Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: A scratch was bound to happen but.....  (Read 2378 times)

Keithincda

• Senior CVO Member
  • Almost there!

• CVO1: Teal 2005 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide
A scratch was bound to happen but.....
« on: May 06, 2008, 09:50:58 PM »

Well, as I posted in the Intro thread, I got my '05 SE Electra Glide last Thursday and rode it home about 150+ miles. Have had a blast and been fun showing it off. I went to the Harley dealer on Saturday to pick up some "stealth" highway pegs to match the floor boards plus need to get a snap put back on my leather jacket sleeve. Went with my riding buddy and we decided to stop at a popular watering hole on the way home for a quick beverage  :drink:
Parked our bikes and went inside to get the beverage before coming back out and seeing a group around my bike and the one next to it.
Most of the group, actually all, were members of a less than friendly "club" (public opinion) and they looked as if they had a guy cornered by the bikes and about to throttle him.
As we continued to watch, one of the "club members yelled out "Who's green Screaming Eagle?" Clearly, I immediately jumped up and asked what was going on. Seems the fellow they had "cornered" had rolled in on on his bike, nicked one next to mine, hit mine knocking it completely over and into/onto one belonging to a "club" member.  :oops:
So in the amount of time it took to walk inside order a beer and walk back out my bike, which I had had for a total of 3 days, was laid on it's side and picked back up by members of the "club". I was also told they were in the process of obtaining the gentleman's insurance information and would return with a copy of everything for me shortly. 
Turning my attention to my cycle, I could see a serious scratch on the right saddle bag, a dent in the front fender, a scratch on the lower front fairing. Without going into the mundane details of the procedure used to get the insurance information from the gentleman, I'll just say I was given it and the interrogation continued.
The liable party's insurance company has been very receptive to fixing my cycle and as of about 6PM today the costis set at about $4k for all new parts rather than re-paint.
Had my Road King for 3 years and 25k miles and nat a scratch, dent or ding. 3 days withe the SEEG and this happens. I do like teal though...   

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
Re: A scratch was bound to happen but.....
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 09:57:33 PM »

What a nightmare!  The most careful thing I do is parking near other bikes.  What an idiot to be that clumsy.  I'm glad it''s working out and you get to avoid the deductible besides!  I've got a feeling you don't want to know about interrogation techniques!
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Keithincda

• Senior CVO Member
  • Almost there!

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 10:12:44 PM »

I hesitated stopping at this place, had not been there in over a year. Bunch a wanna be's usually there, parking sucks (it's on a slight incline) and this time it was pretty packed and a tigh fit...I knew better dammit!
The adjuster has agreed it's new, even if only to me, and has been very quick to agree to replacement of the damaged parts with new. His client had called 1st thing yesterday to tell him I'd be calling. I have no doubt I'll be easier to deal with than the "club" guys and the numbnut who hit me has bigger problems than my claim on his insurance.  :nervous:

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 11:35:35 PM »

A scratch? now there is an understatement.

Here is the link for all "colored" parts for your bike. Your paint code is 05BSK

BTW, Teal was lowest quantity for the 05 SEEG, only 693 units.

http://chicagoharley.com/shop/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=05bsk&osCsid=df5f9347ec294f5d0f76ff6882d0da02

Take the check, order the parts and do it yourself. Get the parts 20% off.

You will probably be able to sell every damaged part on eBay so you should come out ahead.

You'll need the extra money to cover all the extras that you will now learn you need  :2vrolijk_21:

Welcome to the site.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 01:19:46 AM »

Sorry to hear about the damage.  But sounds like you where lucky the "club" guys where there and stepped in on your behalf.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

07 CVO

• Elite CVO Member
  • SCREAMIN EAGLE!! Top of the Food chain!

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 01:31:01 AM »

Keith,

Sorry to hear about your bike issue, but at least give the "club guys" credit they got the guy who hit your bikes insurance info for you and didn't start crap with you for being at their bar. Yeah it sucks that it happened but it could have been much worse..

Mark
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Black and Orange
SE A/C, SERT, Samson Caliber True Duels
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR (SOLD)
2008 VW R32 #3719/5000 United Grey
2008 VW GTI

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 01:35:44 AM »

Man, I know the feeling.

When my bike shipped out here it got nicked but nothing as excitement filled as your stop for a beverage.  Glad to hear it seems to be working out.

Keithincda

• Senior CVO Member
  • Almost there!

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 10:55:10 AM »

I know i can do all these parts myself and I've read threads here about the discounts. I already told the adjuster I wanted to do this myself and I am not sure he's willing to let me. He wants to have the dealer in Spokane do it. We'll be discussing this agin today to work it out. As I've also mentioned, I've a family member who is one of the best Harley techs in the state of WA that I can rely on for help as well.
I'll try and attach a couple pics to this post

Keithincda

• Senior CVO Member
  • Almost there!

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 10:56:54 AM »

the hard bag.....

Keithincda

• Senior CVO Member
  • Almost there!

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 11:00:43 AM »

My understanding of "clubs" is that the Prospects are supposed to watch the bikes. I think some one's gonna be disciplined (though I'm glad they did all the "dirty work" for me and picked up my bike) once all is said and done.  :nixweiss:

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 11:07:03 AM »

Sorry to hear about the mishap. I hope everything will be in order for you asap. I used to have the same color on my 2005 SEEG, one of 693!

Ride safely,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 01:52:04 PM »

I already told the adjuster I wanted to do this myself and I am not sure he's willing to let me. He wants to have the dealer in Spokane do it.

Don't know about your state, but in New Jersey the insurance company cannot dictate who you have do the work. They can't can't even "not" work with a valid shop.

Of course if you use one of their approved repair facilities things might flow easy, and I am sure there is a reason that he has a particular dealer in mind to simply "bolt on" high end replacement parts.

Get the estimate from the adjuster, make sure it has all the correct pieces and that the hourly rate and time is correct and insist on the check.

The fact that we can buy pre-painted parts really changes the scope of work here.

Tourpak damaged? Could be an oppurtunity to get the King tourpak.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

icybay

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: (2) 2004 SEEG B&B's ECoast & WCoast
    • CVO2: 2000 FLTRSEI B/O/W
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 02:41:43 PM »

Keh,  You were in good hands. The Regional President of the "club" rides a B&B 04 SEEG!!!

Keithincda

• Senior CVO Member
  • Almost there!

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 03:40:17 PM »

ICYBAY,
Thanks for the info, one of the club members I spoke with mentioned that another member or two had SEEG'S. I appreciate the help they gave me and the respect shown by picking my bike up, I'd have done the same if this happened to someone in front of me.
Still hard to believe the knucklehead who hit all of them is/was even riding. Heard from a couple of guys (which makes it hearsay?!)who had followed him in from the Cataldo swap meet that he darned near got flattened on I-90 by a semi. He wasn't (in my opinion) intoxicated but he wasn't all there either. Ride on.....

Lzyboy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Black and Gray 08
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2008, 07:54:29 PM »

Sorry about the bike man, it sucks when baby Jr. gets hurt. It tears a part of your soul out. Glad you got the info and you are driving on. My buddies and I at Bragg were invited to ride with an up coming group. Good guy's from around the block. Went outside to check on the bikes and saw members talking in the corner. My neighbor came over politely and asked to leave the A.O. and the bikes are fine.

Any whooo!!!! great guys and nice place, had to leave due to PCS. Put everything in order and drive on...
Life time member VFW 7450 San Diego! Love your freedom, Thank a Vet!
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 24 queries.