Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Saddle Bag Locks  (Read 3777 times)

KozyK

• Razor Red, Gold Leaf Flames

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
Saddle Bag Locks
« on: March 16, 2008, 07:47:52 PM »

got HD locks for my 07 SERK. Installation says to put them on rear of bags. Thought I read somewhere here that you can replace the front buttons with the locks. Anybody done this? Read on the rear they interfere with the filler plates?
RIDE 2 work, work 2 RIDE

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Saddle Bag Locks
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 12:13:02 AM »

I expect the saddlebag locks will interfere with the filler plates. They will only work on the rear of the saddlebags and are a nice addition. The forward button becomes inoperable once you install the rear lock. I have heard of saddlebags being stolen by thieves using a flathead screwdriver to pry apart the end of the bail wire mounting stud, and in only a few seconds, bye, bye saddlebag. For additional security, remove the bail wire mounting studs and replace with a bolt, a few washers, a few nuts and a wing nut inside the saddlebag so even if somebody wants to steal your saddelbag, it won't be just a few second job and you can still take it off easy enough when you want to clean behind the saddlebags.

lilbear

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '06 VRSCSE2 - Yellow & Silver
    • CVO2: '08 FLHRSE4 - Black & Silver
    • CVO3: '11 FLHXSE2 - Black & Orange
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 07:05:44 AM »

I have installed these and they WILL interfere with the filler plates if you try to use the template as supplied by HD. The Road King Custom does not have these filler plates.  Simply remove 1" from the leading edge of the template and it works just fine.  If you need, I can email you a PDF of the modfied template.  Thinking while typing here, I'll scan it and post it in this thread later this morning.  The locks work great though.

KozyK

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 07:11:40 PM »

cable comes out of latch to the rear. how did you reroute it to the rear for locks and through the existing guide? read someone took out the buttons and replaced with the lock kit.
RIDE 2 work, work 2 RIDE

lilbear

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 08:52:49 AM »

cable comes out of latch to the rear. how did you reroute it to the rear for locks and through the existing guide? read someone took out the buttons and replaced with the lock kit.

You may be able to mount the locks in the area where the buttons are presently located, but.... It is tight there and actually using a key, you would eminently wind up scratching the side cover paint.  I tried positioning them there before mounting and it just didn't work for me.  I rerouted the cable in reverse fashion through the existing track and made an exit point in the track about halfway back for the cable to have a straight path to the lock mechanism.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 09:08:48 AM by lilbear »

harleyteam

• 1K CVO Member
  • RED BIKES RULE

• CVO1: 07 SERK - Razor Red
    • CVO2: 90 Heritage Classic (non cvo)
    • CVO3: 75 XLCH (non cvo)
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 10:43:57 PM »

ok,,,,,,  check this out.   http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=10828.45

I've had mine on for over a year, and have yet to have a problem :apple:

HA, HA, HA,  ,,,,, I LIKE IT !!!!!!!

life member - National HOG - NRA - NY Abate
member -CVOHarley - Nia. Falls Chapter HOG
              Red Knights NY21 - PGR

KozyK

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 12:50:56 AM »

You are the MAN. Knew I had read your installation earlier. Pictures are great That is the way I'll go. Thanks allot and hope to share one with you on the road someday.
RIDE 2 work, work 2 RIDE

lilbear

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 09:37:58 AM »

ok,,,,,,  check this out.   http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=10828.45

I've had mine on for over a year, and have yet to have a problem :apple:

Dennis,

Nice, clean install.  Thanks for posting those pics.  Looks like I'll be doing a little relocation of the locks project this week. Thanks again.

bikerbehaviorist

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 10:26:01 AM »

Wow harleyteam I wish I saw your install before doing mine. I have them at the rear and they do not interfere with the filler strip. I will try and post pics later.

56FLE

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 - FLHTCUSE6 "Big Blue"
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 01:24:36 PM »

bikerbehaviorist,

You have an 08 SERK, you used the 46287-04 Saddle bag lock kit?

I was in the dealer a couple weeks ago and they told me the part will not work on the 08 SERK. Guess they are wrong again.

Looking forward to the pictures.  :alcohol:

harleyteam

• 1K CVO Member
  • RED BIKES RULE

• CVO1: 07 SERK - Razor Red
    • CVO2: 90 Heritage Classic (non cvo)
    • CVO3: 75 XLCH (non cvo)
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 03:32:25 PM »

all the instructions tell you to mount them in the rear.  I have fairly large hands, and couldn't see myself squeezing my fingers between the filler panels. so I just relocated.  was very easy. :apple:

and I now have plenty of room.

HA, HA, HA,  ,,,,, I LIKE IT !!!!!!!

life member - National HOG - NRA - NY Abate
member -CVOHarley - Nia. Falls Chapter HOG
              Red Knights NY21 - PGR

56FLE

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 - FLHTCUSE6 "Big Blue"
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 08:40:52 PM »

Harleyteam,

I like how you mounted the locks where the original buttons were, facing forward. I think if someone has a problem reaching in with the small key you can consider buying 46063-98 Detachable Lock. It looks like the key is long enough to get your hand out past the bag and still work the lock. You also get the benifit of being able to lock your removeable sissy bar or tour pak.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441988919&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302291027&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302291027&bmUID=1205973357911&bmLocale=en_US

bikerbehaviorist

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 11:46:17 PM »

Here are the pics I said I would post. In the last one you can also see the cable and lock set up to keep thieves from stealing the whole bag. The first two pics are to keep folks from getting what is inside. Again I had no problems with the filler strips

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n126/bikerbehaviorist/baglock002a-1.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n126/bikerbehaviorist/baglock001a-1.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n126/bikerbehaviorist/baglock004a.jpg

ad2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 08:40:38 AM »

bikerbehavorist - where did you get the cable lock setup for inside the bag? Pretty neat.
2007 Screamin' Eagle Road King

Razor Red, Garmin 660 GPS, Passing Lights, Rear LED Run-Turn-Brake, Saddle Shields, Hard Bags, DeadCenter Fairing, XM Satelllite Stereo, Mini Beast II Air Horn, Neck Covers, C&C Fastback Seat, Wheel Dock Center Stand, Chubbys 575, 8" Recurve Shield

bikerbehaviorist

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 09:19:45 AM »

This link is old and there is no new listings, but email and see if they have more

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=130196086600
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 24 queries.