There was a foot bridge over a deep ditch. No problem. I visited with him a bit, and did a few more vodka shots. When I came back out, I looked hard at the foot bridge. My common sense told me to walk the bike over the foot bridge. The vodka in me said "hit it hard". The vodka won the arguement. When I hit the bridge, the bike did a wheelie. When the front wheel came down, it missed the bridge and nose dived into the ditch. It threw me off, and I landed on my head. It felt like I broke my neck. My buddy had to carry me home in his truck. I layed around for a bit, until I decided I needed to go to the hospital. since it was sunday, I had to go to the emergency room. The Dr there asked me how much I had to drink. I remember answering..."Too much obviously." I thought it was funny. He didn't. Nothing broke, I was just sore all over. I never rode that Schwinn again. I bought a Motorcycle the next week.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

REGGAB

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 07:31:09 AM »

#1.  1982.  Old Honda 450.  Blew a curve.  Laid the bike down.  Got up.  Rode home.
#2.  1987.  Old Kaw GPZ550.  Going to work.  Silly chick in a panel van turned left in front of me.  Swerved to miss.  Hit her.  Came to next to a gas pump.  Gear shift ripped out my left instep.  Road rash on left elbow.  Bruises everywhere else.  Was told I flew between two power poles before smacking the gas pump.  3 surgeries to repair my left foot.  40 days in Martin Army Community Hospital.

charlie

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 06:37:37 PM »

On a ride out in PA took a spill on a sandy corner the bike came down pretty hard on my wife's leg thankfully she was OK for the most part, but had a nasty bruise. Then one time here in GA. we were on our way to our sons home and it decided to ran after not raining for 30 days or more and this was at the time I was getting shocked from my hand grips from shorting out ,we were going around a corner slowly and lost it dropped the bike this time I got the bruise but it took some time to get my wife back on the bike. The first thing that ever happened to me was a ambulance ran me off the road he did not have his lights on nor was he hurrying down the road he just did not see me as he came into my lane.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 06:46:10 PM »

I do not want to be accused of padding my thread count.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 06:59:33 PM »

I do not want to be accused of padding my thread count.

Oh come on join the Howie club  8)

B B

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 09:26:38 PM »

B B

Bwaa Haaaa   :D

80's  2 low side slides 1 to avoid car, 1 FU. Both rashed up bike and my ass purty good.   >:(
       1 lefty crash, blew his back window out with my shoulder as well as various internal boo-boo's and tore up   shin...still have the key bent at a 90 and ahole in mee shin from going over.  :'(
       1 wheelie gone wrong, rashed up ego, ass and bike.  >:(

90's another lefty totaled bike came as ok as can be.  :-\

Hiatus from riding til 03.

Since 03 about a million close calls with illegals, cotten tops and garden variety morons.   :soapbox:
Pretty much each ride is an adventure.   :2vrolijk_21:

This week is daytona, trying not be a stat.   :2vrolijk_21:

May qualify for COBB (crippeled(sic) old biker bastards) membership but ain't sure.   :drink:

Stay safe yall

Miker

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 10:19:23 PM »

Probably about 1974:  Riding Honda 175 to high school.  Met a school bus on two lane.  School buses stop at railroad tracks.  Road was a little icy, so bus slid sideways across the road in front of me.  No time to stop and no where to go.  Either hit the bus, or slide under it.  Slid down and went under the bus.  Problem then was that the bus driver did not realize that I was under the bus.  Bus driver took off with me under the bus.  Fortunately, I was behind the rear axle.  Handle bar caught on rear bumper and drug the bike and me for a few feet before the bus turned us loose.
Rode back home with bent handle bars and a pair of ruined blue jeans.

Lesson Learned:  Best not to ride when the road is a "little icy".
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 10:45:08 PM by LRebel »

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 10:35:45 PM »

B B

:carrot: :jalapeno: :cucumber: :pepper: :bananarock:  :huepfenjump3:
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

EZRIDN

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG - Paying tribute to an American legend
    • NE

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 1947 FL
    • CVO3: 2004 FXSTI
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 02:24:58 PM »

Incident #1 - 1965 - Let my dumb-ass cousin drive my Jawa 250 while I passengered....took the high side of a curve and got into the loose stuff and the bike slipped out from under...only thing was, I was still on it as it went down a steep embankment.  Left foot got wrapped around the footpeg and broke my ankle in five places.  That sumbitch is now starting to hurt again after all these years...I was 13 at the time.  Bike was totaled.

