Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: What makes MSRP a good deal?  (Read 4811 times)

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
Re: What makes MSRP a good deal?
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 10:49:59 AM »

Somewhere along the line (IMO) Harley-Davidson issued an edict to their dealers that they were not to sell Harley-Davidson motorcycles below MSRP. Obviously when demand outstripped production this proved quite easy for the dealers to do and some started selling above MSRP for high demand models. THEN, with the advent of the CVO line, selling for above MSRP became accepted practice. I paid $1k above MSRP for my original 03 SERK because demand far outstripped supply. When I bought my 05 SE VROD, the demand was strong, but not so strong that I was able to get the dealer to sell me the bike at MSRP AND, give me 20% on the SERT, Pipes and breather set-up I put on the bike. My 07 Road Glide I paid MSRP, but the dealer ate the shipping costs plus the doc fees AND, again gave me 20% on P&A that I bought as part of the deal. Supply and demand are the biggest factors. Location has a huge effect on those. CVO H-D's don't sell as well in small towns in sparsely populated areas where income is below average. I could have bought an 07 SEUC for below MSRP in Maine when I was there in November of 06. Bottom line, you make the best deal you can at the time and place you buy. As a rule however, if you pay MSRP for any H-D, you're not going to open the paper the next day and see one for $1,000 less than what you just paid. At least not yet. With the economy as stagnant as it is, it should be interesting to see what happens when the 2009's come out. My thinking is most dealers will still have a lot of 2008's on the floor.

B B
It is illegal for the MOCO to dictate selling price directly. They can however strongly suggest a price and they can legally stop the advertising of prices below msrp, this is called map pricing. You all seem to think that doing business is cheap. I can tell you that average gross profit needs to be 30 percent to try and stay in business. The government is going to take 5 to 8 percent off the top regardless of profit or loss that is just part of the picture, if you think dealing with the MOCO is easy  anti up 2 million and stop griping. [ were not talking credit we are talking cash] You should realize the dealer pays for every thing in his store , racking , signage , stuff he might give away every thing is billed to him by the MOCO. I don't mean to sound like the dealer can do no wrong but to have the MOCO dictate every aspect of your business after putting out as much money as they do you should expect for them to make a fair return in exchange.
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2008, 11:23:30 AM »

It is illegal for the MOCO to dictate selling price directly. They can however strongly suggest a price and they can legally stop the advertising of prices below msrp, this is called map pricing. You all seem to think that doing business is cheap. I can tell you that average gross profit needs to be 30 percent to try and stay in business. The government is going to take 5 to 8 percent off the top regardless of profit or loss that is just part of the picture, if you think dealing with the MOCO is easy  anti up 2 million and stop griping. [ were not talking credit we are talking cash] You should realize the dealer pays for every thing in his store , racking , signage , stuff he might give away every thing is billed to him by the MOCO. I don't mean to sound like the dealer can do no wrong but to have the MOCO dictate every aspect of your business after putting out as much money as they do you should expect for them to make a fair return in exchange.

Bigdog,
Everybody understands that the dealers are in the business to make a profit, and if they can, a huge one.  That's not the issue.  Auto dealerships are basically the same way, but you can deal with them.  Harley dealerships still go off of the old 80's supply and demand theory of selling motorcycles.  When the demand is higher than the supply, we can pretty much charge what we want and you'll still buy it. (a prime example of that thinking is the outrageous gas prices we're paying now.)  Up until the housing market burst and the economy started sliding, the dealers could sell at or above MSRP and they knew they would sell...unfortunately, for the dealers, that is not the case today.  The supply is larger than the demand, and the dealers pay up front for those motorcycles and they are inventory that's costing them money the longer they sit in the store.  Some of the dealerships are starting to realize they have to budge off of the MSRP bandwagon to sell their inventory now...that's why I shopped around when I bought my Street Glide and got it from a dealership (smaller one) that had approximated 350 bikes in inventory and they weren't moving.  I got the bike for just about $1400 less than sticker.  But even this dealership had that attitude that if you didn't press them, and just assumed that they were like any Harley dealership and would only do MSRP, then that's what they would do.  You had to bring the issue up, which I did and got the previously mentioned discount.  I don't really shed any tears for a dealship if they can't get MSRP for a bike anymore, considering a dealership is the whole package now; bikes, service, accessories, and clothing.   With clothing and accessories having at least a 30-40% markup, and getting $80.00 an hour for service, they are more than making up their profit margin if they sell bikes for under MSRP.  Some dealers will tell you they have to sell the bike for MSRP, but will give you free shipping, setup, and a sizeable discount on accessories, which in their mind still makes them an MSRP dealer and you feel that you're getting a good deal.  But when you get the sizeable discount (usually 20%) on the accessories, they are still making a profit on the accessories, PLUS they are charging you $80/hour to install those accessories, (which total time to install may or may not get "padded" a little), so in the long run, the dealer maybe gives up shipping and a little profit on the accessories, but has you back as a repeat customer cuz you thought you got treated better by them than any of those strictly MSRP, won't budge, dealerships.  It's all good market and how you present it, but trust me, don't cry for the dealers, cuz they are still making their profits.  The motorcycle industry is considered, although I don't necessarily subscribe to this thought, a luxury industry.  So when the market softens and money gets tight, the first things that suffer are the luxury items (bikes, boats, jet skis, ATV's, RV's, etc.).  The HD dealerships during this time of financial "stress" are going to have to get creative and come off of their "MSRP high-horses" or they won't be in business much longer.  (Unless they run a "Disney World" environment like "Fat Bastard" does in Daytona.)   JMHO and not meant to be taken seriously, unless you want to.

