Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Dangers of drinking and riding  (Read 7436 times)

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
Dangers of drinking and riding
« on: October 29, 2008, 07:53:10 AM »

Saw an obiturary in the paper yesterday of an aquaintance I know that rides. The obit didn't mention a cause of death, but I called a mutual friend and found out the story. Three of them had been at a bar until closing time and they left together, but one took off much faster and rounded a curve too wide and hit a tree. Instant death. No helmet, and probably not much other protective gear, but in this case, it wouldn't have mattered anyway. As they say, you cant' fix stupid. I only mention this as a reminder of the dangers of drinking and riding, or driving for that matter. I've been guilty myself in the past, not to extremes, but guilty none the less. I'm reminded of the saying that there's lots of old bikers, and lots of old drunks, but there aren't many old drunk bikers. The two just don't mix. Maybe I'm just showing my age, but when the kickstands go down and the beer comes out, the kickstand stays down. May my friend rest in peace and I hope his two beautiful daugthers overcome this tragic death.
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Dangers of drinking and riding
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 08:38:38 AM »

There were four bikers in my area that killed themselves this summer while riding drunk.  None had extenuating circumstances.  They just went off the road and hit something.  Three had passengers that were also killed.  I didn't know any of them personally, but I knew who they were.  Some were "friends of friends".  Each had a large funeral preceded by a ride of hundreds of bikers.  Each death was mourned as a tragedy.  There was lots of talk of how sad it was.  There were fundraisers for the children who were left behind.  Even though each was legally drunk at the time of their demise, I didn't hear much about it from the biker crowd.  I don't understand that...  I thought that was strange...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 09:12:28 AM »

Yes it's always hard to deal with death especially on a relatively young person and when it could have been prevented. Many times it's little mistakes adding up to the big tragedy.
In our area it used to be fairly common due to a military person coming back from overseas with saved back pay, going to the motorcycle shop and buying the fastest bike they could buy, not much training, then straight to a topless bar where lots of alcohol was consumed. Then they would haul back to the base as fast as they could and usually have a fatality on the way back to the base. So sad to see.
Now I see some folks riding skills deteriorate at poker runs when the five stops are at bars and some folks feel they need a drink or two at each stop. I try to stay away from those riders and hope they aren't behind me in a group ride. I have seen several low speed rear enders occur from reaction times and attention spans being dulled.
I have no problem with people drinking I just wish some would be more responsible when they do.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 09:17:46 AM by VaEagle »

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 10:58:15 AM »

...Now I see some folks riding skills deteriorate at poker runs when the five stops are at bars and some folks feel they need a drink or two at each stop. I try to stay away from those riders and hope they aren't behind me in a group ride. I have seen several low speed rear enders occur from reaction times and attention spans being dulled.
I have no problem with people drinking I just wish some would be more responsible when they do.

First, I'm sorry to hear about the loss of life, it hurts way beyond those that leave us.

I don't care what folks do in the privacy of their homes or at public places that I don't have to get involved in their problems. I would much prefer they be behind me than in front of me if in fact they are drinking.

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 11:22:39 AM »

Well I am ashamed to say, but "been there and done that".  I thank God that He watched over me until I learned better.  Never had a crash on a bike or in a car and never had an encounter with the law while intoxicated.

I have spent a lot of time at rallies talking with riders that had way too much to drink.  Not talking about anything..... just talking to keep them from getting on their bike and trying to leave the event.  I have actually had guys come back up to me the next morning and thank me for not letting them leave.

