Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Too Broke to Ride  (Read 2975 times)

REGGAB

Too Broke to Ride
« on: March 26, 2008, 10:11:26 PM »

Until this afternoon, I never thought there was such a condition.  Got a friend at work, retired Marine, who rides an 06 black FLTRI.  This guy rides every frickin' day, rain or shine, single digit temps, and triple digit temps.  He loves to ride..........REALLY loves to ride.  And when I say ride, I don't mean just tooling around town, backroads, or back and forth to work.  Sure, he does those, but he rides hard.........like Howie!  WFO!  His bike has a little over 9K miles on it........it sat for 9 months last year..........and his front tire doesn't have any tits on it anywhere.  My front tire has 10K miles on it and still has two rows of tits on each side.  He loves the curves, and gets into them hard.  Floor boards are shown NO Mercy.
So, I took a break and walked outside today.  He was out there, just coming back from lunch.  He was locking his motorcycle and gathering his stuff.  He tells me the bike is now for sale.  Says he is too broke to ride.  He did better than 20 years in the Corps, has been through a knee and a hip replacement as well as lumbar fusion.
I'm broke too........not to his extent.......but I do live with pain.  I could never give up this stuff.  That is the main reason I got the Bitubos and AK-20s.  I can't imagine how he must be feeling.  It would break me down to have to give up something I love so much.   

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Re: Too Broke to Ride
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 10:17:45 PM »

Until this afternoon, I never thought there was such a condition.  Got a friend at work, retired Marine, who rides an 06 black FLTRI.  This guy rides every frickin' day, rain or shine, single digit temps, and triple digit temps.  He loves to ride..........REALLY loves to ride.  And when I say ride, I don't mean just tooling around town, backroads, or back and forth to work.  Sure, he does those, but he rides hard.........like Howie!  WFO!  His bike has a little over 9K miles on it........it sat for 9 months last year..........and his front tire doesn't have any tits on it anywhere.  My front tire has 10K miles on it and still has two rows of tits on each side.  He loves the curves, and gets into them hard.  Floor boards are shown NO Mercy.
So, I took a break and walked outside today.  He was out there, just coming back from lunch.  He was locking his motorcycle and gathering his stuff.  He tells me the bike is now for sale.  Says he is too broke to ride.  He did better than 20 years in the Corps, has been through a knee and a hip replacement as well as lumbar fusion.
I'm broke too........not to his extent.......but I do live with pain.  I could never give up this stuff.  That is the main reason I got the Bitubos and AK-20s.  I can't imagine how he must be feeling.  It would break me down to have to give up something I love so much.   
Great story and very well stated, REGGAB.  That's the passion for our scooters that many of us here share and I guess it's both a 'blessing' and a 'curse'.  But, we'll somehow figure out how to keep on keepin' on.  :2vrolijk_21: har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 10:57:16 PM »

that sucks out loud..i feel for the man

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 11:27:10 PM »

The sad reality is that all of us will have to give it up someday.  :-\  Hopefully that time is in the distant future.

I'm just now able to get the clutch lever pulled in (with some pain) after my hand surgery so I understand (to a small extent) how it is to want to ride but be limited physically. We're starting to get some nice days here in Southern Colorado, so I'm motivated to keep squeezing the exercise ball. I'm thinking 2 more weeks  ;) :2vrolijk_21:

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 11:29:29 PM »

The sad reality is that all of us will have to give it up someday.  :-\  Hopefully that time is in the distant future.

I'm just now able to get the clutch lever pulled in (with some pain) after my hand surgery so I understand (to a small extent) how it is to want to ride but be limited physically. We're starting to get some nice days here in Southern Colorado, so I'm motivated to keep squeezing the exercise ball. I'm thinking 2 more weeks  ;) :2vrolijk_21:

excellent!  glad to hear its going well

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 07:13:36 AM »

Says he is too broke to ride. 

Help me Henry?
To broke to ride?
What does that mean?
Is it physically broke or financially broke or mentally broke or what??

:nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

NukeIT

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 07:28:08 AM »

Too broke to ride??? It just doesn't compute. I have always found it cheaper to ride than to drive the land yachts. You do have to resist temptation to buy anything shiny or that claims to make you go faster thou.
"It's not a bike, It's a lifestyle!"

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 07:48:27 AM »

Henry,  your post hits home here.  Jamey has broken his back three different places, he has big spurs that curve into his spinal cord.  Someday, one of them will puncture the spinal cord and he will be paralyzed.  There is no surgery that can be done to stop the inevitable. He does get surgeries - a lot of different types, some to sever the nerves or epidural blocks to help reduce the amount of chronic pain he is in.  He takes pounds of narcotics every day to ward off the pain.  But he tries to keep as active as he can as this is what provides the core strength to hold himself up.  But there are many, many days where he is truly too broke to ride, or much of anything at all.  Sorry your friend has had to come to this point, when he is obviously young enough and healthy enough to Want to keep riding. 

REGGAB

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 08:51:58 AM »

Henry,  your post hits home here.  Jamey has broken his back three different places, he has big spurs that curve into his spinal cord.  Someday, one of them will puncture the spinal cord and he will be paralyzed.  There is no surgery that can be done to stop the inevitable. He does get surgeries - a lot of different types, some to sever the nerves or epidural blocks to help reduce the amount of chronic pain he is in.  He takes pounds of narcotics every day to ward off the pain.  But he tries to keep as active as he can as this is what provides the core strength to hold himself up.  But there are many, many days where he is truly too broke to ride, or much of anything at all.  Sorry your friend has had to come to this point, when he is obviously young enough and healthy enough to Want to keep riding. 

Candy,  It's situations like these that make me want to kick my own butt for whining about my pain.  I can tolerate my pain without narcotics and still ride relatively comfortably......thank God. My best wishes to Jamey and you.

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 09:01:22 AM »

Thanks for the post Henry.  It makes us all aware of the inevitable.  Go out and ride today while you still can.  I'm not broke yet, just dinged and scratched a little.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 09:05:51 AM »

Until this afternoon, I never thought there was such a condition.   Says he is too broke to ride.  He did better than 20 years in the Corps, has been through a knee and a hip replacement as well as lumbar fusion.

Back in the 80's my dad had to give it up on advice of the docs.  

I remember the last year I had with him sitting in hunting camp and him saying it may be his last hunting trip.  He knew more than we did.  He was hurtin' but never showed it.

Damn shame a guy that is still working age like Henry's pal can't ride anymore.  

I really feel for him.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 10:57:55 AM »

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 11:19:34 AM »

Here...

http://www.cobbsociety.com/

Thanks Mike, my brother is still recovering from a serious accident last spring and will likely never ride again (as long as the wife has anything to say).  I sent him the link so he can at least get a patch for his jacket
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 11:31:14 AM »

Thanks Mike, my brother is still recovering from a serious accident last spring and will likely never ride again (as long as the wife has anything to say).  I sent him the link so he can at least get a patch for his jacket

Yeah crashing sucks....I was off for a long time after a nasty lefty wreck in 1985, still have the marks...
I took another bunch of time away after a car crach, but I keep driving the cage too...

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 07:14:21 AM »

yep, after breaking neck in 98, doc told me to stay off motorcycles. :confused5:

it was obvious i had to give up off-road racing, but after a long healing/strengthening process (swimming helps alot), i have no prob riding 3-4 hrs ata time. as long as i dont run out of narcotics.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 24 queries.