:devil: 

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2008, 12:15:44 PM »

Woah Dude, take a chill pill and join the friendly discussion. We just toss out ideas and opinions on this site - - or at least that's what I do. Your post above sounds like you own an H-D dealership and we're just a bunch of ungrateful, a$$hole customers

B B
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 12:35:46 PM by SPIDERMAN »

Copperhead

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2008, 12:30:41 PM »

I have no sympathy for the dealers at all.  I figure if you can't stand the heat then get out of the kitchen.

Besides, when I show up there and see the owner slide out of 1 of his Corvettes, or 3/4 ton Diesel 4x4's, or his custom bike, or his touring bike or any of a pile of other vehicles he has sitting in his driveway.....I find it hard to think that they aren't making a TON off of the business.  Sure, he could have sat on his wallet and not got in the game but what I find is that the whole business has changed.  Used to be able to get a mechanic to come outside to have a look at your bike....now...they want you to book an appointment for everything...used to be able to get a decent discount on stuff...now...damn...like pulling teeth.  I'm sure there are still some good ones...but it seems they are all doing business on the same model now.

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2008, 12:49:52 PM »

Woah Dude, take a chill pill and join the friendly discussion. We just toss out ideas and opinions on this site - - or at least that's what I do. Your post above sounds like you own an H-D dealership and we're just a bunch of ungrateful, a$$hole customers

B B

Sorry if the post came out harsh. I do own a business that is probably one of the most competitive , power tools. Most people don't under stand that 30 and 40 percent is not the margin on alot of product , try 10 to 20 percent .
I do apologize for coming across so aggressive. Some time talk to the GM at the dealership and talk about what MOCO demands from them . Most dealers are just off freeway's , they were forced by HD to buy and develop that land at there  expense to keep the franchise , HD totally runs them and decides what they can and can not sell.
I am a customer like all of you but maybe have a little more understanding of the cost of doing business than some.
Again I didn't mean to be so harsh ,  and the Crown Royal chill pill worked great Thanks. ??? :-\
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2008, 12:53:37 PM »

Sorry if the post came out harsh. I do own a business that is probably one of the most competitive , power tools. Most people don't under stand that 30 and 40 percent is not the margin on alot of product , try 10 to 20 percent .
I do apologize for coming across so aggressive. Some time talk to the GM at the dealership and talk about what MOCO demands from them . Most dealers are just off freeway's , they were forced by HD to buy and develop that land at there  expense to keep the franchise , HD totally runs them and decides what they can and can not sell.
I am a customer like all of you but maybe have a little more understanding of the cost of doing business than some.
Again I didn't mean to be so harsh ,  and the Crown Royal chill pill worked great Thanks. ??? :-\

Yep, running a business is a challenge no question... 
but some ( not all) dealerships have forgotten that customers pay their bills and maybe ought to be treated with respect.....
i dont begrudge a fair price....  but the 'tude that comes from many will drive me away

anyway...  its not worth any of us getting too worked up over

have a good one!

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Kermit
    • CVO2: 2015 Victory Ness Magnum #31 of 299
    • CVO3: 2013 Can-Am Spyder RTS
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2008, 01:23:34 PM »

I doubt if you will find any Dealer sympathy here.  Owning a dealership is "owning a dealership" it doesn't matter what the name is on the sign post.

My father has worked for a John Deere dealership for 20 years.  JD has told them where the building will be located, how big, and what equipment/parts/extras they will have on hand.  A few years ago they told the owner he either needed to expand and open multiple dealerships or get out.  He refused, and suddenly he was out.  Now, considering there is a Cat dealer just down the road, do you think they can get away with only charging MSRP on their equipment.

We've said it a thousand times here, its all about the market.  For several years the market supported MSRP and above pricing on H-D bikes.  But it appears that the market is turning now and dealers will need to adapt to survive.

Oh, and I believe margin on parts and clothing is well above 30-40%.

JMO

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2008, 01:45:05 PM »

Margins on core products like bikes might be lower. But those products lead to customers walking thru the door. They generate sales in Parts, Accessories, Clothing, etc, all at substantially higher margins. I agree, no sympathy for the greedy dealer! I'll do businees with a qualified place first (which the dealer is not). Price is secondary. But they are overpriced and underqualified. Just cause it says HD on the door doesn't guarranty you anything but paying more. Nope, no sympathy from me. The qualified guy at a fair price, gets my business everytime. That's what you call a win-win situation. Unlike HD dealers! They named 2 streets after them though. One Way and Dead End!!! :soapbox: ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

crazybob

• 2018 Limited CVO Utra SCREAMIN EAGLE !!!!!!!
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Let's go RIDE!!!!!
    • MD

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2008, 07:46:24 PM »

All I have to say is that I just got back from Florida on vacation and a certain HD Dealer wanted $50,000 for a new 08 CVO Ultra. They had 4 of them. I said to the guy will people buy them for that much, he said they will be gone by next weekend. So for me MSRP $34,995 was a great deal on mine..... :bananarock:

Bob
18 CVO Ultra limited just picked up!!!