Incident #2 - 1970'ish - At dusk a large black & white farm dog come up out of the ditch to chase me.  Before I could avoid him, I ran over him...w/both wheels.  Scared the livin crap out of me as I weeble-wobbled all over both lanes of blacktop and almost laid it down...did grind down the pegs & pipes.  Don't know how I didn't dump it.  This was with an 8" over/1956 Triumph T-110 solid-strut chopper and ape hangers.  The dog survived/retired from his bike chasing days.

Incident #3 - Mid-90's - At dusk/dark, riding two-up on my old Suzuki 650 Tempter, turned into a state rec. lake area to cruise thru the campgrounds and head back out...much like an extended u-turn.  Did this several times before in years past.  Didn't see that they had just put down about 8 inches deep of loose gravel until we were in it.  Front end just sunk in and cranked a hard left.  Did the lazy fall over routine as I was going really slow anyway....sort of like the guy on "Laugh-In" that used to fall over while riding his tricycle...don't know why I just thought of that now.  No damage/no ouchies to either of us...well, maybe some damaged pride. 

*Just a side note, of the five Harleys I've owned, I've never had a real incident with one....close calls with morons in cages mostly.

"My goal is to become that old person everyone is afraid to take out in public."

"I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended...please be patient...I will get to you shortly ."

HD Owners Tip #39:  "Although the manual doesn't mention it, some swearing seems to help most machines run a little better."

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 09:35:42 AM »

Incident #1:  While on motor patrol one night on Guam, I was in pursuit of a speeder.  Started rounding a corner in the road and my front tire hit a "rut" in the road and "guided" me towards the ditch.  I headed down into the ditch at about 55mph.  After turning my 750 Suzi into an off-road bike, I was starting to get the bike back under control and was ready to head back up on the road (with my heart in my throat, and some other foul unmentionable in my shorts) when the front wheel apparently struck a 6" high cement slab (I found it later during the day), throwing me over the handle bars taking the windshield along with me.  Didn't think I was too banged up until they took off my motor boots and then my shin blew up to about three times it's size.  No broken bones, but my pride was terribly broken.

Incident #2:  Was leaving work in Seattle, in early 80's, and ready to cross a road.  I looked left and right and didn't see anyone coming so I proceeded out into the intersection.  I failed to notice the invisible speeder that was around the bend to my left and as I got out into the intersection, he "t-boned" me and my sporty with a Toyota "Hi-Lux" pickup.  I don't remember anything of that accident, other than waking up in the hospital, with a semi-severe concussion, the tip of my second toe on my left foot sewn back on (apparently the force of the accident ripped the sole and tip of my boot off exposing my toes), and a "spider-web" fracture of my left ankle.   I'm alive today because I was wearing a helmet.  Witnesses said I was thrown straight up in the air and came down on the road and landed on my forehead (the resulting damage to the helmet, supported this claim).  Everything on the sporty was damaged except that old cast iron shovelhead engine.  Three days in the hospital.  Neuro-surgeon wouldn't release me until I could remember his last name, and his last name was the same as mine!!  Seattle PD officer called me a couple of days after I got home, which I thought was pretty cool, and asked me how I was.  He said I know this doesn't make things better, but, if it's any consolation, your sporty totalled the pickup, he couldn't even pull it off the road.  Apparently, according to the skid mark, he was estimated at going about 45-50 in a 25 mph area. 

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 02:03:22 PM »

EZRIDN, yours reminds me of one I'll reluctantly admit to.

in 1983 I rode with a friend (male) on the back of my Honda CB750K to a beach on Lake Erie in Canada (Sherkston) with a cooler full of food for a day of laying around and volunteering as swimsuit issue talent scouts.  Sign at the entrance to the beach said "No Motorcycles".  Since there were cars everywhere and I had a lot of stuff to carry I felt it was discriminatory and proceeded to a spot on the beach where we set up shop next to two good looking women who asked us if we had ice in the cooler.  We did.  They offered to make us vodka and teas if we shared our ice.  We did.  after a couple hours we decided to leave.  Had the bike all packed up and the girls were behind me in their car.  On the way off the beach the front tire hit a deep rut in the sand and we went over quickly.  I hit the wind shield of the fairing and my tooth went through my bottom lip.  My buddy hit his face on the back of my helmet and got a SERIOUS fat lip.  The girls pulled up beside us to see if we were all right and when they noticed I was bleeding all over the place said, "That's gross" and gave me a wad of napkins and drove away.  Now I know why motorcycles weren't allowed on the beach.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 25 queries.