Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Anyone heard about the defective fuel pressure device in the tank??  (Read 5164 times)

beerman

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

My 08 SG with 3000 miles died for no apparent reason 3 hours away from the truck and trailer in the NC mountains on Tues.
Towed it home to Ohio and was told the fuel Pressure reg. in the tank crapped. Back Ordered everwhere. trying to pull one off the line I was told?
Local dealer here have an avg. of 3 bikes each waiting on this thing!
What's up? Anyone know what's going on?
-Beerman
2008 FLHX, 1997 FLSTS, 1982 BMW R65

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
Re: Anyone heard about the defective fuel pressure device in the tank??
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 08:09:16 PM »

Haven't heard of anyone around my area have trouble with the pressure regulator.  Had a buddy with a pin hole in the accordion hose that was fun to figure out.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 08:11:59 PM »

When Howie had whatever his issues were last week and Cybil needed service he reported the dealership doing his service telling him they had seen this failure several times in 08s.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 09:38:50 PM »

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

TimBone

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 04:12:51 PM »

Have heard a couple bikes in this area having the same problem too.

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 04:28:10 PM »

Nice info to know thanks.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 06:55:39 PM »

So far I've heard of bad fuel pumps (cracked housings), bad fuel filters (cracked housings) and bad fuel regulators! Not sure exactly what's bad fuel related on the '08's, one of these or all three. Or maybe it depends who you talk to. But one thing is certain, something's very wrong in the gas tanks. And it's not just CVO's, it's all '08's! :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 10:49:43 AM »

Can the gas filler cap go bad also and cause a poor running/not running engine?  :-\ spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 02:28:37 PM »

Can the gas filler cap go bad also and cause a poor running/not running engine?  :-\ spyder

The gas cap is vented, and if that vent were to fail in the closed position it could cause problems (stuck open causes excessive evaporative emissions).  This used to happen fairly often in the old days when the vent hole was in the top of the cap and overzealous neatniks filled the hole with wax.  The tank would develop a vacuum and the fuel wouldn't flow to the carburetor.  Don't see much of this on modern bikes, but I suppose it is still possible.  Real easy to diagnose, just remove the cap and see if the problem goes away.  And you shouldn't get a sucking sound when you open the cap.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 02:51:09 PM »

The gas cap is vented, and if that vent were to fail in the closed position it could cause problems (stuck open causes excessive evaporative emissions).  This used to happen fairly often in the old days when the vent hole was in the top of the cap and overzealous neatniks filled the hole with wax.  The tank would develop a vacuum and the fuel wouldn't flow to the carburetor.  Don't see much of this on modern bikes, but I suppose it is still possible.  Real easy to diagnose, just remove the cap and see if the problem goes away.  And you shouldn't get a sucking sound when you open the cap.

Jerry
thanks Jerry.  :2vrolijk_21: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 03:20:26 PM »

So far I've heard of bad fuel pumps (cracked housings), bad fuel filters (cracked housings) and bad fuel regulators! Not sure exactly what's bad fuel related on the '08's, one of these or all three. Or maybe it depends who you talk to. But one thing is certain, something's very wrong in the gas tanks. And it's not just CVO's, it's all '08's! :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)

What, did they get these parts from Taiwan too???

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 10:33:08 PM »

greetings, yes the 08's have a new filter and the new housing that is held together  with a u clip .  the housing will break , causing a fuel leak in the tank , low pressure. thy are on back order -go figure. film at 11.      axil   
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

bunt

• Full CVO Member
    • TN
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 11:42:06 PM »

Mine crapped out on me last week, supposedly defect fuel filter housing, caused major drop in fuel pressure. Dealer didn't have part in stock, on backorder, to their credit they pulled one out of an ultra on the floor and got me going same day.
From what I'm told problem is on pre 1-08 manufacture Touring bikes.
Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film. (Steven Wright)

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 08:01:23 AM »

I've been riding with two different guys when the issue happened on their '08s and I know a third.  The first time it happened the dealer was riding with us and showed me how to tell when it's the housing issue.  From what the service manager told me it's a cylinder that breaks off so I wonder if that cylinder is the fuel regulator? At any rate you can tell when it's the cracked housing/U clip by opening the cap and looking into the tank while turning the ignition to on.  You'll see fuel spraying all over the inside.  MY dealer is stocking extra fuel pumps so no-one I know has been down waiting.  They had one fixed the next day and one back on the road in thirty minutes.  One last peice of info... From what my dealer has seen, none have had the problem with more then 10000 miles on them.  And usually it's before 5000.  So, if you've ridden the hell out of it and it ain't broke, you probably won't need to fix it!

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

HD46FL

• I got Mine

• CVO1: 08 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 03 SE Road King
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 09:15:44 PM »

Hey Beerman, same here, but actually its the Filter Shell PN 62229-08A pissed me off, was on a week trip in the Smokies and lovin it, no cell phone, almost no reg phone, middle no where, lost about 5 hours of ridin, towed to Smokie Mtns HD, wonderful people fixed in 30 min.  Acts as though no fuel, pumps fuel (recycle) in tank, dealer has had about 12 incidents.

Bill
See Ya on the HiWays and ByWays up on Two Wheels.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.268 seconds with 25 queries.