Georgehjr

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE CVO™ Road Glide® Ultra-Rio Red/Black/ Ember-Triked Out
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic #1408/Triked Out
    • CVO3: 2010 FLHXSE TEQUILA SUNRISE/Not A CVO-2002 Heritage Softail---
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2008, 09:29:56 PM »

If we  were at the same dealer. world largest,  I assume those are the same 4 I saw May 1, They gave me that line also, in March and again in April this spring,  Hope to hell people read this forum and others like it so they don't get 'screwed' by the fat basted......... It end up scaring me into paying over list, not much but over... and driving 500 miles round trip to get my bike, and damm the dealer only 45 miles now has it at MSRP plus free stuff......... Oh well it's only money  and if if I don't spend it my kid will .........
The one with the most Toys , WINS !!!

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2008, 12:31:51 PM »

If we  were at the same dealer. world largest,  I assume those are the same 4 I saw May 1, They gave me that line also, in March and again in April this spring,  Hope to hell people read this forum and others like it so they don't get 'screwed' by the fat basted......... It end up scaring me into paying over list, not much but over... and driving 500 miles round trip to get my bike, and damm the dealer only 45 miles now has it at MSRP plus free stuff......... Oh well it's only money  and if if I don't spend it my kid will .........

I love this chit. Here's a new member to the forum and he's sayin what we've been sayin for years. So, my question is, how does Mr FB stay in business ?

B B

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2008, 12:37:32 PM »

I love this chit. Here's a new member to the forum and he's sayin what we've been sayin for years. So, my question is, how does Mr FB stay in business ?

B B
My guess is that he owns so many shops that it becomes that he is the only "local" shop in town.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2008, 12:59:42 PM »

B B

In short... the guy is smart. Like him or not, he has been able to cater to a specific segment of the population, a very well off segment, that doesn't need to dicker. He sells a turn-key experience to people for whom price is not a big issue.

I only wish I had the ability to do the same. Then y'all would be hating me too, but I wouldn't care because I'd be laughing my butt off on the way to the bank.

Man I love capitalism! :2vrolijk_21:

:indian_chief:

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2008, 01:07:24 PM »

In short... the guy is smart. Like him or not, he has been able to cater to a specific segment of the population, a very well off segment, that doesn't need to dicker. He sells a turn-key experience to people for whom price is not a big issue.

I only wish I had the ability to do the same. Then y'all would be hating me too, but I wouldn't care because I'd be laughing my butt off on the way to the bank.

Man I love capitalism! :2vrolijk_21:

:indian_chief:

Amazing the differences in people with a lot of money. Some got it by being tight as clams and you can't pry an nickel more out of em then they feel something is worth. Other's came by their money by other means (easy?) and seem to think that if you don't pay a bunch for things they're not worth anything. I was watching the idiot box one time and they got talking about 1,000 thread count sheets. The celebrities on the show were saying they were paying $1,200 a set for Egyptian cotten 1,000 TC sheets. I didn't know what the hell they were talking about, so I did some checking and decided I wanted some. I paid $179 delivered from ShopNBC for a set. Loved em and bought some more finding even better deals by looking around. So are the $1,200 ones better than my $179 ones ?  I doubt it.

B B

I know I'm weird, turning a motorcycle thread into a Martha Stewart adventure, but hey, boring I'm not.   :huepfenjump3:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2008, 01:19:39 PM »

I'd like to propose a moment of silence for all those poor Harley dealers who may have to give up their third home due to the current motorcycle market.  I swear their situation brings tears to my eyes every time I think about it. :(

Ok, back to reality.  Before anyone cries too hard, I'd like to suggest they go visit the friendly Ford or Chevy dealer and ask them about total facility investment, vehicle and parts inventory costs, special service tool requirements, data processing requirements, insurance costs, and all the other costs associated with an automotive franchise.  Your local Harley dealer isn't even in the same ballpark.  But, the Harley dealer enjoys a built in gross at MSRP of approximately 18-20% versus 5-10% for a typical domestic automobile.  And the auto dealer seldom can sell for MSRP, since every Tom, Dick, and Harry can get full details on his true cost and expects to buy for no more than invoice.

Here's an example I'm personally familiar with.

Ford Edge Limited AWD         MSRP $32500       Invoice $30600     Gross before incentives  $1900
Harley 2005 SEEG                MSRP $30000       Invoice $24000     Gross before incentives  $6000

I was going to say more, but the tears are keeping me from seeing what I'm typing.  Maybe later.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 24 queries.