Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: What makes MSRP a good deal?  (Read 4810 times)

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
What makes MSRP a good deal?
« on: June 04, 2008, 03:21:34 PM »

Who the heck decided that MSRP is a good price.  That's what I paid, but I paid tooooooo much!     :soapbox:
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
Re: What makes MSRP a good deal?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 03:23:22 PM »

Who the heck decided that MSRP is a good price.  That's what I paid, but I paid tooooooo much!     :soapbox:

not nec. a good deal..but a better deal than MSRP + 3k  like some of these sumbitches will try and get

kb

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 serk twilight/cobalt blue
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 03:50:21 PM »

Shannon, I think a good deal is when you walk away with any product that YOU wanted to buy at a reasonable price.Any SE at msrp is good. A Big Mac for $4.39 stinks. Diesel fuel at $5.19 per gal is thievery.Just my opinion. KB
kb

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 03:56:10 PM »

not nec. a good deal..but a better deal than MSRP + 3k  like some of these sumbitches will try and get
If you been buying HD's for long MSRP is way better than the price 5 or more years ago. :2vrolijk_21:
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 04:28:20 PM »

Somewhere along the line (IMO) Harley-Davidson issued an edict to their dealers that they were not to sell Harley-Davidson motorcycles below MSRP. Obviously when demand outstripped production this proved quite easy for the dealers to do and some started selling above MSRP for high demand models. THEN, with the advent of the CVO line, selling for above MSRP became accepted practice. I paid $1k above MSRP for my original 03 SERK because demand far outstripped supply. When I bought my 05 SE VROD, the demand was strong, but not so strong that I was able to get the dealer to sell me the bike at MSRP AND, give me 20% on the SERT, Pipes and breather set-up I put on the bike. My 07 Road Glide I paid MSRP, but the dealer ate the shipping costs plus the doc fees AND, again gave me 20% on P&A that I bought as part of the deal. Supply and demand are the biggest factors. Location has a huge effect on those. CVO H-D's don't sell as well in small towns in sparsely populated areas where income is below average. I could have bought an 07 SEUC for below MSRP in Maine when I was there in November of 06. Bottom line, you make the best deal you can at the time and place you buy. As a rule however, if you pay MSRP for any H-D, you're not going to open the paper the next day and see one for $1,000 less than what you just paid. At least not yet. With the economy as stagnant as it is, it should be interesting to see what happens when the 2009's come out. My thinking is most dealers will still have a lot of 2008's on the floor.

B B

RioGlide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 SE Road King - sold
    • CVO2: 07 VRSCDX - Night Rod Special - sold
    • CVO3: 11 FLRTUSE - Rio Red
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 04:37:45 PM »

Somewhere along the line (IMO) Harley-Davidson issued an edict to their dealers that they were not to sell Harley-Davidson motorcycles below MSRP. Obviously when demand outstripped production this proved quite easy for the dealers to do and some started selling above MSRP for high demand models. THEN, with the advent of the CVO line, selling for above MSRP became accepted practice. I paid $1k above MSRP for my original 03 SERK because demand far outstripped supply. When I bought my 05 SE VROD, the demand was strong, but not so strong that I was able to get the dealer to sell me the bike at MSRP AND, give me 20% on the SERT, Pipes and breather set-up I put on the bike. My 07 Road Glide I paid MSRP, but the dealer ate the shipping costs plus the doc fees AND, again gave me 20% on P&A that I bought as part of the deal. Supply and demand are the biggest factors. Location has a huge effect on those. CVO H-D's don't sell as well in small towns in sparsely populated areas where income is below average. I could have bought an 07 SEUC for below MSRP in Maine when I was there in November of 06. Bottom line, you make the best deal you can at the time and place you buy. As a rule however, if you pay MSRP for any H-D, you're not going to open the paper the next day and see one for $1,000 less than what you just paid. At least not yet. With the economy as stagnant as it is, it should be interesting to see what happens when the 2009's come out. My thinking is most dealers will still have a lot of 2008's on the floor.

B B

Well put!!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 04:45:19 PM »

...... With the economy as stagnant as it is, it should be interesting to see what happens when the 2009's come out. My thinking is most dealers will still have a lot of 2008's on the floor.

B B
I'm thinking some of these "Mega-Dealerships" that have come along lately with the required floor/building space the MoCo has required will be closing up. :nixweiss: Especially if they don't adapt to the new requirements to get peoples money........ Good deals (pricing on bikes, service, and P&A's), and most importantly (for those that are lacking) better customer service. Those that don't will be boarded up.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 04:51:54 PM »

I'm thinking some of these "Mega-Dealerships" that have come along lately with the required floor/building space the MoCo has required will be closing up. :nixweiss: Especially if they don't adapt to the new requirements to get peoples money........ Good deals (pricing on bikes, service, and P&A's), and most importantly (for those that are lacking) better customer service. Those that don't will be boarded up.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

San Diego H-D has closed two satelite locations and BIGGS just closed it's original location in Oceanside and now has only the San Marcos Shop (which was built from an empty WALMART)  Sweetwater H-D (formerly Southcoast) has a brand new very large building and El Cajon H-D is expanding. So within San Diego county you have four H-D dealerships all at different junctures business wise. My take on the situation is that San Diego H-D and BIGGS aren't doing anything to expand their customer base and are actually losing customers. El Cajon has a good rep for service but the shop was small and needed more room so that seems the logical explanation there. Sweetwater is very aggresively courting new customers with specials, great service and a very customer friendly facility. I guess if there's an 09 SERG, we'll see who wants my business the most

B B

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 05:10:59 PM »

Put simply, if you could buy gas right now for $2.99/gallon, you'd think you found the mother load.

Same thing as other have said, just change gas to read Harley.

:D  :D  :D
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 05:25:56 PM »

Put simply, if you could buy gas right now for $2.99/gallon, you'd think you found the mother load.

Same thing as other have said, just change gas to read Harley.

:D  :D  :D

Buy a Chrysler now, get guaranteed $2.99/gal gas for 3 years up to 12K mi/yr! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 05:27:15 PM »

Buy a Chrysler now, get guaranteed $2.99/gal gas for 3 years up to 12K mi/yr! ;)

Hoist! 8)

yea

all you forfeit is like 10-15 grand cash back incentives

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 05:32:30 PM »

Hoist! 8)

Only hitch you have to go back to the selling dealer to get it :)

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 05:34:19 PM »

Several of the dealers in my area are still willing to deal. Over the past three years I have bought two new scoots. All were willing to come off MSRP as well offer incentives. However, the dealer that is 2 miles from me will only do MSRP. In the 25 years I've been riding Harley's, I've never bought one from them, regardless of how close they are. BTW, they have a lot of new bikes (07 - 08) for sale.
I guess it is depends on the dealership.

JW

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 05:35:48 PM »

Only hitch you have to go back to the selling dealer to get it :)

supposedly  they give you a Voyager Card....  which is probably the biggest PITA way to pay for fuel I have ever experienced ....  painful

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 05:43:03 PM »

You only PAID TOO MUCH, if it's for something you really didn't want in the first place  :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 24 queries.