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 11:45:55 AM »

Saw an obiturary in the paper yesterday of an aquaintance I know that rides. The obit didn't mention a cause of death, but I called a mutual friend and found out the story. Three of them had been at a bar until closing time and they left together, but one took off much faster and rounded a curve too wide and hit a tree. Instant death. No helmet, and probably not much other protective gear, but in this case, it wouldn't have mattered anyway. As they say, you cant' fix stupid. I only mention this as a reminder of the dangers of drinking and riding, or driving for that matter. I've been guilty myself in the past, not to extremes, but guilty none the less. I'm reminded of the saying that there's lots of old bikers, and lots of old drunks, but there aren't many old drunk bikers. The two just don't mix. Maybe I'm just showing my age, but when the kickstands go down and the beer comes out, the kickstand stays down. May my friend rest in peace and I hope his two beautiful daugthers overcome this tragic death.

Well put. It's like driving with a loaded gun pointed to your head. It just doesn't mix. Lucky he didn't kill an innocent bystander. THE MUFFMAN

resqdoc

• Full CVO Member
  • de oppresso libre
    • MT

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 11:46:35 AM »

Worth reminding: Alcohol affects balance before other effects are evident. It doesn't take balance to drive a car, we all know how driving is affected before the driver thinks "I'm drunk." The effect on balance is even more dramatic as it pertains to the skills necessary to successfully ride a motorcycle.
2007 FLHRSE3 with D&D Fatcats, SERT, AK-40 & Bitubo 330 mm, Glide-Pro, Clearview windscreen

AZSSE

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 11:48:40 AM »

I have to admit that I have been guilty of drinking and driving many times in the past, but God saw fit to let me survive until I was able to drink most of the stupid out of me. I have reached the point where I don't get behind the wheel of any vehicle after drinking. I am so sorry for the people and their families and I hope that others learn from their experiences.

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 01:12:52 PM »

Just remember in this day and age it is hard as hell to ride a bike sober with them crazy cagers out there let alone try and drive a bike after drinking!!!!!!!!!!!
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 01:25:28 PM »

Just remember in this day and age it is hard as hell to ride a bike sober with them crazy cagers out there let alone try and drive a bike after drinking!!!!!!!!!!!

If your drivin' a bike, you better not even think about drinking. Remember you ride a bike, and drive a car.

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 01:40:04 PM »

I have a zero policy for myself and those I ride in a group with.  What you do is your business and I refuse to preach or babysit.  But I don't want the guy next to me taking me out because he or she wasn't quite as sober as they thought.  I also know that right before you get drunk you get to the point that you believe you're not impared.  And that makes a rider very dangerous.  I'm sorry for the loss of a friend but I don't consider this kind of thing a tragedy.  I consider it a tragedy when a inocent biker gets hit by a cage, or animal, or is felled by a disease.  But riding drunk is like riding on the extreme edge of control... Sooner or later it catches up to you, and quite literally, there may be hell to pay.

On a related note, HOG officer training emphasis to the point of preaching, that you adopt a no alchohol at rides or chapter sponsered events policy.  Did any one besides me notice the 3 to 1 beer vs. soda vendors at the club hog 25 party in Milwaukee during the 105th stuff?  Yeah, they all had designated riders to get their bikes back. Sure.  Hypocrites always annoy me.

Ride Safe,
J-Carr

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 02:15:49 PM »

I like to drink as much or more than most. That being said, I don't go on most poker runs because the majority are bar hopper runs. When I ride I don't drink, when I drink ( which is not too often - HaHA! ) I don't ride. Old age made me smarter.
I feel for the families but not for the dumb a$$ drunks.
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2008, 09:11:09 PM »

I am saddened to read of this lost...GOD Bless This Family.

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 07:04:11 PM »

We had a couple non-  members in MV that had too much to drink,but didn't think twice about riding. Lucky for them nothing happened, but I did try to talk to them and offer them to leave their bikes at the motel and give them a ride to theirs,but declined my offer.
It just made me feel helpless that they said NO.They were TWISTED!!!!!!
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2008, 07:45:34 AM »

I remember them Dave...Pie eyed drunk...It is a numbers game at that point because you know they will do it again.
Sooner or later the number will pop and all you can do is hope the crash is not too bad.  :-\

:nixweiss:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 24 queries.