Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: How often do you do IT?  (Read 7340 times)

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
Re: How often do you do IT?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2008, 09:04:41 AM »

Synthetic oil is good for 10,000 miles in a car.  HD's recommendation of an oil change every 5,000 is conservative and based on higher operating temps than a car.  Don't worry, the oil doesn't suddenly turn to rusty water at 5,001 miles.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2008, 11:30:02 AM »

You change oil because it's dirty and has contaminants in it . 15k I guarantee is not good, talk to someone that works on engines and see what they say.
Saw the inside of a motor with 30k on it and had never been changed. Looked like a 100k, full of thick gunk years ago. Taught me the importance of changing oil.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2008, 11:49:31 AM »

6 quarts of AMSOIL and a Filter cost me about $50. Considering I will more than likely spend that much on beer the first night out on a road trip or rally, I always drop all of my fluids before leaving for any run. If my bike; most of which generally have more than $40k tied up in them isn't worth $50 then I've got my head up my rectum and any further discussion is wasted anyway. This is getting like my kicking the horse on the dyno threads about ET sheets but I'll say it again anyway

OIL IS CHEAP, MOTORS ARE NOT

B B

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2008, 11:50:32 AM »

6 quarts of AMSOIL and a Filter cost me about $50. Considering I will more than likely spend that much on beer the first night out on a road trip or rally, I always drop all of my fluids before leaving for any run. If my bike; most of which generally have more than $40k tied up in them isn't worth $50 then I've got my head up my rectum and any further discussion is wasted anyway. This is getting like my kicking the horse on the dyno threads about ET sheets but I'll say it again anyway

B B

agree....   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2008, 11:58:32 AM »

B B

Wife does that at every gas stop. :huepfenlol2:

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2008, 12:00:05 PM »

B B
I am always amazed how a guy will spend 30k on a bike then cheap out on it's life blood. :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2008, 05:13:33 PM »

Synthetic oil is good for 10,000 miles in a car.  HD's recommendation of an oil change every 5,000 is conservative and based on higher operating temps than a car.  Don't worry, the oil doesn't suddenly turn to rusty water at 5,001 miles.

Yeah but the manufacturer's recommendations on oil changes is more about "cost of ownership" then service.

That is why every manual has a "severe duty statement".

Base maintenance costs on 7500 oil and 15000 filter change and the maintenance cost over the projected life of the vehicle is significantly lower then the severe duty recommendation (everyday driving) of the the same lifetime.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2008, 08:45:02 PM »

You change oil because it's dirty and has contaminants in it . 15k I guarantee is not good, talk to someone that works on engines and see what they say.

My cousins a tech at BMW, thats the recommended interval they do on all the cars with BMW synthetic oil.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2008, 08:52:06 PM »

How do you explain on a motor with 10k , 15k or  more why some oil changes the magnetic plug is clean, others there's a bit of grit on it ? I can't, so that's why I like to start any trip with fresh fluids, clean plugs and a clean AC. Peace of mind vice a piece of paper (surveys etc)

B B

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2008, 09:09:48 PM »

How do you explain on a motor with 10k , 15k or  more why some oil changes the magnetic plug is clean, others there's a bit of grit on it ? I can't, so that's why I like to start any trip with fresh fluids, clean plugs and a clean AC. Peace of mind vice a piece of paper (surveys etc)

B B

It is cheap insurance.   :2vrolijk_21:

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2008, 11:23:05 PM »

My cousins a tech at BMW, thats the recommended interval they do on all the cars with BMW synthetic oil.
I believe something got lost in the translation . Maybe he's talking trans. fluid. No one will ever convince me a manufacturer suggests that far between oil changes. I have dealt Professionally with lubrication makers and that just don't fly.
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2008, 11:32:30 PM »

I believe something got lost in the translation . Maybe he's talking trans. fluid. No one will ever convince me a manufacturer suggests that far between oil changes. I have dealt Professionally with lubrication makers and that just don't fly.

BD, it makes me queasy to read the current specs but several automakers are giving 10-12k miles intervals now.  BMW really is giving 15k miles.  There is a caveat.  They've got an onboard monitoring system that checks oil quality a couple of different ways and it must agree for the extended service interval to be seen as legit.  Take a look at these for current models though:

REGGAB

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2008, 11:43:20 PM »

Happy Saturday. A group of us are going on a 2500 mile trip for the week. I have about 1300 miles on the synthetic oil now. I think it's OK to do this trip without changing oil? Am I correct? Kevin
  Yeah...........I'd probably do it, but my norm is to change every 2500 miles as a standard practice.  Heck, I in Lynchburg this weekend, I was talking with an AMSOIL rep who wants me to give him my burnt oil so he can run it it in his scooter.  I know I change sooner than the spec says, but that is my choice, and dammit, I'll do it if I want to.  But..........if I was in your situation, I'd make the trip, then as soon as I pulled in the driveway at mission completion, I'd drop the oil............before I unpacked the bike.  That's just me though, and I've been known to be just a bit extreme.

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2008, 11:47:47 PM »

Yup,  BMW is stepping right up to the plate.  My 740 is 15k on the motor, and never on the tranny.  The tech says, "not to worry mate, the light will come on and the lady will tell you to come see me!, but you'll have sold her long before then..."
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

Sean M Cary

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2008, 06:36:35 AM »

B B

Holy Crap again BB - this is twice we agree...

I am religious about 3k on all my rolling stock - BUT am running 15k Mobil Extended in the wifes KIA while I am on deployments and it seems to be working fine, just over 100k on it and it runs decent.  Still LOOKS nasty, but that is mostly due to my two pigs, err I mean kids.

Sean
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 25 queries.