Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Can anyone tell what kind of motorcycle this is?  (Read 5292 times)

TheVgirl

• 1K CVO Member
  • Hold on bro! Life is one heckuva ride.

• CVO1: 2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE2 Sunrise Yellow Pearl and Stingray Silver sold
Can anyone tell what kind of motorcycle this is?
« on: April 20, 2009, 01:07:30 PM »

Ok, motorcycle and/or movie buffs here's some trivia for you.  A few years back, you may remember the X-men movie featured a Harley and even had a contest to give it away.  I can't remember which movie but I know it was Cyclops who rode a Vrod.  I saw this trailer and wondered what kind of motorcycle Wolverine would ride.  It's shown in the trailer from different angles, but this is best view I could get of it and still can't tell what it is.  Anyone know?  Of course, this is completely unimportant but I was still curious.  The movie doesn't come out until May 1st so I couldn't just google the answer!

Cheers,
V
~TheVgirl~  2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black

"The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, but on a motorcycle you want to take the longest way to get there."  - Jerry "Motorman" Palladino

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
Re: Can anyone tell what kind of motorcycle this is?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 02:39:18 PM »

I found another shot that looks like maybe a frame or two after your shot V. It shows more of the tank and may help some of the pros on this site figure things out. My guess would be a Harley FLH from late 50s or early 60s.
I did a google search of "wolverine motorcycle" and came up with several versions from diecast models from the first movie to cartoon versions, all different of course.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 03:02:55 PM »

That is easy. It is an FL. Maybe a pan or a shovel or even a shovel/pan. But it is a FL series! Looking at the rear shock it could be a 1958 through 1984. But because it has a drum brake in the front it would be 1972 or earlier. The headlight tells me it is in fact a FLH and looking at the seat it is a late model Police Solo. When you look at the oil bottle and what you can see of the motor it appears to be a early model FLH. I think you have seen one of those bikes in the shop when you lived here!

But you knew I would have known. Why didn't you just call me and ask! :oops:

Be Safe

THE DAWG
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 03:14:12 PM by DCFIREMANN »
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

BigLew55

• Elite CVO Member
    • IA

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 03:51:23 PM »

If you look closely at the primary cover, it appears to be one of the black tin variety and the oil tank is a horseshoe style, which would narrow it down to '58-64.  These are both black, but I don't know if that signifies anything like black fork sliders on a '49 do?

Also the tank emblem is '63-'65, so that would suggest a '63 or '64.  Any of these could have been customized though.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 03:52:55 PM by BigLew55 »
Big Lew
IBA #595

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 05:36:12 PM »

If you look closely at the primary cover, it appears to be one of the black tin variety and the oil tank is a horseshoe style, which would narrow it down to '58-64.  These are both black, but I don't know if that signifies anything like black fork sliders on a '49 do?

Also the tank emblem is '63-'65, so that would suggest a '63 or '64.  Any of these could have been customized though.

The aluminum headlamp nacelle was first used in 1960

Clearly a pre ’65 horseshoe oil bag with the 6V battery.

68 was the last year for the left side front brake.

A little fuzzy, but you can see the tin primary with the clutch rod running from the mousetrap to an area behind and just above the primary housing. Mousetrap Clutch last used in ‘67

Also a little fuzzy, but I’m sure that a Panhead intake manifold is pictured just behind the riders knee.

That solo seat was used way the hell back and not at all uncommon in the ‘60’s

The only piece that doesn’t appear correct is the rear wheel sprocket. It looks like this machine is not running a rear drum brake. It was not uncommon for people to update the early drum brakes to the ’73 and up, square swingarm style with the banana or other aftermarket brake. This swingarm has the forward mounted chain adjusters which indicate that the swingarm may be a custom or aftermarket piece. The original drum brake swingarm had this style chain adjuster.

I’m with BigLew;  :2vrolijk_21: there is enough correct equipment on this machine to indicate that it is very likely a ’63 or ’64 Panhead.

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 05:46:49 PM »

Holy crap... my guess was just "Old Black Harley"!

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 05:56:59 PM »

Holy crap... my guess was just "Old Black Harley"!

DING...DING..DING....We have a winner, folks. Just don't ask me what you just won. :)

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 06:12:17 PM »

The aluminum headlamp nacelle was first used in 1960

Clearly a pre ’65 horseshoe oil bag with the 6V battery.

68 was the last year for the left side front brake.

A little fuzzy, but you can see the tin primary with the clutch rod running from the mousetrap to an area behind and just above the primary housing. Mousetrap Clutch last used in ‘67

Also a little fuzzy, but I’m sure that a Panhead intake manifold is pictured just behind the riders knee.

That solo seat was used way the hell back and not at all uncommon in the ‘60’s

The only piece that doesn’t appear correct is the rear wheel sprocket. It looks like this machine is not running a rear drum brake. It was not uncommon for people to update the early drum brakes to the ’73 and up, square swingarm style with the banana or other aftermarket brake. This swingarm has the forward mounted chain adjusters which indicate that the swingarm may be a custom or aftermarket piece. The original drum brake swingarm had this style chain adjuster.

I’m with BigLew;  :2vrolijk_21: there is enough correct equipment on this machine to indicate that it is very likely a ’63 or ’64 Panhead.

I would have to agree with the exception of some other parts. So my final answer is A HYBRID!!!!!! A mixture of a few different years.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 10:00:35 PM »

there is no rear brake! chopperrrrrr.  heinz 57            axil
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 10:09:01 PM »

My curiosity got the best of me and I had to fool around a little on google this afternoon. I found a couple of tidbits to stir into this mystery. The text in the XMenMcy.jpg confirms that Wolverine is supposed to be riding a 1964 “Motorcycle”. The inset photo pictures a dirtbike, presumably used for stunts, which was mocked up to look like the Panhead, complete with the tank emblems.

Regarding the Panhead in the earlier photos, while it is certainly possible that this machine is a composite mock up intended to look like a ’64, they sure sweat the details on it; all but a few details are from that period. The items I see which don’t fit the period are the wheels and the rear sprocket. If we can get a shot of this machine from the right side which gives us a good look at the gearcase, that would help to put this to bed; the external overhead oiliers were used on the Duo Glide’s from ’63 through ’64.

Regarding the rear brake, from the photo it certainly looks like there is no rear brake. Can you imagine riding a machine like that with just a front drum to stop it!! Back in the day, the kindest thing that you could say about the brakes on those machines was that they were offered!

BALIS

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 02:48:44 AM »

My guess it is a Duo glide 63 or 64.

TheVgirl

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 02:53:03 AM »

Dang!  You guys are good!

"The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, but on a motorcycle you want to take the longest way to get there."  - Jerry "Motorman" Palladino

TheVgirl

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2009, 01:27:23 PM »

I saw the movie last night and in the movie they said it was a '64.   :2vrolijk_21:

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2009, 05:05:00 PM »

I still call drum brakes speed reduser's.  (if its not raining)            axil
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

TheVgirl

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2009, 08:31:54 PM »

So that's why he had to use his blades to stop!!!!  :-)

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 24 queries.