Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: How often do you do IT?  (Read 7339 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: How often do you do IT?
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2008, 08:41:31 AM »

"The times, they are a changin'."

One of the problems many have (including me) is in applying old "knowledge" to new situations.  Back when many of us first learned about vehicle maintenance, the metalurgy, design, machining tolerances, and the lubricants themselves were totally unlike those we see today.  When some of us first started messing with this stuff, many vehicles didn't even have oil filters.  No wonder 2000 mile changes were common.  And the oil back then didn't even remotely resemble the high tech mixtures you find on the shelf today.

How many remember when you were supposed to change the automatic trans fluid and pickup screen every two years?  With all the slippage of the old designs, it was necessary both due to heat degradation of the fluid as well as to flush all the clutch debris.  Now, even though everything runs hotter, the trans fluid isn't even mentioned in the maintenance schedule on many vehicles.  In fact, many transmissions are sealed and don't even have a fill tube and dipstick.  And overall reliability has been steadily improving at the same time that maintenance requirements have been extended or eliminated.  It's called progress, and in some cases it really is.

When in doubt, refer to the documentation from the manufacturer of the vehicle.  Those are the folks who have a vested interest in your satisfaction with that vehicle, not the folks from an oil company or additive company. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2008, 09:39:22 AM »

Don't tell any body but I stand corrected. I will still change my oil on the HD every 2500 miles and on my 4 Wheelers every 3000 miles. I have never had an issue with my rolling stock do to lack of maintenance .Being as I only put 5000 to 7000 miles on my bike per year it's cheep insurance. :nixweiss:
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2008, 09:46:45 AM »

I believe something got lost in the translation . Maybe he's talking trans. fluid. No one will ever convince me a manufacturer suggests that far between oil changes. I have dealt Professionally with lubrication makers and that just don't fly.

Just look at the books.

And again, extended service intervals came out a long time ago, around the time the US manufacturers started seeing sales move across the ponds.

It had nothing to do with technical improvements, it was based on cost of ownership.

Change the at 7500 and the filter at 15000 is a savings over oil and filter every 3000.

Quick math, over 75000 miles

every 3000 mile = $360
every 7500 oil and 15000 oil & filter = $1025

Significant savings (in the manufactures eye) with the increased service interval, and a sales point.

Now, changing the service intervals had a positive effect, it got us higher tech lubes and machinery that could actually run longer intervals.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 10:35:06 AM by porthole »
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2008, 10:38:56 AM »

How many remember when you were supposed to change the automatic trans fluid and pickup screen every two years? 

A lot of that had to do with the trans fluid itself. Once the fluid was changed you were required to go with the 2 year - 24K schedule. With Chrysler this eventually changed with the higher tech transmissions.

From the factory the trans' all came with a different fluid then was available post manufacture. Eventually we got ATF with a "+" designator, and with this superior fluid we were back up to the 100k service.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

kb

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 serk twilight/cobalt blue
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2008, 05:43:40 PM »

Thanks for the responce. It is not the matter of $50.It's the idea of getting my dollars worth. How many of  you would toss out a 1/2 bottle of 12 yr old scotch. because you didn't drink it when you first opened it? I do agree it pays to maintain  any machine to prevent brakedown. However to throw out 1/2 used oil seems to be a waste of money .KB
kb

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2008, 06:47:44 PM »

Thanks for the responce. It is not the matter of $50.It's the idea of getting my dollars worth. How many of  you would toss out a 1/2 bottle of 12 yr old scotch. because you didn't drink it when you first opened it? I do agree it pays to maintain  any machine to prevent brakedown. However to throw out 1/2 used oil seems to be a waste of money .KB

Comparing used oil to a partially consumed bottle of Scotch is quite a stretch of logic kb

B B

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2008, 07:20:01 PM »

I think it a fine line between the new syn oils lasting longer, but how long will the filter catch particulates before it goes to bypass??  :confused5: :nixweiss:

Oh yea, only throw out Scotch if it has more than two flies in it!!! ;)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 07:21:42 PM by Talon »

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2008, 08:20:19 PM »

Hell no  You take Granny's tea strainer and filter that hooch  :D

B B

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2008, 08:33:39 PM »

I think it a fine line between the new syn oils lasting longer, but how long will the filter catch particulates before it goes to bypass??  :confused5: :nixweiss:

The only way you ever throw Scotch, is over your gums and down the gullet.  ;) 
   :devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2008, 09:09:09 PM »

I am truly saddened by the fact that every thread seams to migrate to some sort of fortified spirit . You are supposed to be bikers and as such should act accordingly.  O waite you are,  NEVER MIND!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2008, 09:57:55 PM »

I am truly saddened by the fact that every thread seams to migrate to some sort of fortified spirit . You are supposed to be bikers and as such should act accordingly.  O waite you are,  NEVER MIND!

Buncha damned heathens!  And how about those folks posting in the Friday beer thread on other days of the week - what's up with that?  Heathens, I say!   :alcohol:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2008, 09:59:43 PM »

Is that Ye Olde English or are you Dan Quale's cousin

B B

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2008, 10:05:47 PM »

B B

I thought he was just a music fan :nixweiss: ?

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2008, 11:09:49 PM »

I am truly saddened by the fact that every thread seams to migrate to some sort of fortified spirit . You are supposed to be bikers and as such should act accordingly.  O wait you are,  NEVER MIND!

Hum? Not according to history! ::)

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2008, 03:32:33 PM »

B B
Dan Quail    Wasn't he the guy that shot hit x hunting buddy in the face .   :oops: O no that was DICK Cheney hunting Quail . He could run for next spokesman for the NRA.  :-\ 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 25 queries.